Incredible Member

Default Pre-New-52 Superman in Post-New-52-World

So I haven't actually read any DC Comics since the major reboot into the New 52, but I heard something very interesting. Apparently the Superman from the Pre-New-52 comics (New Earth) found his way into the New-52 universe (Prime Earth).

Can anyone tell me what specific comics this happened in, and how long it occurred in? Are there any other New Earth characters having their stories be told, or are we back to that being basically done for the time being.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Started with Road to Rebirth Superman Lois and Clark then straight on to the Rebirth Superman and Action Comics series
    Wally West in DC Universe Rebirth and onto Titans Rebirth

It occurred about right before the Rebirth initiative started, with the Lois and Clark series. It was revealed there that the pre-FP Superman and Lois, with their new son, found themselves on the New 52 Earth 10 years before the present day. They lived in secret there all that time, watching the the new history unfold fairly quietly under assumed identities. He comes to the forefront with the start of Rebirth relaunch, where he actually takes over the Superman role when DC killed the New 52 Superman off. Eventually the New 52 Lois Lane was also killed off and pre-FP Lois began masquerading as her. He was the "strange Superman in a strange world" for about a year until they then did the Superman Reborn storyline, which merged the two Supermen (and two Loises) together as singular beings. This effectively ended the idea of the main Superman being on the wrong Earth. History changed at this point, and he was just the one and only Superman of the world he belonged in, and that remains the standard status quo today. Obviously there's details left out here, so I know it sounds even more confusing than it is (and its still pretty confusing regardless), but that's the long and short of it.

As Restingvoice pointed out, the only other character to go through something somewhat similar was Wally West. His pre-FP self returned in Rebirth too as his own type of anomaly, being explained that he was trapped outside of time itself during the New 52 era, so he escaped the changes of the reboot. In the DC Universe Rebirth one-shot he finally finds his way back, with no one really remembering him except Barry after some prodding (memories of him and his place in the world would gradually return over the course of the next few years of stories). Again, sounds confusing because it still is.

Outside of those two exceptions, when DC decided to roll back out the old continuity with Rebirth, everyone else just kinda had the old history grafted onto their existing selves.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-18-2020 at 10:21 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Superman Reborn also erased New 52 Superboy. Young Justice then revealed that pre-Flashpoint Conner had also escaped the timeline changes, by being in Gemworld. Impulse is also from pre-Flashpoint, with the same explanation as Wally, both were trapped in the Speed Force. Barry's about to rescue Max Mercury and Jesse Quick from the same fate. And in Flash Forward, Wally rescued his kids from the Dark Multiverse.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It occurred about right before the Rebirth initiative started, with the Lois and Clark series. It was revealed there that the pre-FP Superman and Lois, with their new son, found themselves on the New 52 Earth 10 years before the present day. They lived in secret there all that time, watching the the new history unfold fairly quietly under assumed identities. He comes to the forefront with the start of Rebirth relaunch, where he actually takes over the Superman role when DC killed the New 52 Superman off. Eventually the New 52 Lois Lane was also killed off and pre-FP Lois began masquerading as her. He was the "strange Superman in a strange world" for about a year until they then did the Superman Reborn storyline, which merged the two Supermen (and two Loises) together as singular beings. This effectively ended the idea of the main Superman being on the wrong Earth. History changed at this point, and he was just the one and only Superman of the world he belonged in, and that remains the standard status quo today. Obviously there's details left out here, so I know it sounds even more confusing than it is (and its still pretty confusing regardless), but that's the long and short of it.

As Restingvoice pointed out, the only other character to go through something somewhat similar was Wally West. His pre-FP self returned in Rebirth too as his own type of anomaly, being explained that he was trapped outside of time itself during the New 52 era, so he escaped the changes of the reboot. In the DC Universe Rebirth one-shot he finally finds his way back, with no one really remembering him except Barry after some prodding (memories of him and his place in the world would gradually return over the course of the next few years of stories). Again, sounds confusing because it still is.

Outside of those two exceptions, when DC decided to roll back out the old continuity with Rebirth, everyone else just kinda had the old history grafted onto their existing selves.
    This is very helpful. Can you give me any issues I should look out for that this all happens in? What was Lois & Clark's son's name?
    Last edited by Slimybug; 10-28-2021 at 10:42 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

Wally wasn't exactly like Superdad. Dunno if it was retconned later but, after his reintroduction in Rebirth, Wally was treated as a New52 character (with only his history as kid Flash) that ended up trapped in the speed force by the villain Abra Kadabra before he erased from people's minds Wally existence and that the Titans were a team. During his time in the speed force, Wally became aware of his pre-Flashpoint history and the reality manipulations from an outside force (Dr. Manhattan).

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

So we good?

unnamed.jpg
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    This is very helpful. Can you give me any issues I should look out for that this all happens in? What was Lois & Clark's son's name?
    Superman Reborn is collected in trade. Has issues ACTION COMICS #973-976 and SUPERMAN #18-19.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam

Jon - he has his own series, Superman Son of Kal-El

For additional background on Jon, there's also the Covergence event mini. His first appearance is Convergence: Superman #2, and the Lois & Clark mini series follows up from there.