Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69

Thread: New Silk comic

  1. #1
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    5,595

    Default New Silk comic

    https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/silk-...mpression=true

    Ngl this does not sound good at all

  2. #2
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,208

    Default

    What is this, her third on-going series in 5 years? I feel like Regina George needs to step in and tell them to stop trying to make fetch happen… or Silk in this case.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    3,426

    Default

    Huh, and here I thought he comic was an on-going, not a mini.

    "Cindy Moon is back in a new Silk adventure dealing with "ancient Korean magic" and social media"

    What the fuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    What is this, her third on-going series in 5 years? I feel like Regina George needs to step in and tell them to stop trying to make fetch happen… or Silk in this case.
    It might be another mini lol.

  4. #4
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    What is this, her third on-going series in 5 years? I feel like Regina George needs to step in and tell them to stop trying to make fetch happen… or Silk in this case.
    Her last mini sold fairly well, with final issue #5 at 38,665 units so I am surprised they didn't turn it into an ongoing and kept Maurene Goo as a writer.

  5. #5
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    75,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Her last mini sold fairly well, with final issue #5 at 38,665 units so I am surprised they didn't turn it into an ongoing and kept Maurene Goo as a writer.
    I was wondering why they were doing another mini, but seems like the last was surprisingly successful.

    Seems weird to keep the aritst and not the writer, but maybe Goo couldn't fit a new Silk series into her schedule.

    Also, I guess InHyuk Lee didn't get the memo that Cindy's hair is long again.

  6. #6

    Default

    Silk sucks. My least favourite comic book character ever.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    What is this, her third on-going series in 5 years? I feel like Regina George needs to step in and tell them to stop trying to make fetch happen… or Silk in this case.
    This. Silk is garbage.

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    5,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I was wondering why they were doing another mini, but seems like the last was surprisingly successful.

    Seems weird to keep the aritst and not the writer, but maybe Goo couldn't fit a new Silk series into her schedule.

    Also, I guess InHyuk Lee didn't get the memo that Cindy's hair is long again.
    Mini's are much much easier to sell than an ongoing, so it makes sense.Also have contained stories rather than overarching ones which is good, Symbiote Spider-man is a mini format and one of the better comics even if a little weird at times.

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Silk sucks. My least favourite comic book character ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    What is this, her third on-going series in 5 years? I feel like Regina George needs to step in and tell them to stop trying to make fetch happen… or Silk in this case.
    Have to agree, I don't hate her but damn we have way too many Spider people and specially Spider girls and Silk hasn't gotten anything special.Her best stuff was w/ Peter and responsibility and regret w/ the bunker thing, which is saying get more Spider-man in these because they have no relation to him and aisde from good stories w/ him it will sell better.I'd but a Silk mini if Peter was helping her settle in a new city/ even alt. earth and she was finding her own way.

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    What is this, her third on-going series in 5 years? I feel like Regina George needs to step in and tell them to stop trying to make fetch happen… or Silk in this case.
    Not really. Her first "two" ongoing series were really all the same run -- it was just interrupted by the line-wide SECRET WARS event that caused every single ongoing book at the time to have to end and be relaunched.

    Since then she's had one miniseries, and now this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Seems weird to keep the aritst and not the writer, but maybe Goo couldn't fit a new Silk series into her schedule.
    Maybe so. I'm disappointed Goo isn't continuing with Silk though -- I've enjoyed her work with her thus far.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Also, I guess InHyuk Lee didn't get the memo that Cindy's hair is long again.
    Or maybe she's cutting her hair again?

    I am glad to see Silk getting another project, whether it is a mini or an ongoing. Not sure what to make of the "ancient Korean magic" story at this point, but then we really don't have a lot of info to go on yet. If Silk is dealing with magic stuff again though, I hope we get to see her ghostly boyfriend Spectro turn up.

    The social media thing sounds like it will be continuing to explore Cindy's "woman out of time" aspect due to her decade in the bunker. We've seen her struggling with some of those issues in her previous solo projects--which is how she ended up getting nicknamed "Analog" by Jonah Jameson for her old-school tendencies.

  10. #10
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Not really. Her first "two" ongoing series were really all the same run -- it was just interrupted by the line-wide SECRET WARS event that caused every single ongoing book at the time to have to end and be relaunched.

    Since then she's had one miniseries, and now this.



    Maybe so. I'm disappointed Goo isn't continuing with Silk though -- I've enjoyed her work with her thus far.



    Or maybe she's cutting her hair again?

    I am glad to see Silk getting another project, whether it is a mini or an ongoing. Not sure what to make of the "ancient Korean magic" story at this point, but then we really don't have a lot of info to go on yet. If Silk is dealing with magic stuff again though, I hope we get to see her ghostly boyfriend Spectro turn up.

    The social media thing sounds like it will be continuing to explore Cindy's "woman out of time" aspect due to her decade in the bunker. We've seen her struggling with some of those issues in her previous solo projects--which is how she ended up getting nicknamed "Analog" by Jonah Jameson for her old-school tendencies.
    That doesn’t make sense. Why would she struggle with social media? She was in a bunker for 7 years iirc. You can be generous and say it’s been a year or two since she was released (more than enough time to catch up), but there was still a ton of social media around in the early 2010s… Facebook, Instagram, YouTube was all around. What’s new since then? TikTok? Seems like the writers are just looking for ANY angle to make her interesting. Also, why can’t a Korean-American character just be a normal superhero whose racial identity is incidental and not driving the plot? Why does she need to be searching for “ancient Korean magic”? That reminds me of the 70s when almost every African-American character needed “Black” in their name, or play up some connection to voodoo or the ghetto…
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 10-20-2021 at 11:49 PM.

  11. #11
    Amazing Member jda95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Also, why can’t a Korean-American character just be a normal superhero whose racial identity is incidental and not driving the plot? Why does she need to be searching for “ancient Korean magic”? That reminds me of the 70s when almost every African-American character needed “Black” in their name, or play up some connection to voodoo or the ghetto…
    Silk’s been around 7 years and her storylines have never had much to do with being Asian, other than I guess being a member of Agents of Atlas and her Silkworm outfit she wore during the clone conspiracy.

    I feel like the only person in this thread that doesn’t hate the girl…

  12. #12
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,360

    Default

    A lot of you need to remember Silk is about to become a household name with her tv show on Amazon prime, Marvel isn't just pushing these books out randomly.

  13. #13
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    That doesn’t make sense. Why would she struggle with social media? She was in a bunker for 7 years iirc. You can be generous and say it’s been a year or two since she was released (more than enough time to catch up), but there was still a ton of social media around in the early 2010s… Facebook, Instagram, YouTube was all around. What’s new since then? TikTok? Seems like the writers are just looking for ANY angle to make her interesting. Also, why can’t a Korean-American character just be a normal superhero whose racial identity is incidental and not driving the plot? Why does she need to be searching for “ancient Korean magic”? That reminds me of the 70s when almost every African-American character needed “Black” in their name, or play up some connection to voodoo or the ghetto…
    Maybe because Asian readers like to see connections to their culture? Or everything should be "plain white western" regardless of the race, gender or orientation of the character to not displease the entitled and the intolerants?

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    A lot of you need to remember Silk is about to become a household name with her tv show on Amazon prime, Marvel isn't just pushing these books out randomly.
    Silk is getting a show on Amazon Prime?
    Not Disney+

    She's getting a show?????
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

  15. #15
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    5,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    That doesn’t make sense. Why would she struggle with social media? She was in a bunker for 7 years iirc. You can be generous and say it’s been a year or two since she was released (more than enough time to catch up), but there was still a ton of social media around in the early 2010s… Facebook, Instagram, YouTube was all around. What’s new since then? TikTok? Seems like the writers are just looking for ANY angle to make her interesting. Also, why can’t a Korean-American character just be a normal superhero whose racial identity is incidental and not driving the plot? Why does she need to be searching for “ancient Korean magic”? That reminds me of the 70s when almost every African-American character needed “Black” in their name, or play up some connection to voodoo or the ghetto…
    This, Peter was teaching her SM the first day IIRC.And the SM angle is never done well in comics IMO.
    This, like we're just people like the rest of us.Not every superhero from an ethnically diverse background needs this, specially when it's not a part of their origin.

    Quote Originally Posted by jda95 View Post
    Silk’s been around 7 years and her storylines have never had much to do with being Asian, other than I guess being a member of Agents of Atlas and her Silkworm outfit she wore during the clone conspiracy.

    I feel like the only person in this thread that doesn’t hate the girl…
    Yeah, but this isn't how they should include it IMO.Just have her discover the culture because she wants to when she's on a mission.That would be much better.


    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    A lot of you need to remember Silk is about to become a household name with her tv show on Amazon prime, Marvel isn't just pushing these books out randomly.
    Which isn't set in MCU or sony-verse, why are they making that again?
    We have multiple Spider-women/people who have bigger fanbases but they choose her why?And she's the one whose origin is tied to Peter the most which they will ignore since they can't use him, so again why?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    Maybe because Asian readers like to see connections to their culture? Or everything should be "plain white western" regardless of the race, gender or orientation of the character to not displease the entitled and the intolerants?
    As an Asian, I would like to see some of their/our identity in the comics as much as in the real world but stop w/ the magic stuff.It's a stereotypical and not fun.Kamala Khan in comics handles it perfectly, the rumors for the show is just like this plot and it's horrible.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •