Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I've only really liked Damien during the New 52 Batman & Robin series, so I may be a bit biased, but yeah, sometimes. While from a real world perspective, a billionaire playboy taking in traumatized orphans to crime may raise a few eyebrows (and that's not even getting into training them then taking them out every night to fight said crime), from a comic book perspective, I always found the found family aspect of the Bat Family really appealing. Adding an actual biological son kinda put the kibosh on that.
    Only if you ignore said bio son's background and personality.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Only if you ignore said bio son's background and personality.
    I'm not really ignoring anything. Neither Damien's background nor his personality (well, especially his personality) justify it for me.

Different strokes and all that.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 10-20-2021 at 04:15 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

All-New Member

I've only really liked Damien during the New 52 Batman & Robin series, so I may be a bit biased, but yeah, sometimes. While from a real world perspective, a billionaire playboy taking in traumatized orphans to crime may raise a few eyebrows (and that's not even getting into training them then taking them out every night to fight said crime), from a comic book perspective, I always found the found family aspect of the Bat Family really appealing. Adding an actual biological son kinda put the kibosh on that.
    I have heard this opinion before by others but never got it.

I think they were very clever in keeping and reinforcing the found family notion with Damian. As he doesn't join the family when he is first revealed or when his blood is confirmed, but only once he starts to follow the ideals that brought the family together in the OG Batman and Robin. Showing the what defines Bruce's family is their circumstances and joint beliefs/ideals.

Also they had him be brought in not by Bruce (his blood father), but by Dick Grayson (Bruce's actual first son) and Alfred (the man who actually raised Bruce). Then to further reinforce the theme had him chose the found family over his blood family with him refusing to join Talia. Clearly showing what makes family isn't blood connections.

I think Damian was a very clever way of making a biological son without putting the kibosh on the found family. Damian is the exception that proves the rule.

-----
    On topic:
    I think damian has added a unique and new dimension to batman stories. Also I find this idea of robin ending with Tim impossible, even Damian probably wont be the last Robin, their will always eventually be a new robin. It is never going to stop. How many new sidekicks have heroes gotten recently their has been new superboys, red arrows, kid flashes, wonder girls, aquaboys and etc. Tim was always going to be replaced by someone, especially as a white robin amongst a group of white robins; some writer would always want to be the one to invent the first non-white robin. Wasn't Duke on his way to become robin before Damian's resurrection mandated by WB. So Damian is a good character who is filling in slot that was always going to be filled. So i'm happy we got an interesting unique new robin and stands out from the others.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1smith View Post
    I have heard this opinion before by others but never got it.

I think they were very clever in keeping and reinforcing the found family notion with Damian. As he doesn't join the family when he is first revealed or when his blood is confirmed, but only once he starts to follow the ideals that brought the family together in the OG Batman and Robin. Showing the what defines Bruce's family is their circumstances and joint beliefs/ideals.

Also they had him be brought in not by Bruce (his blood father), but by Dick Grayson (Bruce's actual first son) and Alfred (the man who actually raised Bruce). Then to further reinforce the theme had him chose the found family over his blood family with him refusing to join Talia. Clearly showing what makes family isn't blood connections.

I think Damian was a very clever way of making a biological son without putting the kibosh on the found family. Damian is the exception that proves the rule.
    Honestly, I've looked at this from every angle imaginable and I have yet to be convinced.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think the found family angle works even with a biological son, because the other sons don't just vanish and Damian even has a strong and important relationship with the main adopted son.

But then, the "found family" angle also works with just one Robin (+ Alfred, Selina/love interest of choice, and the Gordons)

Incredible Member

I may be in the minority on this one but the only real Robins I love are Dick(favorite character ever) and Damien(favorite modern Robin). So I am pretty grateful they did not stop with Tim.

I do think Jason and Tim both had moments where I was almost a fan but on both occasions the things I liked or found interesting were dropped.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

While the Batfamily isn't my preferred DC family (I am a Wonder family fan first but let's not talk about that, it makes me sad) the one thing that the Bat-group has gotten (mostly) right over the decades is the family aspect. Occasionally they stumble, but for the most part, they show the family aspect well. The only thing they have failed on in the last few years is finding a niche for Tim. They can, they just have to put some thought into it (unlike the Drake idea.) Once upon a time, he was to have been the next Blue Beetle, which would have been exemplary for him. Likewise, there's plenty of legacy names DC could move him into or even give him his own. There just doesn't seem to be much thought beyond making him the "gay" Robin.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I like Damian and he's a good Robin, but do you sometimes wish the Robins had ended with Tim? Bruce having a legitimate son makes no sense. Plus Dick is way more of a son to Bruce than Damian
    You mean because he's so careful he'll always wear protection?

No, the sense stop making when Jason died and knowing the risk, he trained Tim, while his biological dad and legal guardian is still around. I would've accepted it better if Tim's an orphan and adopted so at least he has the right to determine the kid's future.

Extraordinary Member

His character aside, I think the thing I don't like about a biological son is that it suddenly becomes about an inherited legacy (which Damien has always been eager to claim to just about anyone who will listen) instead of a chosen one. It just kinda broke the link in a chain that I really liked.

Incredible Member

His character aside, I think the thing I don't like about a biological son is that it suddenly becomes about an inherited legacy (which Damien has always been eager to claim to just about anyone who will listen) instead of a chosen one. It just kinda broke the link in a chain that I really liked.
    Yeah but the role has not become just an "inherited legacy". That`s Damiens angle but it is still a chosen role. He will not be the last Robin. And I bet the next is not a Wayne.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    You mean because he's so careful he'll always wear protection?

No, the sense stop making when Jason died and knowing the risk, he trained Tim, while his biological dad and legal guardian is still around. I would've accepted it better if Tim's an orphan and adopted so at least he has the right to determine the kid's future.
    Yeah I can agree with this. The intro with Tim was awkward. You have a self-destructive Batman running around and he just lost Jason now shoehorn Tim in. One thing that's been interesting and problematic is when a new Robin comes in. You had 40+ years with Dick, then 5 (pre and post Crisis) with Jason, followed by 13 years between Tim and Damian. So, the gap keeps closing. And yet editorial in the 70s shiftted Dick away from Bruce because they wanted Batman solo, and then did an about face thinking Batman without a Robin was not a good idea. Very Wishy washy

Is what happened with Superman.. Despite I always saw interesting see Kara who is a girl taking his mantle or Superboy who is in part Lex son..

Damian now seems more interested in avoid this fate than in Batman mantle in this moment..

I heard once that now apparently is Tim who is interested in the Batman mantle again. If I am not wrong it was mentioned alongside that he was BI or few time after that.
    Last edited by adrikito; 10-21-2021 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    Is what happened with Superman.. Despite I always saw interesting see Kara who is a girl taking his mantle or Superboy who is in part Lex son..

Damian now seems more interested in avoid this fate than in Batman mantle in this moment..

I heard once that now apparently is Tim who is interested in the Batman mantle again. If I am not wrong it was mentioned alongside that he was BI or few time after that.
    Definitely not. Tim has no interest in becoming Batman. Even with most alt future timelines when Tim becomes Batman it's not usually a 'want' as much as he felt a Batman was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by KrustyKid View Post
    Definitely not. Tim has no interest in becoming Batman. Even with most alt future timelines when Tim becomes Batman it's not usually a 'want' as much as he felt a Batman was needed.
    Weird.. Maybe I heard a rumour??

After Tim bisexuality was announced I heard something about him interested in be Batman again.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    Weird.. Maybe I heard a rumour??

After Tim bisexuality was announced I heard something about him interested in be Batman again.
    No, you're right.

robin-tim-drake-wants-to-be-batman-featured.jpg