Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

I hope this forum will live on, because you can't have a good discussion on Facebook or any social media site. Its just posting your opinion there and then gone. Thread will dissolve in no time and another one takes its place. Here there is a certain longevity thats very interesting to have.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post

Is this site the most popular one? Frankly, I guess so.
    Yes...FOR ME TO POOP ON!

TriumphTedCruz_header.jpg

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I hope this forum will live on, because you can't have a good discussion on Facebook or any social media site. Its just posting your opinion there and then gone. Thread will dissolve in no time and another one takes its place. Here there is a certain longevity thats very interesting to have.
    I agree with you about Facebook. Twitter is even worse and it's too bad that many comic pros are on it. I hate the character limit. It's very clunky to post something in multiple parts. We have our ongoing appreciation threads in the comics forums that have lasted for many years. The same can be said about the ongoing political discussions on the Community board. The thread gets so large they end up closing it down once a year and starting with a new name.

CBR's forums have had a few bumps over the years but it always bounces back. It's a shame that the front page has turned mostly into click bait and they constantly post new articles so that even if there was an interesting one it gets pushed off the page pretty quicky. The only columnist left from former site owner Jonah Weiland's days is Brian Cronin. His stuff is worth reading and his research is usually more accurate than the new writers. He does fun things like The Line is Drawn.

We still get Kurt Busiek posting on the Marvel Comics forums and he is pretty prompt at answering fans' questions. Walt Simonson posts every so often but he seems to have drifted over to Twitter.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Psshh, all these responses and no mention of the Hype! yet? Some of those folks are still here. Back in the mid 00's SHH! Forums was the bigger dog, like Coke and this place was Pepsi. Their forums had nearly identical content but this place was always more uhh, detailed, I guess. The major discussion boards I felt were more inside baseball vs. the Hype! was a little more casual but still there was a ton of diehards. Their numbers used to be really high pre-myspace days and when the MCU was getting off of the ground they did some crazy numbers of members and visitors. It did here too but less so.

There are always a ton of sub-forums at any board and if those places are the only place you go, you tend to think the behaviors of those contributors is a reflection on the board as a whole. This can be correct and incorrect at the same time, that said this place seemed to be the more, matureish place vs. the Hype! but of course then too this place got real immature and **** got reset. Hype! had those issues too but just banned mofos like it was going out of style for a time.

Forums too were always different than the front page. The front page here has clearly gotten closer to what the other place was doing back when with all the clicky stuff. Both of them prolly look a lot like the last days of Wizard magazine out front.
    I disagree.....I used to post at SHH and I don't think it had more posts than this forum had back in those days. And it's gone anyway so why even bring it up? I think this forum had more comic book pros posting. IIRC Gail Simone started here as a columnits and posted here in an ongoing discussion thread in the Community forum as I recall.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Yes but I believe it's because forums aren't as popular as they used to be.
    and it's a shame too. I feel message boards have more interesting conversations than other forms of social media.

I mean, what would even be the competition?

It's number one in how many topics it offers up for discussion.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    and it's a shame too. I feel message boards have more interesting conversations than other forms of social media.
    I absolutely agree with this. Such a pity they're a dying breed.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    There's a comics subreddit, but it's comics as a whole and doesn't have a breakdown by company/hero/line/topic like CBR does.
    Perhaps, but CBR could still stand to have more topics. Not that that takes anything away from it.