Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Trial of Magneto#3 (Spoilers and Discussion)

Issue opens up with Wanda being greeted by everyone. She seems to be stuck in the past and not recognize more recent events. Before anything is cleared up, Northstar flies in and kicks Magnetos butt he's so angry that Kyle was threatened.

Everyone then reminds Magneto that he is still on trial. Northstar and Kyle then invite the Avengers to dinner to discuss more. Wiccan and Speed arrive to greet Wanda, and Wiccan instantly knows this is a backup version of her as she doesn't remember them. Rachel then peaks into Wanda's mind and confirms she is an old backup (pre M-Day). Rachel and Jean decide she needs her memories back (well after a second), good or bad.

Just then giant monsters attack the island. Northstar (w Cyclops blessing) leads the attack as the X-Men and Avengers unite against the monsters. Wanda is told to stay behind and wait, but her sons sneak her away.

The X-Men and Avengers fight these generic monsters and by the end, the monsters are revealed to be self-healing. The X-Men and Avengers act like this is their last stand.

We switch back to Wanda's weird storyline/dreams/chaos magic realm world, where she is being chased by a figure. Finally, Wanda stands up for herself which is what the mysterious figure wanted. The figure is revealed to be Old Woman Wanda.

Mighty Member

I liked the issue except for the generic monsters who arrived to distract everyone from the main story.

Astonishing Member

That Kaiju fight sounds random as heck.

The monsters are clearly related to Wanda/Chthon/Chaos Magic.

But how do Jean and Rachel give back her memories. The most they can do is give her memories as an onlooker. And Rachel and Jean were not present in HoM

This issue was a random train wreck. Why did we need the Kaiju fight? I'm sure they'll be chaos monsters but it took up too much of the issue and will be in the next issue. I'm also pretty sure Synch shouldn't be able to borrow Wasp's growing powers like that, since it's not a mutant ability. (Nm that last part, I was wrong!)

I think the book would have been okay without the Kaijus involved. That was just so random. The Avengers/Wanda/Magneto/X-Men interaction part was mostly fine. But Old Woman Wanda...while a decent revelation, after Old Man Wolverine, Hawkeye, Peter Quill, and so forth, it's becoming a bit tiresome. But, we haven't seen that part play out.

4/5 with out the Kaiju fights (issues 1 and 2 were 5/5 for me)
    2/5 with the Kaiju fights - too random and too much of the story.
    Last edited by Captain Nash; 10-20-2021 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    This issue was a random train wreck. Why did we need the Kaiju fight? I'm sure they'll be chaos monsters but it took up too much of the issue and will be in the next issue. I'm also pretty sure Synch shouldn't be able to borrow Wasp's growing powers like that, since it's not a mutant ability.

I think the book would have been okay without the Kaijus involved. That was just so random. The Avengers/Wanda/Magneto/X-Men interaction part was mostly fine. But Old Woman Wanda...while a decent revelation, after Old Man Wolverine, Hawkeye, Peter Quill, and so forth, it's becoming a bit tiresome. But, we haven't seen that part play out.

4/5 with out the Kaiju fights (issues 1 and 2 were 5/5 for me)
    2/5 with the Kaiju fights - too random and too much of the story.
    Synchs powers changed so he could copy the CotV powers so he can copy non mutants

I'm suspicious of Billy suddenly being there, when it was established elsewhere he has no idea what's going on with Wanda, and also of his very mild reaction to learning Wanda was killed and returned to factory settings. So we'll see where this goes...

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Synchs powers changed so he could copy the CotV powers so he can copy non mutants
    Ah thank you, I updated though didn't remove my comment, just noted I was wrong.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Synch's powers works on all super beings.

oh nvm. I type slow.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

I said in the other thread, this book doesn't seem to have an editor.

spoilers:
    - After they made a big point of how Billy wasn't there, suddenly he's there with no explanation.

- Billy and Tommy tell Wanda to come with them, but in the next scene, she's alone.

- David Messina's fill-in panels have Wanda's face traced from Elizabeth Olsen's, with no attempt to match the style of the main artist.

- I don't care as much about continuity stuff, but the editor should have told Williams that the "backup" Wanda would not know what chaos magic was or even that her powers were magic.
    end of spoilers

Maybe the seeming errors/inconsistencies are setting up something to be revealed later, but it doesn't make it feel any better reading it.
    Last edited by gurkle; 10-20-2021 at 07:21 AM.

I thought this was a trial and murder mystery. It’s like they deviated from the original plot smh

Extraordinary Member

Sometimes I wonder if this was supposed to be a Magneto/X-Factor story and they revamped it at the last minute after Wanda got popular.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I said in the other thread, this book doesn't seem to have an editor.

spoilers:
    - After they made a big point of how Billy wasn't there, suddenly he's there with no explanation.

- Billy and Tommy tell Wanda to come with them, but in the next scene, she's alone.

- David Messina's fill-in panels have Wanda's face traced from Elizabeth Olsen's, with no attempt to match the style of the main artist.

- I don't care as much about continuity stuff, but the editor should have told Williams that the "backup" Wanda would not know what chaos magic was or even that her powers were magic.
    end of spoilers

Maybe the seeming errors/inconsistencies are setting up something to be revealed later, but it doesn't make it feel any better reading it.
    No. Wanda knew her powers were magic related even before she married Vision.
    "Cable was right!"

Incredible Member

yea the monsters are weird for now but hopefully they make sense later.
    billy was weird in this issue. they made a big deal about making sure he doesnt find out in last annihilation because he would be mad but here he just shows up and seems fine with everything. was that even him or some weird chaos magic thing? maybe tied with that weird tommy and kyle part from the first issue?

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if this was supposed to be a Magneto/X-Factor story and they revamped it at the last minute after Wanda got popular.
    Leah said the story was much smaller and the editors thought it would be better as a bigger story. As a result I imagine the consequences will minute.