Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Not just guy friends too, any friends IMO.And it goes both ways w/ MJ as well.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Lowenthal voiced Iceman? Huh... Surprising wikipedia doesn't list it, he voiced Iceman more than once.
    Yeah, I think the first time was Wolverine and the X-Men and then in a few games.
    Checking wikipedia here, Taylor also voiced Captain Cold, wonder if there are more ice characters .
    I feel like there are .
    When was the first time the team-up happened again? I know Strange randomly showed up in ASM Annual#1, but that was just a cameo to adventise Strange's comic, like everyone hero who shows up there lol.
    I think I'm remembering an issue where Spidey gets trapped in the Dark Dimension or something and he and Strange end up working in tandem?

When was the first time the team-up happened again? I know Strange randomly showed up in ASM Annual#1, but that was just a cameo to adventise Strange's comic, like everyone hero who shows up there lol.
    I think it was Amazing Spiderman Annual 2 where a guy steals the Wand of Watoomb.

And all of the cameos in Amazing Spiderman Annual 1 were lame appearances to sell their own books. Spiderman reading a newpaper and being blown off the wall by Thor Flying by. Giantman and The Wasp stopping a couple thugs in two panels I think. Ironman showing up after Spidey beat Electro, Captain America telling Reed he has never met Spiderman and none of his teammates where there ate the moment, and The Xmen reacting to The Human Torch's message for Spiderman. All of these panels had a so and so appears in their own book out now!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Anyways, Spidey once in a while has cool moments with Dr. Strange, Doctor Strange#390 even has Spidey showing up to give him a pep talk (Well, after a dumb scene where Spidey wanted to talk with a spider for some reason...):
    As someone who has come to really enjoy the Strange-Spidey dynamic, I absolutely loved #390 from Donny Cates. Probably one of my favorite single issues of any comic in the past few years.

-Pav, who also highly recommends Spider-Man: Fever as often as he can...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I think the first time was Wolverine and the X-Men and then in a few games.
    Hah, that shows how little I check that cartoon (Only watched a few scenes on youtube), 'cause I'd be able to tell right away it's him, his voice is very recognizable lol.

I think I'm remembering an issue where Spidey gets trapped in the Dark Dimension or something and he and Strange end up working in tandem?
    Don't think I read that one, earliest team-up that I know of is in ASM#109.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I think it was Amazing Spiderman Annual 2 where a guy steals the Wand of Watoomb.
    Checking out here, and yeah, Spidey teams-up with Strange there.

And all of the cameos in Amazing Spiderman Annual 1 were lame appearances to sell their own books. Spiderman reading a newpaper and being blown off the wall by Thor Flying by. Giantman and The Wasp stopping a couple thugs in two panels I think. Ironman showing up after Spidey beat Electro, Captain America telling Reed he has never met Spiderman and none of his teammates where there ate the moment, and The Xmen reacting to The Human Torch's message for Spiderman. All of these panels had a so and so appears in their own book out now!
    Yeah, I said the other heroes only show up to get their comics advertised, was really lame lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    As someone who has come to really enjoy the Strange-Spidey dynamic, I absolutely loved #390 from Donny Cates. Probably one of my favorite single issues of any comic in the past few years.

-Pav, who also highly recommends Spider-Man: Fever as often as he can...
    Yeah it was alright, though again, don't really like the scene before the pep talk lol.

Hah, that shows how little I check that cartoon (Only watched a few scenes on youtube), 'cause I'd be able to tell right away it's him, his voice is very recognizable lol.

Don't think I read that one, earliest team-up that I know of is in ASM#109.

Checking out here, and yeah, Spidey teams-up with Strange there.

Yeah, I said the other heroes only show up to get their comics advertised, was really lame lol.

Yeah it was alright, though again, don't really like the scene before the pep talk lol.
    Just went back and saw that. my bad. yea it was pretty lame. The worst case of Shameless self promotion. I a hero in another book should be a cool event. Not just a random pop up to sell a book. I am really shocked they did not work in The Hulk and Millie the Model since everyone else was pretty much in there.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Yeah, isn't everyone who is in a healthy loving relationship practically closer to their partner than to their guy friends?
    Well there's this belief that a guy should do guy stuff with their friends and that's somehow a special thing and bond and so on. It's a way homosocial tendencies, i.e. men socializing with those of their own gender, reproduces itself, with the partner/spouse kind of treated as part of the home or property and so on. You see this a lot in sitcoms and TV shows and a lot of movies and so on.

And just to be clear to the guys on Page 1...one can be heterosexual and homosocial. It's got nothing to do with homosexuality, lol.

My vote for best bromance would go to Peter and Johnny. You can write an essay how similar they are to one another. Also it's cool how their powers and costumes match their personalities. Johnny is a hot-head and doesn't wear a mask, while Peter's powers are more defensive and is fully covered from head to toe.
    Still Johnny was the last guy of the Fantastic Four to learn Peter's secret identity. So it's a friendship that's maybe more one-sided on Johnny's part (i.e. he feels closer to Peter than vice-versa). Johnny is very much a guy's guy, who likes hanging out with guys and that kind of explains his messy love-life but it also explains why he and Peter don't get along too well. I always think that there's a part of Peter that thinks if "I never got powers and Johnny met me in high school, I'd have hated him and he'd maybe make fun of me."

I wouldn't consider Spider-Man and Wolverine friends, though. There is mutual respect between them, but they get on each other's nerves too much to consider them close.
    Spider-Man and Wolverine are only "friends" in that both their toys and merch sell well so Marvel like putting them together and having them hang out. They aren't friends in a character sense (the same applies to Deadpool as well). Spider-Man has to hold his nose hanging out with a slicing and dicing murderer and all-around self-righteous a--hole. And Peter's not above abusing Wolverine's healing factor by applying lethal force on him, like decking him out of a skyscraper.

A song about Peter's friendship with Wolverine (and also Harry Osborn, and Deadpool, and most of the superhero community for that matter).

If we are just talking about Spider-Man's corner of the universe, I always thought Randy Robertson was the most socially compatible with Peter, even more than Flash and Harry. Randy is like Johnny in the sense that he can mischievous and very outgoing, so he can bring out that side of Peter in the same way Johnny does. Also Randy knew Peter since college like Harry, and is pro-Spider-Man like Flash. Unlike Harry and Flash however, Randy is a social worker and was an activist while in college. He doesn't like Jameson and even had his work as an activist smeared by the Bugle on a few occasions. Just based on his background, he seems like someone who would really "get" Peter and what being Spider-Man is all about if Peter were to confide in him. But sadly no writer has ever taken advantage of these similarities, making Randy essentially The Best Friend That Got Away .
    Peter and Randy do have a strong bond and connection, and obviously Peter tends to see Joe Robertson as one of his few positive father figures.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 10-18-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Well there's this belief that a guy should do guy stuff with their friends and that's somehow a special thing and bond and so on. It's a way homosocial tendencies, i.e. men socializing with those of their own gender, reproduces itself, with the partner/spouse kind of treated as part of the home or property and so on. You see this a lot in sitcoms and TV shows and a lot of movies and so on.
    I think there's stuff Peter would talk about with and do with Johnny that he wouldn't do with MJ.
    Still Johnny was the last guy of the Fantastic Four to learn Peter's secret identity. So it's a friendship that's maybe more one-sided on Johnny's part (i.e. he feels closer to Peter than vice-versa). Johnny is very much a guy's guy, who likes hanging out with guys and that kind of explains his messy love-life but it also explains why he and Peter don't get along too well. I always think that there's a part of Peter that thinks if "I never got powers and Johnny met me in high school, I'd have hated him and he'd maybe make fun of me."
    With Johnny there was that strong sense of rivalry and miscommunication that was a big part of their early interactions with each other and how they grew into two people who they could really rely and trust in each other, and the Spider-Man/Torch mini shows how far their relationship had come. It's kind of like with Flash but Peter and Johnny's relationship is much deeper.
    Spider-Man and Wolverine are only "friends" in that both their toys and merch sell well so Marvel like putting them together and having them hang out. They aren't friends in a character sense (the same applies to Deadpool as well). Spider-Man has to hold his nose hanging out with a slicing and dicing murderer and all-around self-righteous a--hole. And Peter's not above abusing Wolverine's healing factor by applying lethal force on him, like decking him out of a skyscraper.
    I mean, they have a lot of on-panel interaction as being pals and buddies.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

The one I remember most prominently is the one he had with Harry then followed by the Human Torch. I saw him and DD as more of a rivalry despite the fact that they know each other more then they know themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Flash is pretty 'Bro' but they've never quite had that relationship.
    That's just sad. Once they got older, I thought they had great potential (IMHO):

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I guess Pete and Venom could go that way now that they're cool (once Eddie is back in black and no longer God).
    Agreed. Looking forward to it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. Looking forward to it.

The Spider-Man/Venom thing is also merchandise driven. I meant that's why Venom became an anti-hero to start with and why it scuttled David Michelinie's original plans for the character.

It doesn't make sense organically as something true to both characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I wouldn't consider Spider-Man and Wolverine friends, though. There is mutual respect between them, but they get on each other's nerves too much to consider them close.
    Couldn't agree with you more. But, I'll always love it when they try...

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    As for Wovlerine he and Spidey respect each other and there have been times Spidey has talked to him about things he felt he couldnt talk to anyone else about. Like his whole no killing rule and how it effected things in the world when it came to the Green Goblin.
    Indeed. A great example comes from Priest (https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Marvel_Comics_Vol_1_1000)

God, reading this all makes me want a Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends ongoing or something.
    Imagine a book with most of if not all of Spidey's super-friends. Johnny Storm, Logan, Bobby Drake, Daredevil, Black Cat, etc etc.
    Make it happen, Marvel. Or else I will do dark satanic rituals to manifest it into reality myself.
    images.jpg

The Spider-Man/Venom thing is also merchandise driven. I meant that's why Venom became an anti-hero to start with and why it scuttled David Michelinie's original plans for the character.

It doesn't make sense organically as something true to both characters.
    You're absolutely right. A bro-mance between them would be kinda "interesting", but extremely WEIRD.
    I much prefer them going at each other's throats (with a slight possibility of them coming to a mutual agreement over certain matters ):

Astonishing Member

Superheroes luckily tend to stay away from that. Honestly as toxic as some relationships in comics can be, I can still name more healthy relationships in the Marvel and DC Universes than I can from sitcoms and romantic comedies, lol.

I do think Peter genuinely likes Johnny, maybe not in the early days but as early as the Conway era when Spider-Man confided in Johnny after Gwen's death and Johnny helped him build the spider-mobile. I actually think Peter likes Johnny as a friend for the same reason he is attracted to people like MJ and Randy. All three are more naturally outgoing and help Peter loosen up and be more outgoing himself, in Johnny's case even moreso than Randy and Flash because he knows of his life as Spider-Man.

Honestly, 15-20 year old Peter to me always seemed like the type to not even want other superheroes to know of who Peter Parker is. I always figured that was why he never told Johnny his secret identity. It's like that thing some people have where they feel more comfortable with friends they make on trips (due to the anonymity and lack of biases) than they do with people in their everyday life.

Peter and Randy do have a strong bond and connection, and obviously Peter tends to see Joe Robertson as one of his few positive father figures.
    Yeah they're close, even in Spencer's run, but Randy's friendship gets less attention than his friendship/"friendship" with Flash/Harry. I would argue Randy deserves to know Peter is Spider-Man by now.