Astonishing Member

Default Mar-vell, Marvel comics sales stalking horse

Ah it's time for the traditional, why don't we tease Captain Marvel's (Mar-vells) resurrection to boost this titles sales. I remember being drawn into a Hercules mini by Bob Layton back in the day, maybe during the Infinity Guantlet, all the way to the Civil War/Skrull invasion one around the same time as the Dead Avengers one. I was even happy with the alternate universe version of Mar-vell in that Thanos Imperative in the Cancerverse. Now there is this Last of the Marvels storyline on the Carol book that teases maybe even Mar-vell makes an appearance but wait there is more, there is also Silver Surfer Rebirth which has my favorite Silver Surfer creative team Marz and Lim, and guess who is on the cover of that spoiler for the first issue you guessed it our (well at least my) favorite Captain Marvel. Now if Mar-vell moves to needle on sales which it seems that he does, why is Marvel Comics leaving money on the table by not bringing him back??? I know Starlin doesn't want it because it lessens the gravitas of his graphic novel, but comics in general and Marvel Comics in particular have a long history of not giving a crap about writers wishes about a character when there is money involved and Starlin didn't create Mar-vell. I am almost resigned to the fact that I might not see Mar-vell return until Starlin passes on and the Carol Danvers experiment fails miserably. One of the two might happen in short order, and I hear Starlin is in good health j/k. I just want my favorite Marvel cosmic character to return instead of just being teased every 5 years or so.

At this point I simply ignore Marvel teasing Mar-Vell's return in comics. I would like to be able to play him in a game like Marvel Ultimate Alliance, though (they had different skins for characters, such as a Beta Ray Bill skin for Thor), but it's not going to happen whilst Marvel are keen on pretending Carol's powers had nothing to do with Mar-Vell.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Love Mar-Vell, but I absolutely do not want him resurrected in any way, shape, or form. Not that the world of comics spins according to what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Love Mar-Vell, but I absolutely do not want him resurrected in any way, shape, or form. Not that the world of comics spins according to what I want.
    Didn't they bring him back in AVX? I thought I remember hearing that but not sure.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Didn't they bring him back in AVX? I thought I remember hearing that but not sure.
    He came back and immediately died again.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Ah it's time for the traditional, why don't we tease Captain Marvel's (Mar-vells) resurrection to boost this titles sales. I remember being drawn into a Hercules mini by Bob Layton back in the day, maybe during the Infinity Guantlet, all the way to the Civil War/Skrull invasion one around the same time as the Dead Avengers one. I was even happy with the alternate universe version of Mar-vell in that Thanos Imperative in the Cancerverse. Now there is this Last of the Marvels storyline on the Carol book that teases maybe even Mar-vell makes an appearance but wait there is more, there is also Silver Surfer Rebirth which has my favorite Silver Surfer creative team Marz and Lim, and guess who is on the cover of that spoiler for the first issue you guessed it our (well at least my) favorite Captain Marvel.
    For my money, Genny will always be my favorite Captain Marvel (616):

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Now if Mar-vell moves to needle on sales which it seems that he does, why is Marvel Comics leaving money on the table by not bringing him back??? I know Starlin doesn't want it because it lessens the gravitas of his graphic novel, but comics in general and Marvel Comics in particular have a long history of not giving a crap about writers wishes about a character when there is money involved and Starlin didn't create Mar-vell. I am almost resigned to the fact that I might not see Mar-vell return until Starlin passes on and the Carol Danvers experiment fails miserably. One of the two might happen in short order, and I hear Starlin is in good health j/k. I just want my favorite Marvel cosmic character to return instead of just being teased every 5 years or so.
    Sad that Starlin is only willing to revive Thanos, but refuses to do the same for Mar-Vell.
    Since Starlin is the only reason I'd be interested in Mar-Vell ever returning from the dead.

Astonishing Member

For me Mar-vell and Genis-vell are my two favorite Marvel cosmic characters ever, I believe that would add to the Marvel comics cosmic storytelling possibilities that have been sorely lacking since DnA lost control of Marvel Cosmic. I find them infinitely more interesting than Adam Warlock who has been resurrected multiple times, and they could probably sustain a ongoing better than Warlock, the Eternals, or even the Silver Surfer at the moment. As for those not wanting him back, I have to ask why? Not wanting to undo his death, because there are vastly more undone deaths in comics more than there are deaths that took. As of right now it appears the only deaths that are permanent at Marvel are Mar-vell, Genis, and Uncle Ben and at least with Uncle Ben they don't tease his resurrection every 5 years to boost sales on multiple titles.