Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Did Green Arrow ever have a civilian love interest?

Or has it always been Dinah?

Aquaman and Hawkman had love interests w. powers, Batman had Robin.

Most DC characters had memorable civilian love interests though.
    Superman/Lois Lane
    Wonder Woman/Steve Trevor
    Flash/Iris West
    Elongated Man/Sue Dearbon
    Atom/Jean Loring (ugh)
    Martian Manhunter/Diane Meade (mostly UST)
    Green Lantern/Carol Ferris

For having developed such a horndog reputation, I can’t remember anyone for GA before Dinah.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 10-19-2021 at 05:58 PM.

Always Rakzo

Ollie cheated on Dinah with a girl named Marianne during Mike Grell's run... and later cheated on Dinah once again with Black Lightning's niece.

Yeah, Ollie's reputation is for a reason.

I guess Sue counts as a civilian because she doesn't have powers even though she helps Ralph solve cases?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Ollie cheated on Dinah with a girl named Marianne during Mike Grell's run... and later cheated on Dinah once again with Black Lightning's niece.

The fact that he cheats with civilians almost makes me want to think a part of him does it because he doesn't want to be GA anymore and settle down.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The fact that he cheats with civilians almost makes me want to think a part of him does it because he doesn't want to be GA anymore and settle down.
    Nah. I doubt Ollie would ever retire from superheroics because he just enjoys the thrill way too much... just like the thrill of each new conquest (One of the reasons why I think he should be forever single and simply have casual relationships).

Nah. I doubt Ollie would ever retire from superheroics because he just enjoys the thrill way too much...
    HA! That’s accurate.

Nah. I doubt Ollie would ever retire from superheroics because he just enjoys the thrill way too much... just like the thrill of each new conquest (One of the reasons why I think he should be forever single and simply have casual relationships).
    Yeah, but each time it was with a civilian. I feel like there's something there.

(I think even he's probably considered quitting at least once).

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yeah, their name was Oliver Queen.

Also, what the hell do you mean "Batman had Robin?"
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Yeah, but each time it was with a civilian. I feel like there's something there.

(I think even he's probably considered quitting at least once).
    Even with Marianne, the lifestyle wasn't remotely normal. She almost qualified as an uncostumed sidekick. The potential was on the table, and he grabbed it.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Never said he didn’t deserve his reputation.
    I said I don’t remember him having any love interests before Dinah.

Extraordinary Member

I might remember that wrong but wasn't the thing with Marianne just a kiss? And wasn't Marianne the one who initiated it?

And were he and Dinah even together when the thing with Black Lightning's niece happend?
    Last edited by Aahz; 10-19-2021 at 11:36 PM.

I find it funny how people argue that Oliver being a cheater "makes him more complex" when the first instance of him doing that was a writer treating him being raped as consensual sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I find it funny how people argue that Oliver being a cheater "makes him more complex" when the first instance of him doing that was a writer treating him being raped as consensual sex.
    It’s one of those things that just seems to be misinterpreted by both fans and writers.
    It’s like the game where someone whispers a message in someone else’s ear then that person passes it on and multiple ppl later you find the message has changed.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

That was the one storyline I HATED from Winick, and it was his first one.
    Straight into cheating on Dinah with Black Lightning's never-before mentioned niece.
    He got better once he moved away from the 'Ollie is a serial cheater' thing, but those issues pissed me off.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I might remember that wrong but wasn't the thing with Marianne just a kiss? And wasn't Marianne the one who initiated it?
    Which Ollie also recognized that he wanted it and later slept together.

And were he and Dinah even together when the thing with Black Lightning's niece happend?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    ... Later being revealed that it was consentual which in hindsight it fits.

I can accept him cheating once and making that kind of mistake. I don't necessarily see him as a serial cheater.

Granted (depending on what continuity you look at) he gets it from his parents.
    I liked the explanation that J.T. Krul gave about how Ollie does it subconsciously (in part) because he learned it from his father when he was little which also explains his self-hatred.

Which Ollie also recognized that he wanted it and later slept together.

Yes.

... Later being revealed that it was consentual which in hindsight it fits.

I liked the explanation that J.T. Krul gave about how Ollie does it subconsciously (in part) because he learned it from his father when he was little which also explains his self-hatred.
    Retconning a rape into consensual sex because people don't think men can be raped isn't exactly the pinnacle of good writing. And considering it was revealed in a Blackest Night tie-in of all things - a book not well known for good exploration of character - I can't see how anyone could take it seriously.

It's not Oliver cheating was always a part of his character anyway nor is it even all that complex (that word truly keeps losing more and more meaning).