Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Maybe, but I did specify old-school. I was a huge fan of suicide Squad from the get-go, and consider it the best thing to come out Legends (and that includes George Perez's Wonder Woman, which I am also a huge fan of). John Ostrander proved the old saw about there being 'no bad characters' by taking a bunch of C-list characters and turning them into fascinating 3-dimensional characters that readers could really engage with, without betraying their roots and what had already been established. Alongside that, there was a supporting cast of relatable, flawed and very human characters, and at the centre of that was the Wall: the take-no-guff leader of this band of misfits.It was believable that this woman with no superpowers could keep a crew of second-string metahumans in line, and even force Batman to respect her.

Her 'origin' story (which I'm guessing is no longer canon after countless continuity reboots) was one of real tragedy, that explained why she is hard-nosed and ruthless as she is. And it rang true to me because, like so many women I have known, it the face of unimaginable loss and heartache, she picked herself up and forced herself to go on because other people were relying on her. I think some of this humanity may have faded in her later appearances.

Maybe she has became a cliche now, but I still consider it an accomplishment that Ostrander and co. managed to make a overweight, black menopausal woman with no superpowers and who doesn't look like a supermodel one of the most powerful people in The DCU.

(That was longer than I intended. Guess I still do feel strongly about the character and how she should be portrayed. )
    I agree with all of this. And in the Justice league Cartoons where she was voiced by C.C.H. Pounder (Who is great in everything she has done BTW) just nailed 100 percent Amanda. When I read the older stuff with her this is the voice I use and the Version i see
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Two for one, Patsy Walker and Jessica Jones. Patsy is Marvel's oldest female character - going back to the 1940s. Currently featured in Christopher Cantwell's Iron Man series her life is far from those simpler days.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-20-2021 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Two for one, Patsy Walker and Jessica Jones. Patsy is Marvel's oldest female characters going back to the 1940s. Currently featured in Christopher Cantwell's Iron Man series her life is far from those simpler days.
    Patsy Walker needs a legacy number on her books counting ALL of her previous series, including her Golden Age stuff.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Going with Harriet Tubman.

This comic had Dazzler and they made her bad ass.

4936826-0 a-force_1_cover.jpg
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I really adored Zdarsky's run on Howard, and this cast of characters. And yes, that is Aunt May. As normal as you get! Plus Tara, another really normal girl who was Howard's companion for this series. I think Biggs the cat was a guy, though. Look at that lovely Quinones art!

Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    This comic had Dazzler and they made her bad ass.

4936826-0 a-force_1_cover.jpg
    Gah! This has inspired me to change my entry!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Gah! This has inspired me to change my entry!
    Now we are splitting the Dazzler vote.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

2000 AD prog 376

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Ororo not only battles the other head woman in charge in a knife battle to save her team she also does it to save a captured an imprisoned (male) Angel. So "just a girl..." that's not here.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Ororo not only battles the other head woman in charge in a knife battle to save her team she also does it to save a captured an imprisoned (male) Angel. So "just a girl..." that's not here.
    Classic duel! That made me do a search and I found this:

https://www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/storm...s-and-villains
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

MRP, who beat me to posting a Ms. Tree cover.