Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Sales Figures : Spider-Man and Related Titles

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...september-2021

September 2021 (Note these rankings doesn't include DC)

#2 Amazing Spider-Man #73- 138,831
    #4 Amazing Spider-Man #74- 122,219
    #6 Extreme Carnage Toxin #1 - 100,810
    #14 Miles Morales Spider-Man #30- 74,127
    #16 Demon Days Cursed Web #1- 72,494
    #25 Extreme Carnage Omega #1- 62,201
    #33 Sinister War #4 - 55,466
    #35 Extreme Carnage Agony #1- 54,516
    #72 Non-Stop Spider-Man #5- 26,592
    #74 Black Cat #10- 26,374
    #101 Spider-Woman #15- 19,893

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Didn't realize #30 Miles had such a boost. New costume and anniversary would help.

Incredible Member

Didn’t realize comics were selling this well! Several above 100k?? Wow.

Huh people are buying the carnage stuff guess symbiotic haven’t fallen off. As for the sales being over 100k that should be a success right don’t know what sales were like in the hay day but I assume something close?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

As an aside, I'm shocked that Black Cat has seemingly gotten cancelled when it stabilized in a fairly healthy range.

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    Didn't realize #30 Miles had such a boost. New costume and anniversary would help.
    What shocks me even more that didn't get included in OP is the Facsmile reprint of Fallout #4 (Miles' first appearance) also did massive numbers, ending up in the top 10 at 92,542.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 11-03-2021 at 08:30 AM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Extraordinary Member

"These are estimates of comic sales by Diamond Comic Distributors U.S. to comic specialty stores during September 2021. "

"The differences in how the data behind these charts is collected are many. Sell-in charts like the ones below show all the launch sales happening on the same day, while sell-through sales happen over time, moving sales into different periods. Sell-in shows what retailers think they will sell, while sell-through shows what they actually do sell. Sell-in sales are influenced by incentive variants, which increase the number of copies ordered (to get a variant that can be sold at a premium price), but may not increase the number of copies sold at retail by the same amount."

These are the copies ordered by shops, which stuff like variants leads to them buying more.As much as I want it too, these numbers are nowhere near the sell-through numbers hence you see piles of these comics stocked at stores w/ no one buying them.They order a lot for variants, etc.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    As an aside, I'm shocked that Black Cat has seemingly gotten cancelled when it stabilized in a fairly healthy range.

What shocks me even more that didn't get included in OP is the Facsmile reprint of Fallout #4 (Miles' first appearance) also did massive numbers, ending up in the top 10 at 92,542.
    The Black Cat numbers are not that great ( especially considering the team involved and the favorable reviews). Why? I simply think it is hard to sell a female driven superhero comic ( even today). Why? The primary readership is male and like female sports leagues, most guys are not interested as much as something targeted at males or at all.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    It's a shame but Mckay is doing Cat one shots which I feel are better than a solo, also even though they are buying it I doubt it's selling as much.

Still it def. deserved to be continued

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Huh people are buying the carnage stuff guess symbiotic haven’t fallen off. As for the sales being over 100k that should be a success right don’t know what sales were like in the hay day but I assume something close?
    Comics back then sold much more on average, but they were also cheaper.

Lower end of 20k is generally cancellation numbers, so Spidey selling that much from random non-crossover issues is doing really well.

Speaking of cancellation numbers, do we know if Spider-Woman is getting cancelled too? 'Cause from these numbers, Black Cat is selling a bit more, yet I only hear about Black Cat getting cancelled.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Comics back then sold much more on average, but they were also cheaper.

Lower end of 20k is generally cancellation numbers, so Spidey selling that much from random non-crossover issues is doing really well.

Speaking of cancellation numbers, do we know if Spider-Woman is getting cancelled too? 'Cause from these numbers, Black Cat is selling a bit more, yet I only hear about Black Cat getting cancelled.
    Same, I think it will.Also if it does don't care much about the writer but the artist needs to be put on ASM/a Spidey comic ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    The Black Cat numbers are not that great ( especially considering the team involved and the favorable reviews). Why? I simply think it is hard to sell a female driven superhero comic ( even today). Why? The primary readership is male and like female sports leagues, most guys are not interested as much as something targeted at males or at all.
    I would think of any female-led title the Black Cat book would still appeal to a male audience.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I would think of any female-led title the Black Cat book would still appeal to a male audience.
    My thoughts exactly LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Same, I think it will.Also if it does don't care much about the writer but the artist needs to be put on ASM/a Spidey comic ASAP
    The writer's Pacheco I think, and she, well, she likes twists, problem is that she does twists too damn often, almost literally every issue, so they few kinda meaningless.

The art had awkward facial expressions at times, but was generally good yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It does to a certain extent, but super-heroines generally sell less 'cause since super-heroes are male driven, they prefer male characters as the main characters.

Not that it means male readers only read stuff with male protagonists, but the preference being there means female characters are likely going to sell less by default.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I feel like even with keeping in mind these are "shipped to stores" you can get a good idea which series are performing well despite that by if they are getting reorders/second printings.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    The writer's Pacheco I think, and she, well, she likes twists, problem is that she does twists too damn often, almost literally every issue, so they few kinda meaningless.
    Now that you mention it:

- Jessica Drew's employer had her infected with a deadly virus!

- Said employer is trying to cure his daughter of a disease and isn't a bad guy!

- But wait, he's her brother! The girl is her niece!

- It turns out her mom had another family! And is alive!

- But wait, said mom is a clone! And there is an army of mom clones!