Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default A penny for your thoughts on this

So recently came across this and wanted to know what you think about it:-

https://twitter.com/thewitchersbian/...95170518523905

Also another discussion in which I was involved that I would like to know what you all think about

Main tweet -> https://twitter.com/zatannafilm/stat...13203587649538

Discussion starts here-> https://twitter.com/THEB4TMANS/statu...13532135989249

I thought it was genuinely interesting until the other person unironically said "Men r trash"
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 10-20-2021 at 10:43 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

The short answer is that artists aren't very good at drawing a variety of female faces while going for an idealized beauty. With men, there's usually a wide variety. With women, they often have that same triangle face that society has deemed to be beauty. You see this in comics a lot where characters are generally impossible to distinguish except through hair color. I don't believe this is exclusively due to boys and men being the primary targeted consumer, but that certainly doesn't help.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    The short answer is that artists aren't very good at drawing a variety of female faces while going for an idealized beauty. With men, there's usually a wide variety. With women, they often have that same triangle face that society has deemed to be beauty. You see this in comics a lot where characters are generally impossible to distinguish except through hair color. I don't believe this is exclusively due to boys and men being the primary targeted consumer, but that certainly doesn't help.
    Thanks, it makes sense but I still can't tell whose who men or women in these w/out their hair.

Also I should have been more specific but I was talking more about the first link and the third one, the 2nd one was where the discussion happened and it was semi-related.

Pretty much all superhero comics are drawn with distorted body renderings (exaggerated muscles, hyper sexualized, often odd body proportions, etc.) and it's not uncommon at all for artists to render generically 'pretty' female and male faces that end up all looking pretty much alike except for hair or eye color. Some artists are better at rendering a more realistic and/or individualized human form and face than others. Comics fans have been pointing this out for years and will continue to do so. I doubt this will ever change so I don't get too fussed about it. Superheroes are fantasy characters, not real humans. If I really dislike the artwork or find the character renderings to be too distorted/sexualized/ridiculous, I just don't buy that book and avoid anything drawn by that artist in the future.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Pretty much all superhero comics are drawn with distorted body renderings (exaggerated muscles, hyper sexualized, often odd body proportions, etc.) and it's not uncommon at all for artists to render generically 'pretty' female and male faces that end up all looking pretty much alike except for hair or eye color. Some artists are better at rendering a more realistic and/or individualized human form and face than others. Comics fans have been pointing this out for years and will continue to do so. I doubt this will ever change so I don't get too fussed about it. Superheroes are fantasy characters, not real humans. If I really dislike the artwork or find the character renderings to be too distorted/sexualized/ridiculous, I just don't buy that book and avoid anything drawn by that artist in the future.
    This is my take as well, I find most people disagree on 2 things w/ this though

1)It's just women, nothing wrong or exaggerated w/ how men are handled in these
    2)Female characters should not be hot.They will literally attack any half-hot female character design

https://twitter.com/karazorlls/statu...23138918928399

Very recent and despite decent proportions even compared to real life much less comics and getting the eye colors right and getting the freckles which most forget people are mad at it, praising the variants w/ no freckles, etc.From what I've seen they attack/dislike any artist w/ an art style that makes female character look half-hot and praise art that (IDK how to describe it very accurately) is much more child-like.Someone posted ones(Peach momoko) I'm talking about in said tweet so you can check it out if you wish.

I like Both art styles btw, but hate when a small vocal minority wants one style dead and will hate on it whenever they can for no reason.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 10-21-2021 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    2)Female characters should not be hot.They will literally attack any half-hot female character design
    This one always amuses me 'cause those people talk like hot women don't exist in real life.

Now where's that penny?

This is my take as well, I find most people disagree on 2 things w/ this though

1)It's just women, nothing wrong or exaggerated w/ how men are handled in these

https://twitter.com/karazorlls/statu...23138918928399

Very recent and despite decent proportions even compared to real life much less comics and getting the eye colors right and getting the freckles which most forget people are mad at it, praising the variants w/ no freckles, etc.From what I've seen they attack/dislike any artist w/ an art style that makes female character look half-hot and praise art that (IDK how to describe it very accurately) is much more child-like.Someone posted ones(Peach momoko) I'm talking about in said tweet so you can check it out if you wish.

I like Both art styles btw, but hate when a small vocal minority wants one style dead and will hate on it whenever they can for no reason.
    WhErE aRe HeR OrGaNs???
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

So recently came across this and wanted to know what you think about it:-

https://twitter.com/thewitchersbian/...95170518523905

Also another discussion in which I was involved that I would like to know what you all think about

Main tweet -> https://twitter.com/zatannafilm/stat...13203587649538

Discussion starts here-> https://twitter.com/THEB4TMANS/statu...13532135989249

I thought it was genuinely interesting until the other person unironically said "Men r trash"
    I just saw it as female fans critiquing how women are drawn in comics and animation.

It's not a big deal to me because it's a worthwhile discussion to have.

PS. I don't accept Bitcoin .
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-24-2021 at 09:31 AM.

Comics artists have always had an issue drawing teens accurate to their age. And sometimes draw babies as creepy mini adults instead of with child-like features.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Superhero comics have always been mainly for a male public. It's for a simple reason: superhero fiction is a subgenre of action fiction. There are some other genres mixed as well, such as science fiction and fantasy, but action is the big one. And action is not appealing for female public, they prefer fiction about personal relations.

Are comics made for a male audience? OF COURSE. That's basic marketing. Adjusting a product for an audience that wouldn't consume it anyway would be suicidal. The only valid reason for comic books to stop including sexual content is if their audience lost the interest in it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Superhero comics have always been mainly for a male public. It's for a simple reason: superhero fiction is a subgenre of action fiction. There are some other genres mixed as well, such as science fiction and fantasy, but action is the big one. And action is not appealing for female public, they prefer fiction about personal relations.

Are comics made for a male audience? OF COURSE. That's basic marketing. Adjusting a product for an audience that wouldn't consume it anyway would be suicidal. The only valid reason for comic books to stop including sexual content is if their audience lost the interest in it.
    Or maybe to not sexualize women. It's not like women don't read comics. Nor do all of us men want to sexualize women either.