Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    The Kaiju are there for Wanda to defeat when everyone else fails, ending the 'Pretender' nonsense once and for all.

I'm not sure where the Old Wanda plotline is going. Unless this is a time loop where she's supposed to meet her future(?) self.

I wonder if we're ever going to find out who killed Wanda. It definitely wasn't Magneto or suicide. Are they going to keep the murderers identity a secret for a shocking reveal in a later book?
    I think her Old Lady Persona killed her. In some of Wanda's visions, the person in the white cape killed her. And that's the old lady.

You know, usually forum threads are known for going tangentially off topic and meandering into needless points of conversation; when a forum thread reviewing the book manages to stay on point better than the book itself, there's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Anyway, the kaijus were not random. We saw earlier that Wanda's barrage of info and distress was causing some sort of disruption. Then the kaijus showed up immediately after the gingers decided to flood Wanda with a bunch of her traumatic memories. They also seem to have glowing runes and patterns, which could be anything, but seems pretty magical. They even speak in runes. Most likely, these monsters were subconsciously summoned or awakened by Wanda.

My guess is that the kaiju represent Wanda's state: she's being flooded with issues that are ruining her life, and the lives of everyone around her. Unless she actually addresses them head-on, the problems just get worse. For Wanda, I feel like the story will ultimately be about moving past M-Day, addressing her familial issues and ultimately coming to a better place in life.
    Agreed. It's almost like the kaiju are summoned out of the fear she has of truly moving forward. They're powerful self-healing firewalls she put up, I guess.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Again did no one see the krakoan gate at the end? Maybe Wanda's not dead. (Other Wanda)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weather View Post
    I think her Old Lady Persona killed her. In some of Wanda's visions, the person in the white cape killed her. And that's the old lady.
    Those deaths/ visions were in the spiritual world or wherever the Wandas are, I think. Not what actually happened at the Gala.

Quote Originally Posted by maxhilary View Post
    Do some of y'all actually believe Marvel's only reason for cancelling X-factor was that they liked Leah's proposed Wanda story and they wanted to make an event out of it? Why would they need to cancel X-factor for that? They could just done what Sword did with The Last Annihilation and had some issues of the book as part of the event. The simplest explanation is low sales. Leah Williams' weaknesses as a writer are very clear in this issue; not every flaw from her work should be blamed on editorial lol.
    No. It likely wasn't the only reason.
    But the proposed story she pitched wasn't intended to happen for another few arcs down the X-factor line, so there is something to be said about the reality of "Your book is cancelled. Work on that other story and extend it out so we can make a mini. Here is your deadline. Also, we're calling it The Trial of Magneto"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    You know, usually forum threads are known for going tangentially off topic and meandering into needless points of conversation; when a forum thread reviewing the book manages to stay on point better than the book itself, there's a problem.
    quoted for truth LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by maxhilary View Post
    Do some of y'all actually believe Marvel's only reason for cancelling X-factor was that they liked Leah's proposed Wanda story and they wanted to make an event out of it? Why would they need to cancel X-factor for that? They could just done what Sword did with The Last Annihilation and had some issues of the book as part of the event. The simplest explanation is low sales. Leah Williams' weaknesses as a writer are very clear in this issue; not every flaw from her work should be blamed on editorial lol.
    You’re right. LW does have some clear weakness as a writer, but I felt like X-Factor often played to her strengths while the nature of this book emphasizes those weaknesses. I think we all would have been more satisfied if X-Factor would have been able to get a non-rushed ending at either 12 or 15 issues and then we could have been done with it. Instead we have a bloated cash grab event that isn’t pleasant for fans or the writer.

baumblume

interesting their her sons are the ones who take care of her when the kaiju attack r, Wanda is not in control of this spell. In Issue #3 she's attempting to exert agency but is only a guide. There are other forces acting in synch to bring about thjs rebirth Krakoa is responding to the birth a mutant: The Subjective Wanda

baumblume

I believe that at the Gala Wanda initiated a process by which she becomes Magneto's daughter again. Chaos Magic seems to focus on Objective & Subjective Truth and Wanda's Subjective Truth (to be Magneto's mutant daughter) is warping Objective Truth

I think this issue is horrible honestly, it barely added anything to the sotry. It feels like a filler and a bad one. Magneto's purpose in this book is to be punched by a diffrent character in each issue and that's it.
    Last edited by Starchilde; 10-20-2021 at 10:07 AM.

Mighty Member

Yes. Marvel cancels critically acclaimed books that sell real well (X-Men, Hellions as examples) just so they can do a number 1 and sell a bunch of variant covers. Way of X is selling really well and it got cancelled for a stupid issue #1.

Leah has also stated this story was supposed to be smaller and more intimate. So we know the Avengers were added (so we can for the 100th time wonder if they will fight, and they will in a flashy two pager, but ultimately they'll come together to defeat a greater more pointless threat.).

That still doesn't mean I'm a Leah fan. XFactor did nothing for me. Some would say that's more of a critique than saying her work sucked.

They made all this fuss about hiding the truth of Wanda's death to Billy, and Brand lying and using it as political leverage or whatever and then he just appears today like is nothing lmao what

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Yes. Marvel cancels critically acclaimed books that sell real well (X-Men, Hellions as examples) just so they can do a number 1 and sell a bunch of variant covers. Way of X is selling really well and it got cancelled for a stupid issue #1.

Leah has also stated this story was supposed to be smaller and more intimate. So we know the Avengers were added (so we can for the 100th time wonder if they will fight, and they will in a flashy two pager, but ultimately they'll come together to defeat a greater more pointless threat.).

That still doesn't mean I'm a Leah fan. XFactor did nothing for me. Some would say that's more of a critique than saying her work sucked.
    I'm not talking about the "cancel and relaunch" strategy, obviously Marvel has been doing that for a while. But a lot of these conversations about X-factor veer into conspiracy theory imo. The simplest explanation for the book's cancellation is that the sales were not holding up. Marvel has no reason to cancel a book that sells well and not replace it right after. And it's not like they haven't let Marauders, X-force, New Mutants, and Excalibur run all this time on their original numbering.

I don't think Leah's writing is all bad and no part of X-factor was good. The book DID have some bright spots, particularly the New X-men stuff and the continuity beats. But blaming editorial for all of her writing missteps is a bit much for me; at what point is she responsible herself?

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    No. It likely wasn't the only reason.
    But the proposed story she pitched wasn't intended to happen for another few arcs down the X-factor line, so there is something to be said about the reality of "Your book is cancelled. Work on that other story and extend it out so we can make a mini. Here is your deadline. Also, we're calling it The Trial of Magneto"
    In that reality you mention, the book still got cancelled for reasons beyond "we're ending it because we like your Trial idea and we're making it bigger". I definitely agree that editorial has some part to play in the "eventness" of Trial. I just don't find it plausible that they ended X-factor to make way for Trial.
    Last edited by maxhilary; 10-20-2021 at 10:18 AM.

Marvel - "We need you to write an event that makes the Scarlet Witch a mutant again and leaves her no longer responsible for "No More Mutants" "

Any writer (not just LW, but any writer!) - "I can do this in 1-2 issues in a book"

Marvel - "We need it to be an event and a series"

A.W. - "How about a one shot? I can do this in one really focused book"

Marvel - "You have 5 issues to do it in"

A.W. "But I can do this in one issue...i don't need 5 issues"

Marvel - "You have 5 issues, get some filler in there"