Page 12 of 72 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: The NBA

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    That is his MO. Go to a team. Blow crap up because he does not like playing with young guys so he wants to trade and get vets. And this is the result. They let Lebron ride over the team and make the calls and this is what happens. Look at how long it too the Heat to rebuild after he left. And Cleveland the second time he left.

The Lakers did not have to bow to him. They are the freaken Lakers. They did it because they wanted to buy a ring in a hurry. But they are not Cleveland. They have what 16 17 before James? They didnt need to sell their soul. They would have been fine in the long run.
    Sure, they’re the Lakers, but they haven’t been relevant since Kobe retired, and before the “Bubble” season of 2020, they hadn’t won it all since 2010, for them, that probably felt like a century. L.A. needed to reclaim the headlines as the most talked about team in the league, and Lebron landing there was the solution, then he wanted to build a Death Star like he had in Miami, thus the trade for Anthony Davis, followed by bringing in Russell Westbrook and Carmelo Anthony, but it ended up being a disaster. Firing Frank Vogel was like putting a band-aid on a sucking chest wound, Davis can’t stay healthy, Westbrook is untradeable and Carmelo looks cooked. Right now, the Lakers, as constituted are closer to the draft lottery than the next championship, or worse, the purgatory of being a .500 team, not good enough to win a title, but not bad enough to land a top pick.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 04-12-2022 at 05:01 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Sure, they’re the Lakers, but they haven’t been relevant since Kobe retired, and before the “Bubble” season of 2020, they hadn’t won it all since 2010, for them, that probably felt like a century. L.A. needed to reclaim the headlines as the most talked about team in the league, and Lebron landing there was the solution, then he wanted to build a Death Star like he had in Miami, thus the trade for Anthony Davis, followed by bringing in Russell Westbrook and Carmelo Anthony, but it ended up being a disaster. Firing Frank Vogel was like putting a band-aid on a sucking chest wound, Davis can’t stay healthy, Westbrook is untradeable and Carmelo looks cooked. Right now, the Lakers, as constituted are closer to the draft lottery than the next championship, or worse, the purgatory of being a .500 team, not good enough to win a title, but not bad enough to land a top pick.
    Exactly what you said. Once the Nash-Howard experiment imploded, the Lakers faded while the Heat and Warriors dominated. Then we made another stupid decision, signing Kobe for two more years for $48 million, force feeding him the ball instead of letting some of our young talent develop better. So picking up LeBron was something we had to do. I confess I was like a crackhead waiting for that next title. I loved the AD pickup, not realizing he'd already exhibited his Mr. Glass tendencies.

In truth, many other teams were just as appealing as THE LAKERS. Not everyone wants to play for us. And it worked for a season. What I'm going to say now is obvious, but I'll say it anyway: since 2019 or so, we traded away or let go too much talent and got way too little in return.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    Exactly what you said. Once the Nash-Howard experiment imploded, the Lakers faded while the Heat and Warriors dominated. Then we made another stupid decision, signing Kobe for two more years for $48 million, force feeding him the ball instead of letting some of our young talent develop better. So picking up LeBron was something we had to do. I confess I was like a crackhead waiting for that next title. I loved the AD pickup, not realizing he'd already exhibited his Mr. Glass tendencies.

In truth, many other teams were just as appealing as THE LAKERS. Not everyone wants to play for us. And it worked for a season. What I'm going to say now is obvious, but I'll say it anyway: since 2019 or so, we traded away or let go too much talent and got way too little in return.
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m guessing that, just like the Yankees, the word “rebuild” ISN’T in the vocabulary of Lakers management, or their fans, but, I suspect that’s on the horizon, perhaps sooner rather than later. Lebron is a physical marvel, but Father Time is unbeaten for a reason, at best, he’s got two, maybe three years left before the inevitable decline takes place, heaven only knows if Davis will ever play a full season again while the Westbrook contract is a drain on the salary cap. I suspect the window on the Lakers’ title hopes is about to close, and stay shut for quite some time.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    In truth, many other teams were just as appealing as THE LAKERS. Not everyone wants to play for us. And it worked for a season.
    While it's TRUE that are many other teams-you don't have networks and others harassing folks to go to New York or LA or your career meaning nothing.

As Brent Barry pointed out in NBA 2K19 (a video game) you can build your brand ANYWHERE.

Yet ESPN folks say you can't.

Lebron had to go to LA? Higher prices, state income taxes and for what to do movies?
    Instead of coming to Texas-no state income, lower costs and a LOT of stuff is filmed here. And LOL so is a lot of market product testing in Dallas. And Dirk is WORSHIPPED here.

What I'm going to say now is obvious, but I'll say it anyway: since 2019 or so, we traded away or let go too much talent and got way too little in return.
    Everyone knows this. Lebron is more concerned about the names on the back of the jersey versus who FITS that team.

Look at Dallas when they got Spencer Dimwiddle. Mavericks went 18-5. They lost to 2 playoff teams. Beat 10 playoff teams. Yet who they got rid of to get him was the bigger name.
    The Knicks RAN Elfrid Payton out of town. Payton is on the best team in the NBA.

Sometimes you have to build a team with the best pieces and not the bigger names.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m guessing that, just like the Yankees, the word “rebuild” ISN’T in the vocabulary of Lakers management, or their fans, but, I suspect that’s on the horizon, perhaps sooner rather than later. Lebron is a physical marvel, but Father Time is unbeaten for a reason, at best, he’s got two, maybe three years left before the inevitable decline takes place, heaven only knows if Davis will ever play a full season again while the Westbrook contract is a drain on the salary cap. I suspect the window on the Lakers’ title hopes is about to close, and stay shut for quite some time.
    Yeah, I think we've rebuilt twice since I started watching them -- after Magic retired and as Kobe faltered. Each time we built up a lot of young talent. I LOVED the early 90s Lake Show: Divac, Campbell, Van Exel, Eddie Jones, even Magic for a minute. The main difference post-Magic was that the Lakers got good again within a couple seasons. The Lake Show peaked with 53 wins. Then we picked up Shaq. (And got Kobe's rights but that didn't mean anything to me at the time.) The most recent rebuild never got good, as much as I liked Lonzo, Kuz, Julius Randle, Ingram, KCP, Clarkson, etc. Maybe in time, but we'll never know.

Anybody watching Winning Time on HBO. Very enjoyable if not 100% accurate.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yes. I find it hilarious and completely see why Magic, Jeannie, et al didn't want to be associated with it. But I love it, especially Kareem. MORE KAREEM!!!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Not a big NBA fan but I enjoy Winning Time. I can now picture Jerry Buss telling folks..."do whatever is needed to make us win. I don't care about money."
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BTW, the story about Magic being offered 10,000 shares of Nike stock for his endorsement is true. He went with Converse. Now Magic is a very wealthy businessman, worth $600 million. But that stock would be worth $5 billion today. You can see why he didn't go with that at the time, but man...!

And yes, we love Kareem.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Fantastic Member

I'm very much enjoying the playoffs. The Warriors are crazy fun to watch. Jordan Poole (Go Blue!) is having a moment, and Curry is always gonna Curry.

I hate the Celtics but am glad they're (so far) close to ending the Nets. Kyrie is my least favorite player in the league. Not because of his game. I want Brooklyn to go out in the first round so that his actions this season have consequences.

Philly, despite my dislike of Harden, and Ja have also been a lot of fun.

A last second trey by Joel Embiid in overtime notches a 104-101 win over Toronto and a 3-0 series lead over the Raptors.

The Celtics are just outplaying the Nets. Even going down by 17 didn't stop them from kind of embarrassing the Nets last night.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I eat it up, it's my favorite show right now and even listen to the Rodney Barnes podcast the next day. The Logo disagrees lol.

My memories kick in around the days of Worthy, I was too little to remember the early Showtime days but to me I don't feel the portrayal is to the level of buffoonish. The man was instrumental in the early days and the show does reflect that. It is over the top and Jason Clarke is fkn hilarious, especially when he was on the floor in his underwear with the shades drawn lol. You can't tell a man like Jerry West how to feel but I don't think it's as clownish, overall, as what he might feel reflects the project over a couple of scenes. The first couple of episodes speak more to the 1970's as opposed to a specific portrayal imo.

I'm an NBA fan going way back, so I know what Jerry West has done for the league and this doesn't change anything for me. I guess this might hit different to the younger folks but ****, Buss and Magic are the horn-dogs in this show- they the ones knocking them down 2 at a time. Unless West is sounding off for the group I don't feel HIS portrayal is SO OFF base that it goes outside of the bounds of what the fictional disclosures dictate. Which of course is big of me to say.

Been loving the Playoffs so far btw. Even the late games when I don't find out the outcome until in the morning is cool. I had Phoenix the champion but if this Book thing keeps him out, I don't know...
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    The Celtics are just outplaying the Nets. Even going down by 17 didn't stop them from kind of embarrassing the Nets last night.
    No denying that, but, the Nets won’t be in any trouble unless they lose game three in Brooklyn. If that does happen, then the Nets’ chances of winning the series will drop to almost zero.

Wow, let's go Memphis. Down big 20 points twice and come back on the Wolves. Favorite series of these playoffs so far.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.