Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default A penny for your thoughts on this

So recently came across this and wanted to know what you think about it:-

https://twitter.com/thewitchersbian/...95170518523905

Also another discussion in which I was involved that I would like to know what you all think about

Main tweet -> https://twitter.com/zatannafilm/stat...13203587649538

Discussion starts here-> https://twitter.com/THEB4TMANS/statu...13532135989249

I thought it was genuinely interesting until the other person unironically said "Men r trash"
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 10-20-2021 at 10:43 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

The short answer is that artists aren't very good at drawing a variety of female faces while going for an idealized beauty. With men, there's usually a wide variety. With women, they often have that same triangle face that society has deemed to be beauty. You see this in comics a lot where characters are generally impossible to distinguish except through hair color. I don't believe this is exclusively due to boys and men being the primary targeted consumer, but that certainly doesn't help.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    The short answer is that artists aren't very good at drawing a variety of female faces while going for an idealized beauty. With men, there's usually a wide variety. With women, they often have that same triangle face that society has deemed to be beauty. You see this in comics a lot where characters are generally impossible to distinguish except through hair color. I don't believe this is exclusively due to boys and men being the primary targeted consumer, but that certainly doesn't help.
    Thanks, it makes sense but I still can't tell whose who men or women in these w/out their hair.

Also I should have been more specific but I was talking more about the first link and the third one, the 2nd one was where the discussion happened and it was semi-related.

Pretty much all superhero comics are drawn with distorted body renderings (exaggerated muscles, hyper sexualized, often odd body proportions, etc.) and it's not uncommon at all for artists to render generically 'pretty' female and male faces that end up all looking pretty much alike except for hair or eye color. Some artists are better at rendering a more realistic and/or individualized human form and face than others. Comics fans have been pointing this out for years and will continue to do so. I doubt this will ever change so I don't get too fussed about it. Superheroes are fantasy characters, not real humans. If I really dislike the artwork or find the character renderings to be too distorted/sexualized/ridiculous, I just don't buy that book and avoid anything drawn by that artist in the future.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Pretty much all superhero comics are drawn with distorted body renderings (exaggerated muscles, hyper sexualized, often odd body proportions, etc.) and it's not uncommon at all for artists to render generically 'pretty' female and male faces that end up all looking pretty much alike except for hair or eye color. Some artists are better at rendering a more realistic and/or individualized human form and face than others. Comics fans have been pointing this out for years and will continue to do so. I doubt this will ever change so I don't get too fussed about it. Superheroes are fantasy characters, not real humans. If I really dislike the artwork or find the character renderings to be too distorted/sexualized/ridiculous, I just don't buy that book and avoid anything drawn by that artist in the future.
    This is my take as well, I find most people disagree on 2 things w/ this though

1)It's just women, nothing wrong or exaggerated w/ how men are handled in these
    2)Female characters should not be hot.They will literally attack any half-hot female character design

https://twitter.com/karazorlls/statu...23138918928399

Very recent and despite decent proportions even compared to real life much less comics and getting the eye colors right and getting the freckles which most forget people are mad at it, praising the variants w/ no freckles, etc.From what I've seen they attack/dislike any artist w/ an art style that makes female character look half-hot and praise art that (IDK how to describe it very accurately) is much more child-like.Someone posted ones(Peach momoko) I'm talking about in said tweet so you can check it out if you wish.

I like Both art styles btw, but hate when a small vocal minority wants one style dead and will hate on it whenever they can for no reason.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 10-21-2021 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    2)Female characters should not be hot.They will literally attack any half-hot female character design
    This one always amuses me 'cause those people talk like hot women don't exist in real life.

Now where's that penny?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    This one always amuses me 'cause those people talk like hot women don't exist in real life.

Now where's that penny?
    Facts, not to mention these are (men and)women who in their peak physical condition or even better w/ powers.

Imma get back to you w/ that penny one of these days

Oh and, aside from the obvious double standard, the way male and female characters are objectified is different, female characters being objectified mostly focuses on the sexual side, while males focus on power, and it can look annoying to see female characters just being there for ass and boob shots when it's really bad.

Again, it is a double standard, same way women can feel insecure about being compared with those ridiculously hot female characters, men can feel insecure about not having muscles as defined as those ridiculously powerful characters... Oh well, I have theories about this whining, maybe it's US of A's anti-sex sentiment, or it's just people liking to talk ****, or something else, or a weird mix of those lol.

and getting the freckles
    MJ and her freckles are seriously inconsistent anyways lol.

Facts, not to mention these are (men and)women who in their peak physical condition or even better w/ powers.
    That and they're fictional characters wearing ridiculous costumes, it's all fantasy in the end, and since it's all fantasy, why not make the characters look pretty then? That simple lol.

Imma get back to you w/ that penny one of these days

Extraordinary Member

Oh and, aside from the obvious double standard, the way male and female characters are objectified is different, female characters being objectified mostly focuses on the sexual side, while males focus on power, and it can look annoying to see female characters just being there for ass and boob shots when it's really bad.

Again, it is a double standard, same way women can feel insecure about being compared with those ridiculously hot female characters, men can feel insecure about not having muscles as defined as those ridiculously powerful characters... Oh well, I have theories about this whining, maybe it's US of A's anti-sex sentiment, or it's just people liking to talk ****, or something else, or a weird mix of those lol.

MJ and her freckles are seriously inconsistent anyways lol.

That and they're fictional characters wearing ridiculous costumes, it's all fantasy in the end, and since it's all fantasy, why not make the characters look pretty then? That simple lol.

It's conventional attractive features, it's the same in modeling as well.Both are over-s*xualized but they have diff. features that are conventional attractive and hence exaggerated.

Agreed, but people specially ones who complain about this say that artists get specific features(like facial ones for example) wrong and that it's terrible so I bring up the freckles.

Facts, I was trying to reason in the realistic sense which still makes sense there but there's no need to in the first place.It's all about escapism and fantasy in the first place.

Legit scared me LOL

It's conventional attractive features, it's the same in modeling as well.Both are over-s*xualized but they have diff. features that are conventional attractive and hence exaggerated.
    Both get objectified but I don't see male characters being as blatant as females when it comes to sexualization, or getting as much attention.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but the way objectification of either sex happens, while there are things in common, are definitely not identical.

Agreed, but people specially ones who complain about this say that artists get specific features(like facial ones for example) wrong and that it's terrible so I bring up the freckles.
    If anything, considering MJ had no freckles for most of her existance, her having them at all is "wrong" lol.

Facts, I was trying to reason in the realistic sense which still makes sense there but there's no need to in the first place.It's all about escapism and fantasy in the first place.
    Even if a comic uses some realism as basis, it certainly doesn't have to go that far if the writer or artist doesn't want to, and complaining about characters looking pretty is just childish anyways.

Legit scared me LOL
    You won't have to be scared if you give me penny .

This is my take as well, I find most people disagree on 2 things w/ this though

https://twitter.com/karazorlls/statu...23138918928399

Very recent and despite decent proportions even compared to real life much less comics and getting the eye colors right and getting the freckles which most forget people are mad at it, praising the variants w/ no freckles, etc.From what I've seen they attack/dislike any artist w/ an art style that makes female character look half-hot and praise art that (IDK how to describe it very accurately) is much more child-like.Someone posted ones(Peach momoko) I'm talking about in said tweet so you can check it out if you wish.

I like Both art styles btw, but hate when a small vocal minority wants one style dead and will hate on it whenever they can for no reason.
    WhErE aRe HeR OrGaNs???
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Extraordinary Member

Both get objectified but I don't see male characters being as blatant as females when it comes to sexualization, or getting as much attention.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but the way objectification of either sex happens, while there are things in common, are definitely not identical.

If anything, considering MJ had no freckles for most of her existance, her having them at all is "wrong" lol.

Even if a comic uses some realism as basis, it certainly doesn't have to go that far if the writer or artist doesn't want to, and complaining about characters looking pretty is just childish anyways.

You won't have to be scared if you give me penny .
    That's my point, objectification of male and female characters isn't done the same way because (conventionally) both have diff. attractive features.But people using this diff. to say that objectification doesn't happen to males is wrong IMO.

Not to mention when I brought up that male characters are exaggerated the person said "men want that, women don't ask for it" and people liking that comment are RTing and drooling over Men being objectified in art(a character has hands on other characters oversized pecs in the art, don't know the characters) and the new Jason sweaty shirtless post workout cover by DC comics.So not only are they wrong but also generalize, then again these same people say "men r trash" unironically so what do you expect...

And Nightwing is more objectified than most female characters in the same way(butt is the feature here) and blatantly so and these same people love it, heck even companies don't shy away from it.Same w/ Spider-man to a lesser extent.

Yeah, but people hated on some MJ art a while back for not having them and saying it's taking away from her so I bring it up.

Facts, it's just fiction in the first place.

Well I'm fresh out of pennies but you can have this

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    WhErE aRe HeR OrGaNs???
    This LMAO, funny thing is this cover isn't even very unrealistic real world wise.One is a supermodel and the other is in a vigilante.And in a world of demons, dimensions, curses, magic, space gods, and hulks they find Slim waists unrealistic.Not to mention young men being jacked as heck beyond anything biologically possible being completely fine...

I don't have a problem with characters looking pretty or whatever. My one criticism of comic art in general is that characters like Black Widow, Electra, Psylocke etc. should be more muscular than they are drawn as they are involved in direct hand to hand combat more often. When you put Invisible Woman and Electra next to each other and their body proportions look roughly the same it's kinda ridiculous (I know Sue was taught martial arts before but she's usually a ranged fighter). On the other hand Magneto, a literal grandpa who almost never has to fight up close to begin with, is drawn like a hunk and it's equally ridiculous. I know there are excuses for that in universe but still.
    Last edited by Doom'nGloom; 10-22-2021 at 03:03 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I don't have a problem with characters looking pretty or whatever. My one criticism of comic art in general is that characters like Black Widow, Electra, Psylocke etc. should be more muscular than they are drawn as they are involved in direct hand to hand combat more often. When you put Invisible Woman and Electra next to each other and their body proportions look roughly the same it's kinda ridiculous (I know Sue was taught martial arts before but she's usually a ranged fighter). On the other hand Magneto, a literal grandpa who almost never has to fight up close to begin with, is drawn like a hunk and it's equally rediculous. I know there are excuses for that in universe but still.
    100% they should be more muscular, not like she hulk or anything but yeah.Thing is people loved it too, Black Cat in the Spider-man cartoon, Rogue in X-men and She hulk in the old cartoons as well.They can still be pretty as well.

I do wonder why people still draw Mags like they do, it's a meme but makes no sense artistically.I guess the FOX actor is why?

100% they should be more muscular, not like she hulk or anything but yeah.Thing is people loved it too, Black Cat in the Spider-man cartoon, Rogue in X-men and She hulk in the old cartoons as well.They can still be pretty as well.

I do wonder why people still draw Mags like they do, it's a meme but makes no sense artistically.I guess the FOX actor is why?
    My guess is to make him seem physically intimidating as he's usually depicted as an antagonist to the heroes. Other than that I have no idea.