Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is this site the #1 comic book message board?

I was noticing that there are tons of comic book message boards out there, but with few active members anyway. Not many people inhabit those, or so it seems.

Is this site the most popular one? Frankly, I guess so.

BANNED

It's the only one I'm familiar with. There's a comics subreddit, but it's comics as a whole and doesn't have a breakdown by company/hero/line/topic like CBR does. Also, I was drawn here to talk about comics but find I have little to say on comics themselves other than recommendations, the occasional opinion on current events (though I tend to just buy trades now, so woefully behind the "current" storylines") and the like so instead just come to Community/misc. because I enjoy talking about politics, football, or nonsense more than my favorite Batman run on a daily basis and choose to do so with a small enough community with some connecting factor (in this case, love of nerdy s##t in the form of comic books). Love me some comics, but hard to have continuous conversations about them.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

in my eyes

Amazing Member

I enjoy the longevity, of this site, so perhaps yes, it is the number one comic book forum

Extraordinary Member

Yep, I'd say it is. There are a couple of others, but this is by far the largest, highest post volume one still around AFAIK. Probably the oldest one still around too.

Speaking without a knowledge of what else is out there, I can say I am very satisfied with CBR. It has a wide variety of posters who both agree and disagree with me. The knowledge base present is extraordinary AND there's usually someone who gets even the most esoteric of my "jokes" and references.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I dont know if this is the number 1 site on the net but it is the number 1 site for me

I have talked about my mental health issues here before. This site has helped a great deal! I have met and talked to some amazing people! Everyone here has been very helpful and supportive! And I love talking some comics, NFL, and many other things

Thanks to everyone here for being so great!!!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I think it's the one that has been around the longest. There was another one that was run by Bendis called Jinxworld and it had subforums like this but I believe it closed down. Probably got to be a headache. John Byrne has his own forum still called Byrne Robotics. I haven't joined that one but you can browse it. I also go to Alvaro's comic book boards and I am a mod over there but it has lost a lot of traffic over the years.

This one has stayed pretty well moderated and you can hang out at many forums that cover many topics.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-21-2021 at 08:36 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Probably the oldest one still around too.
    Is rec.arts.comics still around? Heck, is Usenet itself still around?

Astonishing Member

Yes but I believe it's because forums aren't as popular as they used to be.

I have been hanging around here since the late 90's. I love this place. I have had some wonderful discussions and debates here for many years. I was much more active in the early 200's when I did not have a full time job and kids and a mortgage. I do pop on everyday to see what is going on and for some crazy reason I talk sports with some great people here.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

It's probably the only one that is still regularly active. I mean really active and not just one or two posters chiming in twice a month. The only other that came close was Wizard World and Comix Fan but both of those are kaput. I have to say, oddly, this is the only forum that is this active at all in any subject. The only one that could even surpass this was IMDB which sadly was shut down due to some Trump stuff. With thousands of members still active and posting and new people joining almost every day and so many guests. I still wonder how, where the whole forum thing basically bit the dust everywhere else, a comic forum is still booming. When everyone else moved on to the Facebooks and Tumblr's. I just find it fascinating.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 10-24-2021 at 08:43 PM.

Psshh, all these responses and no mention of the Hype! yet? Some of those folks are still here. Back in the mid 00's SHH! Forums was the bigger dog, like Coke and this place was Pepsi. Their forums had nearly identical content but this place was always more uhh, detailed, I guess. The major discussion boards I felt were more inside baseball vs. the Hype! was a little more casual but still there was a ton of diehards. Their numbers used to be really high pre-myspace days and when the MCU was getting off of the ground they did some crazy numbers of members and visitors. It did here too but less so.

There are always a ton of sub-forums at any board and if those places are the only place you go, you tend to think the behaviors of those contributors is a reflection on the board as a whole. This can be correct and incorrect at the same time, that said this place seemed to be the more, matureish place vs. the Hype! but of course then too this place got real immature and **** got reset. Hype! had those issues too but just banned mofos like it was going out of style for a time.

Forums too were always different than the front page. The front page here has clearly gotten closer to what the other place was doing back when with all the clicky stuff. Both of them prolly look a lot like the last days of Wizard magazine out front.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Incredible Member

Fans who are primarily interested in older comics (but not exclusively) might like http://classiccomics.org, which was created after the CBR forum reboot in 2014.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Psshh, all these responses and no mention of the Hype! yet? Some of those folks are still here. Back in the mid 00's SHH! Forums was the bigger dog, like Coke and this place was Pepsi. Their forums had nearly identical content but this place was always more uhh, detailed, I guess. The major discussion boards I felt were more inside baseball vs. the Hype! was a little more casual but still there was a ton of diehards. Their numbers used to be really high pre-myspace days and when the MCU was getting off of the ground they did some crazy numbers of members and visitors. It did here too but less so.

There are always a ton of sub-forums at any board and if those places are the only place you go, you tend to think the behaviors of those contributors is a reflection on the board as a whole. This can be correct and incorrect at the same time, that said this place seemed to be the more, matureish place vs. the Hype! but of course then too this place got real immature and **** got reset. Hype! had those issues too but just banned mofos like it was going out of style for a time.

Forums too were always different than the front page. The front page here has clearly gotten closer to what the other place was doing back when with all the clicky stuff. Both of them prolly look a lot like the last days of Wizard magazine out front.
    This place was more open, too, than SHH.

You might have seen more legitimate rumors come from SHH but the CBR community has always been the best.

Lots more niche forums here, too.

Marvel's Annihilation board (with creator camoes!) run by ED and the wrestling community here are/were my favorite aspects.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 10-25-2021 at 02:17 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium