Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Where's Stargirl (in comic books) these days?

NOTE: At the end of the Stargirl Spring Break Special released May 25th (2021), we had this:
    But if/when that Stargirl #1 may be coming, there doesn't seem to be any information yet?

We had been talking about this for a while in the Stargirl Spring Break Special #1 (one-shot) preview / discussion thread, but since we recently learned the January 2022 solicitations AND had "Fandome" this weekend, it may now be a question of if/when in 2022 we may hear more about any Stargirl comic book.

If anybody hears any rumors or news about the Stargirl #1 comic book, please feel free to share it here.

Stargirl is always on reserve for Geoff Johns. He has a ton of other things going on and I’m sure comics are way down on his list. So it’s probably gonna be a long time before we see Stargirl in the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Stargirl is always on reserve for Geoff Johns. He has a ton of other things going on and I’m sure comics are way down on his list. So it’s probably gonna be a long time before we see Stargirl in the DCU.
    My problem with that excuse is that they put that "To Be Continued in Stargirl #1!" at the end of the one-shot's story.
    I'm assuming Geoff Johns was aware of that, so it should imply an obligation for at least another one-shot if nothing else.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Same place as the rest of the JSA and many other fan favorites, Major.

Plans get cancelled all the time. We don't know any more than you do.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I can see Johns being more occupied with the show to worry about the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Same place as the rest of the JSA and many other fan favorites, Major.

Plans get cancelled all the time. We don't know any more than you do.
    But, again, they shouldn't have put that bit at the end if there weren't already plans to issue the comic book soon after.

I was among those saying that the stuff with the Justice Society in that same issue wasn't really more than another tease at that point, but I was hoping things would be a little different with that bit about Stargirl #1.

It's especially frustrating since I'm not aware of anybody at least saying what's happened with the issue and if/when we may ever know more.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But, again, they shouldn't have put that bit at the end if there weren't already plans to issue the comic book soon after.

I was among those saying that the stuff with the Justice Society in that same issue wasn't really more than another tease at that point, but I was hoping things would be a little different with that bit about Stargirl #1.

It's especially frustrating since I'm not aware of anybody at least saying what's happened with the issue and if/when we may ever know more.
    There probably were and they got cancelled.

Welcome to corporate comic books and NDAs.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Stargirl is always on reserve for Geoff Johns. He has a ton of other things going on and I’m sure comics are way down on his list . . .
    Still nothing in the February solicitations for this that I noticed.

I wonder if Geoff Johns is "too busy" to bother with it, or is he maybe somewhat on the outs with DC and the post-DiDio regime now?

As for Stargirl herself, as a solo character she obviously belongs to Johns not just because he created her but because he created her as a way to honor his deceased sister. That makes sense to me, though it doesn't mean she can't be in other titles. Stargirl #1 though would have been by Johns and he's too busy messing up DC TV and movies (like WW84) to write comics. His writing on Titans has been atrocious, I found the Stargirl special to be a bore and I'm beginning to think he's already aged out the way that a Levitz or Claremont or Wolfman have. Which is a shame. I loved everything he was writing before he moved over to the film/TV side--I was really upset that the great things that were set up in Brightest Day were preempted by New 52.

But I don't need to see him on Stargirl or JSA going forward. First, I don't need a Stargirl comic and second I don't need to see Johns return to JSA well. I'd much rather see someone else do that. My first choice would be Brad Meltzer, though I know that's highly unlikely. I don't think a writer has to be a 'good fit' for any property. A great writer is a great fit for any property. Writers and artists, not characters, make for great stories.

Apart from having missed the JSA and the Fab Five lineup of TT (I do not consider the NTT lineup to be the classic one, though I am fond of it), I don't particularly care which characters have or will show up. I only care that we have great creative teams writing whatever they want to write, especially now that editorial interference is no longer a thing, which it isn't. Editors are largely getting out of the way under the new regime in order to let great creators create freely.

Look, the whole idea here is that at the end of May's Stargirl Spring Break Special is that
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    NOTE: At the end of the Stargirl Spring Break Special released May 25th (2021), we had this:
    The question is WHEN (if ever?) DC will publish that Stargirl #1 that was teased at the end of that story.

If they didn't have it planned / scheduled at that time, maybe they shouldn't have put "To be continued in Stargirl #1" in that last panel?

Well, May 2022 solicitations should be announced soon.

It would be criminal if there wasn't at least another Stargirl one-shot announced for May, but I don't know if anything is likely on that front.