Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
I like Jon.

I like kid Jon from Super-Sons so I'm looking forward to the new CGI movie.

I like teen Jon, who I thought was a great anchor for the new LSH, even if I thought being a reboot kneecapped it before it even got started.

I like powerless teen Jon on TV's Superman & Lois, who has grown from being a bit of a dick in the pilot to now being one of the most endearing characters on the show.

I like bisexual SJW Jon trying to make a real difference in the world just like his dad tried to do back in the 30s. I think dramatizing that journey in the modern day was one of the smartest decisions Morrison made with the New 52 reboot, so I'm glad it's being carried on by Jon.

Jon Kent is a very different character than Conner Kent for one key reason. Lois Lane is 50% of Jon Kent, whereas Conner is 50% Lex Luthor (and even if you want to ignore that retcon, Conner's still lacking that key Lois element). Both of those characters are great, but Lois Lane being a fundamental part of who he is changes everything. It means that he's going to be on a similar journey as his father, but in a very different way because of who Lois Lane is.

That's the secret sauce of Jonathan Kent for me. Lois.

Now, were the editorial and creative decisions that DC made with Jon during his brief history always the greatest? Hell no. But I think those dumb stories will be papered over and generally ignored in the same way that both of his parents' less than stellar stories have been sidelined. It's always the core of the character that rises to the top. And the concept of Jonathan Kent is one of the strongest to come along in mainstream superhero comics for quite some time.
This is an excellent post. Of course Lois's boy would be an activist.