Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    103

    Default Y the Last Man Omni or Hellblazer by Garth Ennis Omni?

    I'm torn if i should buy Y the Last Man omni or the Hellblazer by Garth Ennis omni, I can only have one atm

    The Hellblazer omni is bit cheaper than Y, and I've watched/heard from CB youtubers saying that Ennis' run of the character is a good starting point in reading Hellblazer eventho the run starts from issue 41.

    I've heard a lot of good things about Y the Last Man, good story, characters and gritty/realistic tone for a SciFi story.

    Which one should I get? any advice? thank you!

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 950Killer View Post
    I'm torn if i should buy Y the Last Man omni or the Hellblazer by Garth Ennis omni, I can only have one atm

    Which one should I get? any advice? thank you!
    I'd go with Y.
    Why yes, I do enjoy hearing myself talk. it is very kind of you to notice>

  3. #3
    Incredible Member Hol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 950Killer View Post
    I'm torn if i should buy Y the Last Man omni or the Hellblazer by Garth Ennis omni, I can only have one atm

    The Hellblazer omni is bit cheaper than Y, and I've watched/heard from CB youtubers saying that Ennis' run of the character is a good starting point in reading Hellblazer eventho the run starts from issue 41.

    I've heard a lot of good things about Y the Last Man, good story, characters and gritty/realistic tone for a SciFi story.

    Which one should I get? any advice? thank you!
    Y the last man. No question in my mind. It is one of my all time favorite series.
    Read the current Flash run by Jeremy Adams! The first issue is #768. The best comic being published by DC these days. Hands down.

  4. #4
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,826

    Default

    Y The Last Man for sure.

    Avoid the shitty TV adaptation at all costs. It completely missed the point of the comics

  5. #5
    Incredible Member Hol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Y The Last Man for sure.

    Avoid the shitty TV adaptation at all costs. It completely missed the point of the comics
    What do you mean? I like the show but not nearly as much as the comics. Just curious to your point of view on the show.
    Read the current Flash run by Jeremy Adams! The first issue is #768. The best comic being published by DC these days. Hands down.

  6. #6
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    What do you mean? I like the show but not nearly as much as the comics. Just curious to your point of view on the show.
    Y The Last Man worked for me because it balanced out the darkness of the dystopian setting by making our protagonist this likeable but completely useless manchild having misadventures, whereas the show seemed to think it was a dour serious-minded political drama almost entirely devoid of humor, which was the secret weapon of the comics.

    It's completely unsurprising to me that the show failed as quickly as it did.

  7. #7
    Mighty Member krazijoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Y The Last Man worked for me because it balanced out the darkness of the dystopian setting by making our protagonist this likeable but completely useless manchild having misadventures, whereas the show seemed to think it was a dour serious-minded political drama almost entirely devoid of humor, which was the secret weapon of the comics.

    It's completely unsurprising to me that the show failed as quickly as it did.
    It failed because of the cost, not because it was "bad".

  8. #8
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    It failed because of the cost, not because it was "bad".
    Yes, the cost of the show outweighed the number of viewers it had, and it didn't have enough viewers because not enough people thought it was good enough to keep watching.

    That's how big budget stuff works. It's why the Green Lantern movie was considered a failure and Man of Steel wasn't viewed as a success despite both films making hundreds upon hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office.

    If people enjoyed the Y The Last Man TV show, more power too them, but that show bore little resemblance to the tone of the comic that I enjoyed, and failed to garner enough of an audience from either fans of the comics like myself or casual viewers to justify the cost of making it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •