Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Captain Krakoa will be replacing X-Men leader Cyclops!

Now that mutantkind has their own nation, a new nationalistic hero has emerged - and he'll be replacing Cyclops as leader of the X-Men.

After revealing him to the public in September, Marvel has confirmed that Captain Krakoa "takes charge of the X-Men" in January 2022's X-Men #7 - even replacing team leader Cyclops, as seen in series artist Pepe Larraz's cover to the issue.

This apparent leadership change comes just months after Cyclops stepped down from Krakoa's leadership structure to focus exclusively on being the leader of the X-Men.

While there has been an X-Men member named X-Man, Marvel's mutant super-team has never really had an ultra-patriotic flagbearer akin to Captain America until the similarly-named Captain Krakoa. The publisher has described Captain Krakoa as "a new hero," but it appears he could have some connection to the new brooding villain Doctor Stasis, who has been appearing recently in the X-Men book.

That being said, it isn't out of the question that this could also be Cyclops in disguise; decades ago Cyclops took on the criminal identity of Erik the Red to infiltrate Magneto's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and was able to quickly rise within the ranks to become the second in command. That tactic sounds a bit like what could be at play here with Captain Krakoa, doesn't it?

A third option might be staring us in the face - what if Captain Krakoa is Krakoa? In addition to being the island the mutants are living on, Krakoa is a sentient mutant being - one which Professor X and Cypher have been experimenting, cultivating, and training to expand its consciousness to the point that it has manifested a roughly Groot-like body on several occasions. Krakoa's flowers are known to have special abilities, and Captain Krakoa not-so-coincidentally has flowers around his headpiece - could this be the next stage in Krakoa's existence?

According to Marvel, Captain Krakoa will debut in December 22's X-Men #6, followed by the just-revealed X-Men #7 on January 19, 2022.

https://www.gamesradar.com/captain-krakoa-x-men-7/

That's an interesting idea about Captain K. possibly being a manifestation of Krakoa itself. Though my gut is telling me that's Scott.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Duggan's X-Men Gold is boring af.

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Duggan's X-Men Gold is boring af.
    X 1000, is a solo to 2 characters ...x_x

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    That's an interesting idea about Captain K. possibly being a manifestation of Krakoa itself. Though my gut is telling me that's Scott.
    It seems Scott's arc is about to kick into high gear. I'm so intrigued by how things are lining up. It'll be interesting to see how everything unfolds.

Astonishing Member

Gabriel. I really hope this leads to how he survived

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I'm thinking it's either Scott in a suit allowing him to fly, or it's Vulcan in a new look and costume (given that he was part of Krakoa for so long previously).

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Yes, I feel the same.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

If it's not Scott it's definitely someone who's going to turn evil and betray everyone

The book has been quite enjoyable so far so I'll wait to see what happens.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

He's very muscly for Scott. Maybe it's because of the resurrection reveal - dead folks have to change identities. Although a little late on the Scott front.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    He's very muscly for Scott. Maybe it's because of the resurrection reveal - dead folks have to change identities. Although a little late on the Scott front.
    I thought the same thing about a change in identity but yeah, he's been seen publicly plenty of times already.

Us gym rats have bulking and cutting cycles and he's been beefy before.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

It’s probably Scott fused with the sentient and soul of Krakoa. Like Douglocke. This can be a massive power up for Scott.
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    If it's not Scott it's definitely someone who's going to turn evil and betray everyone
    Yeah looks like the usual arc. Big hero is introduced. Big hero pushes himself to the front of the team. Big hero turns out to be a fraud or evil. Etc.

Rainbow Rowells Runaways had such an arc only a short while ago. So the whole pattern is pretty fresh on my mind.

Which overall makes this sound like a skip arc for me. We have seen it before, we will likely see it again here and Duggans writing does not seem to be up to scratch to make it enjoyable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    While there has been an X-Men member named X-Man, Marvel's mutant super-team has never really had an ultra-patriotic flagbearer akin to Captain America until the similarly-named Captain Krakoa. The publisher has described Captain Krakoa as "a new hero," but it appears he could have some connection to the new brooding villain Doctor Stasis, who has been appearing recently in the X-Men book.

That being said, it isn't out of the question that this could also be Cyclops in disguise; decades ago Cyclops took on the criminal identity of Erik the Red to infiltrate Magneto's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and was able to quickly rise within the ranks to become the second in command. That tactic sounds a bit like what could be at play here with Captain Krakoa, doesn't it?
    He did gain about 40 pounds of muscle mass when he was Erik the Red (LOL) so maybe. But, infiltrating your own group seems kind of stupid.