Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: The NBA

Default The NBA

So we have an NFL thread, and MLB thread and for some reason and NHL thread. yet with tonight being the opening night for the NBA I didnt see and NBA thread so I thought I would start one.

I have been a somewhat casual fan for a few years. I know the big name guys, I know the big name rivalries through out the years. But this year I am getting more into it and learning more players, and stats like I do with the NFL and MLB. I am pretty excited.

I dont have a favorite team but I enjoy watching the games. When I was a kid I loved the Timberwolves. Dont ask me why. maybe the logo?

I am currently watching Brooklyn losing to The Bucks by 15 in the 1st.

So if there are any other fans casual or hardcore let me know
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boston Celtics fan here!

I'm really hoping the team becomes more consistent and a legitimate contender instead of teasing us for parts of the season and then not getting it done in the end.

And I'm hoping that Kyrie Irving is never allowed to play in the NBA again.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Sadly, the most talked about story in the NBA is the clusterfuck here in Philly with Ben Simmons who's been acting the fool/idiot/spoiled brat for weeks now, holding out and demanding a trade after his precious fee-fees were hurt after the team didn't kiss his pampered ass enough, even though he helped **** the bed after Atlanta beat the Sixers in the playoffs a few months ago. Ben the Baby was supposed to hold a presser today, but that was nixed after he acted the ass at practice, as a result, he's been benched for tomorrow's season opener in New Orleans. It's been a mess with no end in sight.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Big Boston Celtics fan here. Have loved the Celtics my whole life. Just sad I don't think they will do much this season. Ya they will make the playoffs but they wont go far. Should have never gave Marcus Smart that extension. Guy is just awful. Smart thinks he is some top dog in the NBA and he goes and misses a team flight last week, what a joke.

Hoping Kyrie Irving never plays a game in the NBA again. Hoping he finds that the Earth is flat and goes and falls off the edge
    Last edited by InfamousBG; 10-19-2021 at 07:30 PM.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Fantastic Member

I ride and die with the Lakers. I don't love what we've got this year, but it will be interesting to see. AD will play about 60 games. Everyone else between 60-75, except Russ, who will go hardcore for 82 games.

I love the NBA Lane commercial, by the way.

I also hope Kyrie is done and that Brooklyn misses the playoffs because of it. Not that I hate Brooklyn (I live there!) I've just had enough of Kyrie and want his decision to have consequences for the entire team.

Regarding Ben Simmons -- you gotta fulfill your contract. The NBA is a business and there's no loyalty and I generally side with the players making as much money as they can. But you expect contracts to be honored on both sides.

Some really good games last night. My first night of watching NBA opening night went very well
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Kicks off tonight against the Hornets who the Blue and Gold embarrassed in the play-in game last season.

Rick Carlisle is returning as retread.... ERRAAAHH returning as Head Coach.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Sadly, the most talked about story in the NBA is the clusterfuck here in Philly with Ben Simmons who's been acting the fool/idiot/spoiled brat for weeks now, holding out and demanding a trade after his precious fee-fees were hurt after the team didn't kiss his pampered ass enough, even though he helped **** the bed after Atlanta beat the Sixers in the playoffs a few months ago. Ben the Baby was supposed to hold a presser today, but that was nixed after he acted the ass at practice, as a result, he's been benched for tomorrow's season opener in New Orleans. It's been a mess with no end in sight.
    Maaaan, the return on the casual entertainment fan dolla in regards of Philadelphia sports is immeasurable.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Incredible Member

My Portland Trail Blazers are going to put it all together one of these years, if they can stay healthy.

I'm so glad they didn't trade for Simmons. People were talking about it for months but now it's clear that he's a head case and we're better off without him.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    What a mess here in the Philly area with Simmons! That's all their talking about on WIP sports station. I actually had to change the station a couple times today. Ben the baby is right. When asked to participate in a drill he refuses? Are you kidding me. I'm glad Doc just sent him home. Hopefully he is never in a 76ers uniform again!

What is going on with Ben Simmons. I know he wants a trade but what led up to it? I have heard only a litte because I was paying more attention to MLB and NFL news.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    What is going on with Ben Simmons. I know he wants a trade but what led up to it? I have heard only a litte because I was paying more attention to MLB and NFL news.
    Simmons was always scared to shoot the ball. Can't shoot foul shots. I've never seen this ever in a point guard. Ok fine, but it hit the fan last year in the playoffs where instead of dunking the ball while Under the basket, he passes out. Only a couple minutes left mind you. 76ers lose. Well the city erupted justly so. I lost it lol. Even Doc Rivers, when asked if they could win a title with baby Ben, he said he wasn't sure and can't answer that question. He really does have to go.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Ya the guy just could not shoot the ball in the playoffs. Made very odd plays and passes. After season was over all he did was cry and say he's not coming back to Philly. Then he said he will sit out. Then he found out if he did not report to camp it would cost him like $350,000 a game. That is right when he showed up. Then he acts like a fool this week during a team practice so Rivers suspended him for game one and the fine is like $1.4 million.

Simmons is a good ball player. Great on defense. He just thinks he is the next Kobe which he is not. Now its showing he might not be all there mentally for the team.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikedesil View Post
    Simmons was always scared to shoot the ball. Can't shoot foul shots. I've never seen this ever in a point guard. Ok fine, but it hit the fan last year in the playoffs where instead of dunking the ball while Under the basket, he passes out. Only a couple minutes left mind you. 76ers lose. Well the city erupted justly so. I lost it lol. Even Doc Rivers, when asked if they could win a title with baby Ben, he said he wasn't sure and can't answer that question. He really does have to go.
    It's been said that comment by Rivers, made shortly after losing game seven to Atlanta when emotions were still running high was what set off Simmons, leading to his wanting to be traded. Sixers fans were very patient with Simmons, almost abnormally so, hoping the light bulb would go on and he'd take steps to improve his game. Sure, he can't shoot for ****, but no one asked him to be the second coming of Steph Curry, just shoot a simple mid-range jumper, say, 10 to 12 feet from the bucket, and he'd be a force, but he was unwilling to put in the work, plain and simple. That abominable play where Simmons passed the ball while literally under the basket was the breaking point for Sixers fans and they were done with him. Despite that, the team made overtures to Simmons, no success, a group of players, including Joel Embiid wanted to fly out to California where he had been shacked up in the offseason to talk to him, but he allegedly told them not to come. Ben the Baby burned every conceivable bridge, alienating the front office, Rivers, the players and the fans who wanted him to succeed, now we can't get rid of the punk fast enough, problem is, Simmons has little trade value because every team knows his glaring deficiencies on offense, and his antics haven't endeared himself to potential suitors either. Like I said earlier, this is an unholy mess.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

On the plus side I was briefly in the conversation for NBA Rookie of the Year Today. I called a local sports radio talk show and the host is known to have a good sense of humor with fans. I told him this was my first year really watching the NBA and going outside of being a casual fan. I asked if it was possible I could be NBA Rookie of the year. He asked if I had ever played basketball. I told him 3rd grade ball where I was a 3rd stringer who came in only when we were either 50 points down or 50 points up. He thought and said nope not going to be Rookie Of The Year.

So for a second a professional sports personality consider me as Rookie of the Year even if the answer was no. So my my first NBA season is going well and it is only a day in

Edit - I am also still shopping around for my favorite team to root for. I am not above taking bribes to root for your team! So just throwing that out there.
    Last edited by babyblob; 10-20-2021 at 03:34 PM.