Page 28 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: The NBA

Yah, this was a truly heartwarming NBA finals for me as a longtime Warriors fan. Steph Curry, who has amazed me year after year with his moves, somehow managed to up his game and become a true finals MVP.

Congrats to the Celtics, who played their entire season, playoffs and finals with a ton of heart.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yah, this was a truly heartwarming NBA finals for me as a longtime Warriors fan. Steph Curry, who has amazed me year after year with his moves, somehow managed to up his game and become a true finals MVP.

Congrats to the Celtics, who played their entire season, playoffs and finals with a ton of heart.
    I am not happy the Celtics lost but I am very happy for Curry. Always been a fan of his.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Caleb Swanigan, who played for the Portland Trailblazers and Sacramento Kings in his brief NBA career, has passed away.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Fantastic Member

^^That was sad news. He was such a stud a Purdue. I lot track of him after he was drafted and didn't even realize he was out of the league. RIP.

The NBA draft was tonight. It's amazing to me how much of a different profile the NBA draft has compared to the NFL Draft. I honestly forgot the draft was today until I was flipping channels earlier, and I've seen no real chatter about the draft outside of the actual ESPN page, whereas I cannot escape the NFL Draft for weeks before and after even when I try to deliberately ignore it.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    The NBA draft was tonight. It's amazing to me how much of a different profile the NBA draft has compared to the NFL Draft. I honestly forgot the draft was today until I was flipping channels earlier, and I've seen no real chatter about the draft outside of the actual ESPN page, whereas I cannot escape the NFL Draft for weeks before and after even when I try to deliberately ignore it.

-M
    Hardly surprising. Of all the four major sports, the NFL goes out of it's way to market EVERYTHING about their game, and market to the hilt. That's why football is top dog in America and everyone else is a poor second.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Nothing even exciting happened with the NBA Draft. You think it would have got more attention but it did not.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Hardly surprising. Of all the four major sports, the NFL goes out of it's way to market EVERYTHING about their game, and market to the hilt. That's why football is top dog in America and everyone else is a poor second.
    I've never seen the NFL go to the lengths of marketing something the way the NBA did "The Decision" when LeBron first became a free agent, and their entire offseason was positioned for a while as a soap opera/reality tv style storyline of who will sign where and what will be the next superteam, so they were in the sports news cycle 24/7 all year round, but that seems to be a thing of the past. I wonder if that strategy sort of backfired on them a bit.

-M

PS saying I disagree with you on the NFL, just that the NBA used to go to even more lengths for a time
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I've never seen the NFL go to the lengths of marketing something the way the NBA did "The Decision" when LeBron first became a free agent, and their entire offseason was positioned for a while as a soap opera/reality tv style storyline of who will sign where and what will be the next superteam, so they were in the sports news cycle 24/7 all year round, but that seems to be a thing of the past. I wonder if that strategy sort of backfired on them a bit.

-M

PS saying I disagree with you on the NFL, just that the NBA used to go to even more lengths for a time
    Let’s be honest, “The Decision” only happened because it was Lebron, then (and perhaps today) the face of the NBA. No way that would’ve worked with anyone else, nor has that happened since. Meanwhile, the NFL hyped the Draft, the combine, even the release of the schedule for crissakes.

The NBA does a pretty good job at marketing, for what they have to work with. Both the MLB and NBA face the issue of keeping the public's attention over the course of a long season and tons of games. For the NFL, the games are way fewer and it provides a ton more breathing room for marketing and hyping the matchups.

The Charlotte Hornets are re-hiring Steve Clifford (who they fired in 2018) as their head coach.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Mighty Member

Damn, this is big

KD requests trade from Nets

Supposedly the Heat and the Suns are top on his list. But there have been rumors about the Suns trying to work a deal for him for over a month now.

It always surprised me that he went to the Nets in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    Damn, this is big

Just heard about this. Whoa! Harden’s already gone, and Kyrie’s made noises about wanting to leave, if Durant gets his wish, the Nets will turn into a lottery team literally overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    Damn, this is big

He has asked for the Suns but there is no way they are giving up Booker.

Rumors are LA could go after both Durant and Kyrie. Another landing spot could Boston. Would Boston trade Jaylen Brown and pics for Durant? It would not surprise me. There is no way Durant is going to the 76ers so forget about that.