Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48
  1. #1
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,234

    Default Spidey Bromances

    This is a thread to post pictures and quotes from Spidey’s various bromances.

    IMO Spidey has had four real bromances in his books.

    Spidey-Human Torch
    Spidey-Daredevil
    Spidey-X-Man (Nate Grey)… defunct. I don’t even know if the character is still alive.
    Spidey-Ben Reilly … was defunct, but might return depending on how Beyond turns out.

    Some might say Ezekiel or Iron-Man, but those were mentor roles. Others might say Wolverine and Kaine, but while Spidey has some good interactions with them, they’re a bit too antagonistic or tense to be “bromances.”

  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    5,723

    Default

    Wolvie is a cold bromance but one nonetheless.Specially after the Spider-man extra issue 2 birthday story and their 2 team up series.

    Deadpool is one of the most prominent bromances w/ Peter

    Glad you included Nate.Him and Capt. Britain have underrated friendships w/ Peter in 616.

    Luke would be close to one but not a bromance, also Jessica and Peter are closer.

  3. #3
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    9,360

    Default

    Fundamentally, Peter's always going to put his romances over his bromances, he's Marvel's most heterosexual character who fundamentally relates to women more than men. He's not a "bro", and certainly violates the first tenet of bro-dom, i.e. "bros before h--". Peter's always going to be the other way around.

    Canonically, it does seem that Harry is his closest male friendship (even if he wasn't best man at Peter's wedding) but that seems to be what Marvel's going for. But overall those choices you list are pretty neat.

  4. #4
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Mothcave
    Posts
    2,248

    Default

    Flash is pretty 'Bro' but they've never quite had that relationship. I guess Pete and Venom could go that way now that they're cool (once Eddie is back in black and no longer God).
    Just. Be. Nice.

  5. #5
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Spider-Fan… Deadpool, right! How could I forget Pool?

    Jack, no one is saying Pete is gay or that he puts his male friendships above MJ. And no one says “bros before h—“ except dumb edge-lords probably still in highschool. But Peter has definitely referred to other superheroes as “bro” before, especially Ben Reilly. You can be a bro without being misogynist. There’s nothing wrong with extremely close and platonic male friendships; look at Holmes and Watson, or Cap and Bucky, or Jesse and Cassidy from ‘Preacher’, or Murtaugh and Riggs from ‘Lethal Weapon’, Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid, etc., etc.

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member TheCape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Venezuela
    Posts
    8,646

    Default

    In the Marvel Universe his bros are Human Torch and Daredevil, Johnny is probably the best male friend than Peter has. Matt has been a bit manipulative of Peter in certain ocassions, but overall he is a good man deep down and Pete fan see that so they get along.

    His interactions with Wolverine and Deadpool are fun, but him being friends with then doesn't make a lot of sense. At least Wolverine and were more like "we respect eacth other but we don't like to spend time together" until Aaron's mini, still as i said, they do have some good interactions.

    In his own corner Harry is his bro, but to be honest is hard for me to call him his best friend with the really crappy stuff that Harry did to Peter (i get why he did it, but man he is lucky that he didn't kill anybody). There is Flash, who generally has become a better person and Peter was able to see that, althought it would be nice to have him say an actual apology.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

    "I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

  7. #7
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    5,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Fundamentally, Peter's always going to put his romances over his bromances, he's Marvel's most heterosexual character who fundamentally relates to women more than men. He's not a "bro", and certainly violates the first tenet of bro-dom, i.e. "bros before h--". Peter's always going to be the other way around.

    Canonically, it does seem that Harry is his closest male friendship (even if he wasn't best man at Peter's wedding) but that seems to be what Marvel's going for. But overall those choices you list are pretty neat.
    Eh that's pretty normal.Relationships specially the ones Peter been in are genuinely loving each other for the most part, and the whole "bros before h*es" thing is for people who casually date(BND Peter could fit here but it's a longshot).Pre-OMD and current Peter usually date seriously rather than just for fun/one night stands.

    Also Peter relating to and being friends w/ women easily is something I relate too.Specially in high school a lot of male friends groups have jocks who'll bully you around.When the years pass by boundaries melt down and then diff. more diverse friend groups form and those friendships are the one that sticks.

    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Spider-Fan… Deadpool, right! How could I forget Pool?

    Jack, no one is saying Pete is gay or that he puts his male friendships above MJ. And no one says “bros before h—“ except dumb edge-lords probably still in highschool. But Peter has definitely referred to other superheroes as “bro” before, especially Ben Reilly. You can be a bro without being misogynist. There’s nothing wrong with extremely close and platonic male friendships; look at Holmes and Watson, or Cap and Bucky, or Jesse and Cassidy from ‘Preacher’, or Murtaugh and Riggs from ‘Lethal Weapon’, Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid, etc., etc.
    Happens to the best of us

    Yeah, I think Betty explained it best.

    https://twitter.com/sighsin616/statu...164297/photo/2

    "... but he's ALWAYS there when no one else is..." that kinda thing makes you a great friend, the best kind IMO.Us Guys usually take a bit longer to come around on stuff like this IMO, hence he gets along w/ women early on and then both when grown up.(Sorry for the generalizing, there are many exceptions but I feel we kinda need to generalize to judge such things )

  8. #8
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    75,795

    Default

    Spidey and Wolverine bonded a lot while they were on the New Avengers together and then there was Aaron's mini. Wolvie is probably the person Spidey is closest too on the X-Men.

  9. #9
    Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Is thing on?
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Spidey-X-Man (Nate Grey)… defunct. I don’t even know if the character is still alive.
    He's stuck in a pocket universe of his own making or something or another after Age of X-Man, an event so well conceived it makes Spider-geddon look like "The Night Gwen Stacy died".

    Nate's likely one of the most mishandled characters I've seen as far as "headlining his own monthly" and whatnot goes. They just kept him being an immature loose canon who bumps on someone, then sticks around that person for a little while, then that person goes away for reasons and they start the loop anew. Then you had Ellis' Shaman run, then they killed him off, then they brought him back just because, then he was so depowered he had trouble using the barest amount of telekinesis... then he's just in Marvel limbo not doing much of anything... then Age of X-Man happens and by the end of it he's basically looking white-haired Jesus Christ dabbling into philosophy with a version of Magneto that stayed behind with him in said pocket universe.

    Yeah let's go list the characters Spidey got pretty friendly with. It'll be better.

    I guess Nova doesn't quite qualify but they always seemed to hit it off when they got together. I remember I thought it was a particular bitch when DnA wrote a short little story with Peter and him solving some low stakes crime when he had become a "Secret Avenger", then he immediately died in Thanos Imperative.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

  10. #10
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Eh that's pretty normal.Relationships specially the ones Peter been in are genuinely loving each other for the most part, and the whole "bros before h*es" thing is for people who casually date(BND Peter could fit here but it's a longshot).Pre-OMD and current Peter usually date seriously rather than just for fun/one night stands.

    Also Peter relating to and being friends w/ women easily is something I relate too.Specially in high school a lot of male friends groups have jocks who'll bully you around.When the years pass by boundaries melt down and then diff. more diverse friend groups form and those friendships are the one that sticks.
    Yeah, isn't everyone who is in a healthy loving relationship practically closer to their partner than to their guy friends?

    My vote for best bromance would go to Peter and Johnny. You can write an essay how similar they are to one another. Also it's cool how their powers and costumes match their personalities. Johnny is a hot-head and doesn't wear a mask, while Peter's powers are more defensive and is fully covered from head to toe.

    I wouldn't consider Spider-Man and Wolverine friends, though. There is mutual respect between them, but they get on each other's nerves too much to consider them close.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    In his own corner Harry is his bro, but to be honest is hard for me to call him his best friend with the really crappy stuff that Harry did to Peter (i get why he did it, but man he is lucky that he didn't kill anybody). There is Flash, who generally has become a better person and Peter was able to see that, althought it would be nice to have him say an actual apology.
    If we are just talking about Spider-Man's corner of the universe, I always thought Randy Robertson was the most socially compatible with Peter, even more than Flash and Harry. Randy is like Johnny in the sense that he can mischievous and very outgoing, so he can bring out that side of Peter in the same way Johnny does. Also Randy knew Peter since college like Harry, and is pro-Spider-Man like Flash. Unlike Harry and Flash however, Randy is a social worker and was an activist while in college. He doesn't like Jameson and even had his work as an activist smeared by the Bugle on a few occasions. Just based on his background, he seems like someone who would really "get" Peter and what being Spider-Man is all about if Peter were to confide in him. But sadly no writer has ever taken advantage of these similarities, making Randy essentially The Best Friend That Got Away .
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 10-18-2021 at 09:21 AM.

  11. #11
    Extraordinary Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    5,815

    Default

    It has to be Peter and Johnny. I loved that little rivalry they had at the start and then they turned that into respect and then full on friendship. Even when they were rivals when Spiderman ran away from Green Goblin in the early days Torch was so worried about Spiderman he wrote that message in the sky for him to meet at the spot of their last meeting and he was concerned when Spidey did not show. So the foundation for real friendship was always there.

    As for Wovlerine he and Spidey respect each other and there have been times Spidey has talked to him about things he felt he couldnt talk to anyone else about. Like his whole no killing rule and how it effected things in the world when it came to the Green Goblin.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  12. #12
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    5,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Yeah, isn't everyone who is in a healthy loving relationship practically closer to their partner than to their guy friends?

    My vote for best bromance would go to Peter and Johnny. You can write an essay how similar they are to one another. Also it's cool how their powers and costumes match their personalities. Johnny is a hot-head and doesn't wear a mask, while Peter's powers are more defensive and is fully covered from head to toe.

    I wouldn't consider Spider-Man and Wolverine friends, though. There is mutual respect between them, but they get on each other's nerves too much to consider them close.
    Not just guy friends too, any friends IMO.And it goes both ways w/ MJ as well.

    Yeah, it really is one of the better friendships in superhero comics.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Spidey-X-Man (Nate Grey)… defunct. I don’t even know if the character is still alive.
    I vaguely recall what I think was a Christmas story between them on the 90's, was there anything besides that?

    Others might say Wolverine and Kaine, but while Spidey has some good interactions with them, they’re a bit too antagonistic or tense to be “bromances.”
    I think the last time Peter and Kaine talked with each other for a few minutes was at the end of Spider-Island in ASM#672, kinda sad since that was pretty much the point Kaine became more heroic for good, so their relationship could improve from there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Fundamentally, Peter's always going to put his romances over his bromances, he's Marvel's most heterosexual character who fundamentally relates to women more than men. He's not a "bro", and certainly violates the first tenet of bro-dom, i.e. "bros before h--". Peter's always going to be the other way around.
    Jack, this isn't about gay relationships lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Spidey and Wolverine bonded a lot while they were on the New Avengers together and then there was Aaron's mini. Wolvie is probably the person Spidey is closest too on the X-Men.
    Considering Marvel occasionally referenced Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, you'd expect it to be Iceman lol.

    Then again, I guess a friendship with Iceman would just be the same thing as Johnny's.

    Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    He's stuck in a pocket universe of his own making or something or another after Age of X-Man, an event so well conceived it makes Spider-geddon look like "The Night Gwen Stacy died".
    From what I saw, Age of X-Man's world had a "no romantic relationships" rule, just this rule alone would doom the universe into never working, X-Men are pretty good are fucking with each other, in both senses too.

    Nate's likely one of the most mishandled characters I've seen as far as "headlining his own monthly" and whatnot goes. They just kept him being an immature loose canon who bumps on someone, then sticks around that person for a little while, then that person goes away for reasons and they start the loop anew.
    I hear they also depowered him a lot during it lol.

    Anyways, Spidey once in a while has cool moments with Dr. Strange, Doctor Strange#390 even has Spidey showing up to give him a pep talk (Well, after a dumb scene where Spidey wanted to talk with a spider for some reason...):




  14. #14
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    75,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I think the last time Peter and Kaine talked with each other for a few minutes was at the end of Spider-Island in ASM#672, kinda sad since that was pretty much the point Kaine became more heroic for good, so their relationship could improve from there.
    Clone Conspiracy?
    Considering Marvel occasionally referenced Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, you'd expect it to be Iceman lol.

    Then again, I guess a friendship with Iceman would just be the same thing as Johnny's.
    I remember that one issue where Iceman attacked Spidey because he thought he was a criminal. I think it was around the Sam Bullit arc?

    They've also both been voiced by James Arnold Taylor and Yuri Lowenthal.
    Anyways, Spidey once in a while has cool moments with Dr. Strange, Doctor Strange#390 even has Spidey showing up to give him a pep talk (Well, after a dumb scene where Spidey wanted to talk with a spider for some reason...):



    Peter and Stephen are a classic team-up with each other both because of the first time it happened and the shared Ditko connection.

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Clone Conspiracy?
    Ah, right, that happened...

    I'm pretty sure Kaine is just a douche to Peter there, thinking he was the one always dooming humanity and all.

    I remember that one issue where Iceman attacked Spidey because he thought he was a criminal. I think it was around the Sam Bullit arc?
    Yeah it was.

    They've also both been voiced by James Arnold Taylor and Yuri Lowenthal.
    Lowenthal voiced Iceman? Huh... Surprising wikipedia doesn't list it, he voiced Iceman more than once.

    Checking wikipedia here, Taylor also voiced Captain Cold, wonder if there are more ice characters .

    Peter and Stephen are a classic team-up with each other both because of the first time it happened and the shared Ditko connection.
    When was the first time the team-up happened again? I know Strange randomly showed up in ASM Annual#1, but that was just a cameo to adventise Strange's comic, like everyone hero who shows up there lol.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •