Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ultimate Member

Honestly, I like most female spin offs, but as a whole they annoy me.

How does Marvel still not have a powerful, super strong female character who isn't her own character?

Why haven't they made more effort to avoid derivative characters, and get some females who have their own damn mythos?

What freakin' year is this?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    One thing I liked about Jessica Drew (and later, Julia Carpenter) is that they were *so* different, powers-wise, and in their origins, than Spider-Man, which made them feel nicely *not* derivative, despite the derivative names. Julia's powers even tying together (the same psi-force that allows her to throw 'webs' also anchors her to walls and allows her to cling and swing? Cool!) made it even more elegant feeling to me than Jessica's kinda random collection of flight, super-strength, wall-climbing, pheremones and 'venom blasts.'

As much as I like the *idea* of Silk, and find her a fun character, both in her solo stories and in Agents of Atlas, I find her 'just like Spider-Man' origin to be utterly bland. Even worse, she's like a Daken, all the powers of the original, plus some other crap. (organic webs, just like Daken is 'Wolverine + pheremones,' I like even less when the new, new version has all the original's powers, and more stuff!)

I love a good twist. Finding out that 'Hulkling' is a shapeshifting Skrull with some enhanced strength from his super-strong Kree dad? So much more interesting than 'got a blood transfusion from He-Hulk.'
    Spitting, specially the powers part.Miguel, Jessica, Julia,Hulkling do a great job at powers as compared to Silk and Miles who are all of the originals powers + more, like if you have camo+venom blast then take away the Spider-sense, etc.Due to Miles having all these he rarely uses his camo in comics and Venom Blast under Bendis was so bad for the story.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

How does Marvel still not have a powerful, super strong female character who isn't her own character?

Why haven't they made more effort to avoid derivative characters, and get some females who have their own damn mythos?

I guess with their 'Wonder Woman' being Storm, and the primary ladies on other teams not being strength-based-characters (Invisible Woman, Wasp, Scarlet Witch), and all the derivative super-strong ladies (She-Hulk, She-Spider-Man, She-Namor, She-Captain-Marvel, She-Thing, She-Thor), they never really noticed it.

Had Barbara Norris/Valkyrie either as a Defender or a Fearless Defender taken off, that would at least have been one. Or Sersi spent more time as an Avenger (and not quite so much a focus on her epic transmutation powers, and noted that she can lift like 20-40 tons, fly, throw zaps and tank a nuclear blast, when she's not in the mood to turn her enemies into pigs or do mind-whammies or illusions). Rogue's a weird case, since her strength is a hand-me-down from Carol which was a hand-me-down from Mar-Vell...

Thundra, maybe, although she squeaks 'not a Wonder Woman clone!' if you touch her.

Ms.America America Chavez. Super strength with unknown limits?, Superdurability, FTL speed, Teleporation interdimensional. I think she has her own unique Mythos.
    Last edited by Yin&Yang; 10-24-2021 at 01:49 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yin&Yang View Post
    Ms.America America Chavez. Super strength with unknown limits?, Superdurability, FTL speed, Teleporation interdimensional. I think she has her own unique Mythos.
    That's the one that comes to my mind too, although she's a C lister as of now.MoM will probably change that though.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    That's the one that comes to my mind too, although she's a C lister as of now.MoM will probably change that though.
    People hate B-C-D listers getting any attention. They get triggered and call any attempt of it as "shoving down my throat" or "pandering." I'm curious to see how much they are going to do with eternals. Right now they're selling cars in Lexus commercials. Since they're selling them as a pack, I don't know if we'll see Sersi back on the Avengers, but it would've been interesting to see Sersi in more places since she's a powerhouse that has a "magical" side to her.

America Chavez is going to be in Doctor Strange, so expect to see her popping up more unless they pull a Scarlet Witch on her too.

Ultimate Member

Because someone has to do the WORK.

That WORK includes fighting with editors to get stuff approved.

See Black Panther under Priest. Priest FOUGHT to make that book last as long as it did.

Along with this....

People hate B-C-D listers getting any attention. They get triggered and call any attempt of it as "shoving down my throat" or "pandering."
    This is not limited to fans but store owners and even employees of the company. And we see this nasty behavior get worst when it's POC, LGBTQA and some females.

What sad is those people will throw about doing anything with Scarlet Witch or America Chavez or Monica.

Yet ignore the investment in females with their own stuff at other companies like Red Sonja and Vampirella.
    Vampi just had a book starring an all female team.

Is it really that impossible for Storm or Emma to get a series that goes 24 issues like Vampi just did?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because someone has to do the WORK.

That WORK includes fighting with editors to get stuff approved.

See Black Panther under Priest. Priest FOUGHT to make that book last as long as it did.
    If only Marvel had the ability to assign writers, pay artists...

Marvel has to make the effort first, and they clearly haven't. Priest's Panther is of a different era from the world we live in today.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    People hate B-C-D listers getting any attention. They get triggered and call any attempt of it as "shoving down my throat" or "pandering." I'm curious to see how much they are going to do with eternals. Right now they're selling cars in Lexus commercials. Since they're selling them as a pack, I don't know if we'll see Sersi back on the Avengers, but it would've been interesting to see Sersi in more places since she's a powerhouse that has a "magical" side to her.

America Chavez is going to be in Doctor Strange, so expect to see her popping up more unless they pull a Scarlet Witch on her too.
    Only if they take out a legit A lister for them IMO, like I don't care about Ben Reilly getting a solo(actually I'd kinda like it) but if they take Peter out to do it then we have a problem.

Also Chavez was part of Ultimates IIRC, only place I read her and I loved it/her there, other stuff w/ her is what I barely read and not up my alley.Which is where I think C and below lister should get apperances, a team book means people buying for other characters get to read these ones as well and if done right can be great.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    This is not limited to fans but store owners and even employees of the company. And we see this nasty behavior get worst when it's POC, LGBTQA and some females.

What sad is those people will throw about doing anything with Scarlet Witch or America Chavez or Monica.

Yet ignore the investment in females with their own stuff at other companies like Red Sonja and Vampirella.
    Vampi just had a book starring an all female team.

Is it really that impossible for Storm or Emma to get a series that goes 24 issues like Vampi just did?
    Cap marvel, Spider-woman,Black Widow and even Black cat(split into 2 runs but basically one run w/ a renumbering) have solos in the range of 20's.Marauders is basically an Emma solo.And most X-men other than Wolvie's never get solo's and get team books instead.Scott hasn't gotten a solo in decades IIRC

Captain Marvel is at issue 33 or 34 I think. The original Spider-Woman run ran 50 issues. The Hallum Spider-Woman went about 27 issues, the current one is solicited through 19 so far. Thompson's Black Widow will likely bear the Edmondson/not run (which was 14 issues)
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Cap marvel, Spider-woman, Black Widow and even Black cat(split into 2 runs but basically one run w/ a renumbering) have solos in the range of 20's.Marauders is basically an Emma solo. And most X-men other than Wolvie's never get solo's and get team books instead. Scott hasn't gotten a solo in decades IIRC
    Dazzler's the only X-lady to break out of the X-ghetto and get a real solo, and that's because she was designed as a solo character first and an 'X-man' mutant second. Other mutants designed outside of the mutant titles, like Firestar or Namorita, similarly get more play outside the X-titles (as Avengers or New Warriors or whatever).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    People hate B-C-D listers getting any attention. They get triggered and call any attempt of it as "shoving down my throat" or "pandering."
    Every word QFT.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.