Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Incredible Member

Mama! Dramas #1-and-only, by Trina Robbins. The signature says "77" but this comic came out in 1978.

OK, third try:

Last edited by Rob Allen; 10-20-2021 at 11:05 AM.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Rob I dont know if it is just me but your cover is not showing up.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I think I've got it working now.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Now, it is showing for me…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I have to say I’m happy to see all these female portrayals… I thought it will be more difficult…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    I think I've got it working now.
    It works now

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I have to say I’m happy to see all these female portrayals… I thought it will be more difficult…
    I enjoy that it is not just the usual suspects when it comes to female comic book characters. There is a pretty good mix here. This is a great topic as I am seeing characters I didnt know about before!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

"Ensamma mamman" ("Single Mom") by Swedish illustrator and comics writer Cecilia Torudd.

293671558_555d9004-1b96-4997-a33e-475596e38ecd.jpg
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    This was a wonderful graphic novel with very real people.
    Indeed; there are in fact multiple memorable female characters (the protagonist and "author" of the book; her mother; her malnourished friend from school; and especially the old woman who was murdered and who turns out to have had an extraordinary backstory).

I am woman, hear me roar
    In numbers too big to ignore
    And I know too much to go back an' pretend
    'Cause I've heard it all before
    And I've been down there on the floor
    No one's ever gonna keep me down again

I'm a little surprised old-school Amanda Waller hadn't popped before now. But more than happy to rectify the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    I am woman, hear me roar
    In numbers too big to ignore
    And I know too much to go back an' pretend
    'Cause I've heard it all before
    And I've been down there on the floor
    No one's ever gonna keep me down again

I'm a little surprised old-school Amanda Waller hadn't popped before now. But more than happy to rectify the situation.
    I thought about Amanda Waller but wondered if she had now become a cliché?

The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I thought about Amanda Waller but wondered if she had now become a cliché?
    Maybe, but I did specify old-school. I was a huge fan of suicide Squad from the get-go, and consider it the best thing to come out Legends (and that includes George Perez's Wonder Woman, which I am also a huge fan of). John Ostrander proved the old saw about there being 'no bad characters' by taking a bunch of C-list characters and turning them into fascinating 3-dimensional characters that readers could really engage with, without betraying their roots and what had already been established. Alongside that, there was a supporting cast of relatable, flawed and very human characters, and at the centre of that was the Wall: the take-no-guff leader of this band of misfits.It was believable that this woman with no superpowers could keep a crew of second-string metahumans in line, and even force Batman to respect her.

Her 'origin' story (which I'm guessing is no longer canon after countless continuity reboots) was one of real tragedy, that explained why she is hard-nosed and ruthless as she is. And it rang true to me because, like so many women I have known, it the face of unimaginable loss and heartache, she picked herself up and forced herself to go on because other people were relying on her. I think some of this humanity may have faded in her later appearances.

Maybe she has became a cliche now, but I still consider it an accomplishment that Ostrander and co. managed to make a overweight, black menopausal woman with no superpowers and who doesn't look like a supermodel one of the most powerful people in The DCU.

(That was longer than I intended. Guess I still do feel strongly about the character and how she should be portrayed. )