Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Silk comic

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    Maybe because Asian readers like to see connections to their culture? Or everything should be "plain white western" regardless of the race, gender or orientation of the character to not displease the entitled and the intolerants?
    Don’t you think it’s pandering or playing on ethnic stereotypes? I’m Jewish and I like the fact there’s Jewish characters like Moon Knight and Kitty Pryde who are just incidentally Jewish and not trying to uncover ancient rabbinical secrets. I think Korean-American readers would similarly like incidentally Asian characters whose identity is multi-faceted and not trying to discover “ancient Korean magic”, whatever that means.

Anyway, I’ve said my piece about it. You can reply if you want, but I’m done.

Extraordinary Member

Last edited by Spiderfan001; 10-21-2021 at 06:17 AM.

Yeah, why the hostility towards a Korean writer bringing in her culture to the story she's telling? I like consuming media from other countries that bring in their cultures to see new things rather than the same old western centric narratives and concepts. At least don't rule it out just because of the premise and already call it "stereotypical" (which is weird you call it that since I can't think of examples of korean-themed storylines in mainstream superhero comics) without seeing the execution first.

The whole social media thing does sound kinda iffy. Does anyone know anything about the writer? I'm googling her and I can't find a thing she's done.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    Yeah, why the hostility towards a Korean writer bringing in her culture to the story she's telling? I like consuming media from other countries that bring in their cultures to see new things rather than the same old western centric narratives and concepts. At least don't rule it out just because of the premise and already call it "stereotypical" (which is weird you call it that since I can't think of examples of korean-themed storylines in mainstream superhero comics) without seeing the execution first.

The whole social media thing does sound kinda iffy. Does anyone know anything about the writer? I'm googling her and I can't find a thing she's done.
    It's her comic writing debut

Yeah, but what about other things she's done? I hope we don't get another Gabby Rivera situation in which the writer had barely done a thing, let alone their first work on comics, and ultimately killed the character for a while (only for America to be saved by her upcoming movie appearance).

Googling just leads me to a cook. The interview doesn't highlight anything else she's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Or maybe she's cutting her hair again?
    I guess that depends on Miyazawa, unless Kim wants it short again.
    The social media thing sounds like it will be continuing to explore Cindy's "woman out of time" aspect due to her decade in the bunker. We've seen her struggling with some of those issues in her previous solo projects--which is how she ended up getting nicknamed "Analog" by Jonah Jameson for her old-school tendencies.
    The social media aspect is giving me bad flashbacks to the last Champions run.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    A lot of you need to remember Silk is about to become a household name with her tv show on Amazon prime, Marvel isn't just pushing these books out randomly.
    I completely forgot that that's still happening.
    Yeah, but what about other things she's done? I hope we don't get another Gabby Rivera situation in which the writer had barely done a thing, let alone their first work on comics, and ultimately killed the character for a while (only for America to be saved by her upcoming movie appearance).

Googling just leads me to a cook. The interview doesn't highlight anything else she's done.
    I figure they were looking for a new writer who fit ethnically and maybe found an unknown whose pitched they like?

I liked the last Silk miniseries so I'll check it out. I have a soft spot for urban fantasy investigators since Yu Yu Hakusho. So the ancient Korean magic stuff feels right up my alley.

I'm assuming the upcoming Amazon series is set in the Sonyverse. I don't mind if it's set outside of the MCU.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-21-2021 at 09:05 AM.

Cindy is back not that I'm complaining. "Korean magic" well she fought a devil cat in her last series I'm guessing it will be more like that for this run
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Or maybe she's cutting her hair again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess that depends on Miyazawa, unless Kim wants it short again.
    Miyazawa doesn't seem to like drawing bobbed hair. He gave Spider-Gwen longer hair when he drew her book - she promptly reverted to a bob when another writer took over. So I'm certain that Cindy's hair will be long here.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    That doesn’t make sense. Why would she struggle with social media? She was in a bunker for 7 years iirc. You can be generous and say it’s been a year or two since she was released (more than enough time to catch up), but there was still a ton of social media around in the early 2010s… Facebook, Instagram, YouTube was all around. What’s new since then? TikTok? Seems like the writers are just looking for ANY angle to make her interesting.
    If anything the biggest thing that changed is how people react to stuff, since it's a lot more immediate now, that and influencers.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Which isn't set in MCU or sony-verse, why are they making that again?
    We have multiple Spider-women/people who have bigger fanbases but they choose her why?And she's the one whose origin is tied to Peter the most which they will ignore since they can't use him, so again why?
    Probably because she scores a minority point, and hasn't been used in anything yet outside the comics, so gets an use and not Anya.

Ah yes, that "holy menstruation" **** lol.

Anyways, guess the "ancient Korean magic" can make Cindy stand out a bit more, either that or it'll be a gimmick she'll deal with lol.

Oh well, may the new writer not **** over Cindy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Probably because she scores a minority point, and hasn't been used in anything yet outside the comics, so gets an use and not Anya.
    Figures, and they will change her a lot as well.The origin w/ Peter won't be a thing, the pheromones which if dealt w/ right could be interesting won't be a thing(def. not the same as comics, which I can't decide is good or bad) so IDK.

Probably because she scores a minority point, and hasn't been used in anything yet outside the comics, so gets an use and not Anya..
    Well, Anya's currently a Black Widow character so...

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Figures, and they will change her a lot as well.The origin w/ Peter won't be a thing,
    Well, if the Venom movie is any hint, they're really willing to cut off the Peter connection lol.

the pheromones which if dealt w/ right could be interesting won't be a thing(def. not the same as comics, which I can't decide is good or bad) so IDK.
    I doubt the pheromones thing is ever returning, it was the most widely despised thing about Cindy, and her first solo only vaguely alluded to it in a way that makes it sound like that Peter and Cindy just had a random fling lol.

Best way it could be implemented is if neither character were into it, but I doubt they'd put such a heavily sexual thing in her again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Anya's currently a Black Widow character so...
    Huh, was thinking she was back in limbo after Last Remains.

So she was Carol's sidekick that one time in Carol's comic, friends with Sue in her own comic, now Natasha's sidekick, guess that breaks the blonde pattern .

Extraordinary Member

Well, if the Venom movie is any hint, they're really willing to cut off the Peter connection lol.

I doubt the pheromones thing is ever returning, it was the most widely despised thing about Cindy, and her first solo only vaguely alluded to it in a way that makes it sound like that Peter and Cindy just had a random fling lol.

Best way it could be implemented is if neither character were into it, but I doubt they'd put such a heavily sexual thing in her again.

Huh, was thinking she was back in limbo after Last Remains.

So she was Carol's sidekick that one time in Carol's comic, friends with Sue in her own comic, now Natasha's sidekick, guess that breaks the blonde pattern .
    Yeah, atleast Raimi gave us a solid venom thing.

Agreed, I think they could make it like a mild version of Drew's pheromones(I read in some (probably fake)early leak) but better dropped.

Just have other Spiders show up in her solo, sales boost + great chance to interact

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

So I googled and found the announcement about SONY working with Amazon Prime for the SILK show.

I've only encountered Cindy here&there about the Spidey books. Much like my Ghost Spider(Spider-Gwen) familiarity. I did buy the Spider-Gwen Omni to help with that.
    Wonder if we will get a SILK Omni? Surely there is enough material for one now or will be soon.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime