Default Paige Guthrie: Husk Appreciation Thread 2021

Husk (Paige Guthrie)

I mean, obviously, Paige hasn't had the most magnificent year since her biggest role to date in 2021 is that she died on a suicide mission to Orchis. However, even though it's a bit late in the year, I thought the Hayseed deserved a spot of her own in case there where any other major fans of hers out there!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yay! Paige! Hoping for something good coming her way soon.

Hopefully something that doesn’t involve any romance.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

I agree. Most of her romantic entanglements have been questionable to say the least. Yet, it seems to be mostly what she's used for. I'd love to see her back on a team, interacting with characters we've not seen with her before. Fallen Angels could have been an interesting concept, if the book hadn't completely sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    I agree. Most of her romantic entanglements have been questionable to say the least. Yet, it seems to be mostly what she's used for. I'd love to see her back on a team, interacting with characters we've not seen with her before. Fallen Angels could have been an interesting concept, if the book hadn't completely sucked.
    I think it says something that her least questionable and best “romance” was with Jono and they were terrible for each other. Plus that was ages ago. I like them being friends. Paige is very smart, she was studying chemistry and all that good jazz back in Generation X. Real shame that went nowhere. I would have loved for Paige to go into something science like. Real missed opportunity.

I would also love some good storytelling involving Paige. Something that really showcases her powers and what she can do. Her powers are so cool and artist could really create some great looks for her and she has a great personality.

I agree that Fallen Angels sucked and it’s a shame, I was hoping for something good for Paige.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;

This is great! I always loved Paige and found her a very interesting character, regarding both her powers and her background, family, personality and goals. I hope some writer would pick her up for a book, would be great to see more of her

Ultimate Member

I kind of want to see more of all the Guthries, and a story focus on Paige could also bring up how Jay is adjusting to being alive again (after more or less hating being a mutant so much that he mutilated himself and joined a mutant-hating church that killed a bunch of his friends), what sort of powers Jeb has (some sort of 'harmless' blue plasma-lightning?), how Melody is faring (and how her 'flight aura' is or is not different than just 'flight'), whether or not Elizabeth has hit her 'mutant awakening' and developed the size-changing powers we saw foreshadowed in Age of Apocalypse, etc.

Paige is also great, because she's pretty much Darwin or Lifeguard, before those characters were a thing, able to 'husk' herself and assume various forms to adapt to different situations. She's never just one thing, the stabby clawed one, or the animal-girl, or the metal-dude. She can do it all! But that leaves her with a more complex role. Someone with one clear defined niche can focus on that strength, while she has to be more mentally flexible, adapting to all sorts of new roles or power-types. Right now, she can fly. In ten minutes, she might need to be made of metal. And after that, she might need to be aquatic! She can't hyper-specialize and be as good at flying as Angel, because that's not her sole thing. She has to know about animals, about chemistry, about different environments, all sorts of stuff!

fallen angels v2 prayer circle

in my haste to post I neglected to consider there have already been two volumes. in this time of deep shame and embarrassment I ask only to be ignored

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    fallen angels v3 prayer circle
    Huh? What? I see nothing. I agree, hopefully we get another Fallen Angels book but done right, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I kind of want to see more of all the Guthries, and a story focus on Paige could also bring up how Jay is adjusting to being alive again (after more or less hating being a mutant so much that he mutilated himself and joined a mutant-hating church that killed a bunch of his friends), what sort of powers Jeb has (some sort of 'harmless' blue plasma-lightning?), how Melody is faring (and how her 'flight aura' is or is not different than just 'flight'), whether or not Elizabeth has hit her 'mutant awakening' and developed the size-changing powers we saw foreshadowed in Age of Apocalypse, etc.

Paige is also great, because she's pretty much Darwin or Lifeguard, before those characters were a thing, able to 'husk' herself and assume various forms to adapt to different situations. She's never just one thing, the stabby clawed one, or the animal-girl, or the metal-dude. She can do it all! But that leaves her with a more complex role. Someone with one clear defined niche can focus on that strength, while she has to be more mentally flexible, adapting to all sorts of new roles or power-types. Right now, she can fly. In ten minutes, she might need to be made of metal. And after that, she might need to be aquatic! She can't hyper-specialize and be as good at flying as Angel, because that's not her sole thing. She has to know about animals, about chemistry, about different environments, all sorts of stuff!
    All of this! Paige has so much potential and she can do so much. We just need a good writer who loves Paige!

I'm still surprised she's so underused. Whereas she could be just another blonde character, she's perhaps one of the most visually dynamic of the X-Men. That's before you even get to the legacy of being a Guthrie and her characterisation.

Incredible Member

She has been used as Paper Wall in X-Men, Fallen Angels and Children of The Atom. She has it way better than other blondes. Siana Blaze, Wallflower, Skids and Sanner comes to mind.

All of which are also viable characters.

It's just a shame that of the Generation X kids during this era, only Paige and Angelo haven't had any major spotlight. Beyond the suicide mission in House of X, worrying over Melody in X-Men, and one mission that didn't spotlight her in Fallen Angels, she hasn't done much.