Page 30 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: The NBA

Fantastic Member

Geez - please don't inflict Kyrie upon my Lakers. I'd have to give up watching them for the two months he played for them.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    Geez - please don't inflict Kyrie upon my Lakers. I'd have to give up watching them for the two months he played for them.
    Get ready its coming...
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Bill Russel has passed away

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Bill Russel has passed away
    Very sad day. One of the greatest ever.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Mr. Russell won eleven championships in his thirteen seasons with the Celtics, eight in a row at one point, his last two as a player-coach. Ain’t nobody will EVER eclipse records like those. I’ve always been of the belief Mr. Russell and his Celtics were the reason Wilt Chamberlain won just one title (1967) with the 76ers. Short and sweet: Mr. Russell was legendary and will be missed.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 08-01-2022 at 01:15 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Look in the dictionary under "legend" and Bill Russell is right there. More than 50 rebounds in a single game, against the elite the NBA had to offer. Just let that one tiny fact sink in, and know that its just one of his lesser accomplishments. I'll miss this guy.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Mr Russell was a gentlemen. This guy is the greatest ever at what he did. No one will ever do it again. 11 championships. Multiple MVPs, records and more. He was a statesmen off the court. More guys playing in the NBA and coming up should perform just like him and they will be great at what they do.

RIP Mr Russell.

Fantastic Member

When the NBA's 35th anniversary was celebrated in 1981, Bill Russell was selected as its greatest player. I love that for the duration of my life, he was given his props. It's not like all the platitudes being said about him now are coming from nowhere. Bill Russell was the man and everyone knew it. And in the conversation of greatest player, he never commented. I always figured if someone asked him that question, he would answer "Who cares? I have championship rings for my toes."

RIP Bill Russell. He had been looking quite frail in recent public appearances.

Maybe the Celtics can honor his memory by winning the title next year... but I don't like any trade scenario for Durant, I think they're making a big mistake if they trade for KD.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    When the NBA's 35th anniversary was celebrated in 1981, Bill Russell was selected as its greatest player. I love that for the duration of my life, he was given his props. It's not like all the platitudes being said about him now are coming from nowhere. Bill Russell was the man and everyone knew it. And in the conversation of greatest player, he never commented. I always figured if someone asked him that question, he would answer "Who cares? I have championship rings for my toes."
    Yes. Before the ascendancy of Jordan, LeBron, Kareem (at least his many wins) etc.. But if someone is of the opinion he is still the GOAT, that is valid.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    Plenty cool! A deserved honor for the true GOAT.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    That’s dope. Magic actually recommended this last week

Unfortunately players already wearing #6 can continue to do so, it only prevents teams form issuing anyone else the #6, so LeBron will still be able to wear his #6 next season, and there are somewhere around 15-20 other players who currently have #6 and can keep wearing it.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Unfortunately players already wearing #6 can continue to do so, it only prevents teams form issuing anyone else the #6, so LeBron will still be able to wear his #6 next season, and there are somewhere around 15-20 other players who currently have #6 and can keep wearing it.

-M
    I wonder if some will change their # out of respect?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!