Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Does Leah Williams actually have any qualifications to write fiction? Because this isn't even on the level of fan fiction, it's unreadable.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaStorm87 View Post
    Does Leah Williams actually have any qualifications to write fiction? Because this isn't even on the level of fan fiction, it's unreadable.
    You mean the PhD in Writingology that all serious writers famously have? Regardless of the quality of work, that's a pretty ridiculous thing to ask.

Fantastic Member

I'm not expecting her to have a PhD, but surely most writers have some sort of formal training?
    Last edited by OmegaStorm87; 10-26-2021 at 09:54 AM.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I'm not expecting her to have a PHD, but surely most writers have some sort of formal training?
    Not all writers do, but that doesn't indicate whether or not their writing is "readable" or not to someone. Just like many adults who go to school for one thing and end up making a career in an unrelated field. If you don't like her writing fine, but don't try to make this about education or schooling. It's as you might say, unreadable, and problematic.

There are many renowned writers who didn’t have any formal education, but their inner voice was the guide for the work they took the time to plan. As well as the people who proof read the work and gave needed critique. Leah is a hit and miss where it seems she has the plan, but isn’t following it properly and the editors aren’t caring about how the structure is. I’ll still pick up the last two issues for this mini cause I still want to see it to the end as some others do too. Leah will just be one of those writers I’ll raise an eyebrow at when she writes, but still keep a level of optimism.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Leah Williams has already proved herself as a writer. She wrote two great issues in X-Men Black and the Annual with Magik. X-Factor was a good title.

It's non-sense to question her "credentials" as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Leah Williams has already proved herself as a writer. She wrote two great issues in X-Men Black and the Annual with Magik. X-Factor was a good title.

I recently read that Magik issue and it was soooo good. I was honestly shocked that I enjoyed it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post

She's a subpar writer IMO and most of her work on the X-franchise has been terrible. She might be better with oneshots if anything any plot that needs to be carried past a few issues has been for the most part, not good. This mini might be one of her worst. The only props I will give her is Extremists. That was alright

BANNED

I'm not expecting her to have a PhD, but surely most writers have some sort of formal training?
    Most writers these days have MFAs. Masters in fine arts in fiction, playwright if, screenwriting, etc. Many do have PhDs.

This isn’t like the 1980s.

Film and television is more lucrative than completely and they do indeed get better qualified and paid writing.

Even Jason Aaron has a bachelors degree in English, and I’m thinking Comics current comics writers these days at least have a bachelors degree in English or a field.

With peace and love, I feel this issue suffers greatly from the art. Its just not the SCOPE we've become accustomed to since HoX/PoX era began. Its stiff and flat. The dynamism of the Kaiju situation (regardless of its reception by readers) is lost. I imagine what this issue would read like were it drawn by Pepe Larraz. The mood and tone would be dramatically different and potentially lend toward a clearer understanding of what otherwise read as a "huh?" moment in the narrative. The very obvious actor photo referencing also pulls the reader from what should be an immersive experience.

I am not arguing any of the disjointed (Oh Hi Billy, so you're here now??) and/or less believable moments (Rachel's and Jean's memory moment) but given recent revelations about process expedition and editorial oversight and interference, I'm left with a pit of uncertainty in my stomach as to how/why these moments would land where they did.

I will also admit to having a fondness for Leah Williams, as a person and as a talent, so to continually hear/read/see folks shred her to bits over many aspects of this job being largely beyond her control, despite her best efforts, is disheartening. Demonstrating empathy for a creative person's situation-- particularly in a field that produces works of art you're passionate about -- does not make an "apologist".
    Last edited by Fokken; 10-28-2021 at 06:07 AM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I agree they built up Billy finding out about Wanda to then just be here, without much explanation and without much of a reaction. I know he has his mom but Wanda is his favorite avenger and he went to great pains to rescue her on CC so it´s quite OOC for him to be so unnafected by finding out her dead was hidden from him but I think this is the most we will see of him on this event because the story in general looks rushed and the characters are being just taken to the place they need to be, without much a attention to their characterization.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 10-28-2021 at 06:16 AM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Scarlet Witch's Death Just Set Up Her Ultimate Upgrade
    https://screenrant.com/scarlet-witch...eto-old-wanda/

I'm not sure how that's supposed to mean a power up. When mother, maiden, crone was used as a reference in her solo without a power up. I think it is just a reference to those archetypes and that older Wanda is just more experienced, and has already lived Wanda's future. Wanda also already wields chaos magic, which comes from the earliest days of the universe. So that's pretty much already a part of her lore with the gift from Chthon.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I'm not sure how that's supposed to mean a power up. When mother, maiden, crone was used as a reference in her solo without a power up. I think it is just a reference to those archetypes and that older Wanda is just more experienced, and has already lived Wanda's future. Wanda also already wields chaos magic, which comes from the earliest days of the universe. So that's pretty much already a part of her lore with the gift from Chthon.
    There is a distinct difference between three different individuals representing an three aspects of an arch type and one person representing three aspects. It’s the same with Hekate who represents the three as one. I’ve always suspected Wanda could take her place when she died in her solo. I wouldn’t completely rule it out, but see it as a very low probability that it could happen.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Quote Originally Posted by Covetous_One View Post
    There is a distinct difference between three different individuals representing an three aspects of an arch type and one person representing three aspects. It’s the same with Hekate who represents the three as one. I’ve always suspected Wanda could take her place when she died in her solo. I wouldn’t completely rule it out, but see it as a very low probability that it could happen.
    Considering the theory that the Wandas will merge, it seems exactly the same. Screenrant always reaches hard with their theories anyway. I think the most possible thing is the bare minimum happens with this event and most things don't mean anything, figuratively or literally.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.