Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    New Mutants wasn't all that different, really.

Outside the MCU, comic book movies try to adapt the biggest story of their property, regardless of how well it would translate. We saw that with the DD movie, the first Suicide Squad, the first three X-Men movies and now with New Mutants.
    Umm.....The Demon Bear Story line wasn't the biggest story of the New Mutants property, it was the one where the New Mutants got kidnapped and taken to Asgard, during which Dani became a Valkyrie. That storyline still affects things concerning the various New Mutants in the comic to this day,all those years later after it was first written.

I liked the movie overall, but wish it had leaned way more into the horror aspects. I love super hero movies and I love horror movies so sign me up for a blend of those.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Absolutely not. It wasn't a masterpiece, but it was a visionary movie full of passion and atmosphere.
    The first 15 movies of that list are video hits. That's math, numbers. Nothing wrong with that. This movie was released during the pandemy, so we Fox fans are glad that it has been rediscovered on streaming and BD.
    Huh ? In what ways?
    Are we?
    Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Sorry you need to actually *READ* the New Mutants Comic Book rather than skim though some fannish web sites like the director,cast and others involved with the New Mutants Movie apparently did.

The Demon Bear Storyline in the New Mutants Comic has pretty much *NOTHING* in common with the garbage that showed up in the New Mutants movie other than a bear poping up and in this case doing a piss-poor job of mauling people despite the bald-faced lies that were made about it.
    Ooooh try not to kill 'em with the Truth!!
    GrindrStone(D)

Ultimate Member

Umm.....The Demon Bear Story line wasn't the biggest story of the New Mutants property, it was the one where the New Mutants got kidnapped and taken to Asgard, during which Dani became a Valkyrie. That storyline still affects things concerning the various New Mutants in the comic to this day,all those years later after it was first written.
    It was the series first big story, and directors ignored the 25 issues prior that were needed to make it work

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    It was the series first big story, and directors ignored the 25 issues prior that were needed to make it work
    Umm....wrong. As I remember,New Mutants Asgard story took place *BEFORE* the Demon Bear Story. Also the New Mutants Asgard story crossed/spun over into the X-Titles of the time, something the Demon Bear Storyline never really did.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 10-25-2021 at 08:01 PM.

You remember wrong. Demon Bear Saga started with issue 18, the Asgard story was in the 30s, just before Magneto became headmaster.

Extraordinary Member

Demon Bear was first and is the bigger deal as far as the New Mutants are concerned. It's the story that introduced the Sienkiewicz art and put the New Mutants on the map as something to pay attention to. Asgardian Wars made Dani a Valkarie and introduced Rahne's wolf-god love interest, but that's the total of its lasting impact on the New Mutants and it's as much an X-Men story as a New Mutants story. It's about Storm more than any other character.

Mighty Member

Yep, the Demon Bear story came first and is the most well known. The Asgard story is the most important for only two characters. And who really really thinks an Asgard New Mutant movie were they can't use Asgard, Valkryes and Thor would've worked better?

Still, the NM movie sucked. That was not Demon Bear. And it was also not a horror movie. Unless you're into G-rated Horror?

Those involved in the movie knew nothing about the characters so of course they were gonna cast the wrong actors.

Only loss in that movie is Magik was wasted. I hope Anya somehow returns for the MCU movies but that might be too late.

I do wish the FoxUniversee had lasted but how many movie were made and basically only 5 (X2, FC, DOFP, Logan and Deadpool) were good and two of those are solo movies so tech not X-Men team movies.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 10-26-2021 at 06:13 AM.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I hate that "well they tried something different" defense of things. Just because it's different does not make it automatically good. In fact if you are going to do something different with and established property you damn well better make sure you make it good. The New Mutants failed on both accounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    This was an awful movie.
    All of this!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Demon Bear was first and is the bigger deal as far as the New Mutants are concerned. It's the story that introduced the Sienkiewicz art and put the New Mutants on the map as something to pay attention to. Asgardian Wars made Dani a Valkarie and introduced Rahne's wolf-god love interest, but that's the total of its lasting impact on the New Mutants and it's as much an X-Men story as a New Mutants story. It's about Storm more than any other character.
    Yeah, The Demon Bear Story was such a big deal in the New Mutants that it basically went nowhere. It was *Abandoned* shortly after it appeared., people.

Other than the introduction of Warlock and issue 18, the Sienkiewicz art basically sucked.

Sorry you need to actually *READ* the New Mutants Comic Book rather than skim though some fannish web sites like the director,cast and others involved with the New Mutants Movie apparently did.

The Demon Bear Storyline in the New Mutants Comic has pretty much *NOTHING* in common with the garbage that showed up in the New Mutants movie other than a bear poping up and in this case doing a piss-poor job of mauling people despite the bald-faced lies that were made about it.
    I look at the New Mutants film the same way I look at X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It was an average film, at best, that should've been a lot better. The positive side is each of the two films gave us perfect casting of a particular character.....Anya Taylor-Joy as Magik (As long as you ignore the racist barbs toward Dani) and Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool (We saw a glimpse of that in the beginning, before the whole Agent X crap or whatever you want to call it). That said, I also loved Liev Schreiber as Sabretooth. Further showed Schreiber has range, as I didn't remember seeing him take a role like that before, and he was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow;[URL="tel:5793587"
    5793587[/URL]]I look at the New Mutants film the same way I look at X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It was an average film, at best, that should've been a lot better. The positive side is each of the two films gave us perfect casting of a particular character.....Anya Taylor-Joy as Magik (As long as you ignore the racist barbs toward Dani) and Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool (We saw a glimpse of that in the beginning, before the whole Agent X crap or whatever you want to call it). That said, I also loved Liev Schreiber as Sabretooth. Further showed Schreiber has range, as I didn't remember seeing him take a role like that before, and he was great.
    Well he was accused of murdering Sydney's Mom
    GrindrStone(D)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I look at the New Mutants film the same way I look at X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It was an average film, at best, that should've been a lot better. The positive side is each of the two films gave us perfect casting of a particular character.....Anya Taylor-Joy as Magik (As long as you ignore the racist barbs toward Dani) and Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool (We saw a glimpse of that in the beginning, before the whole Agent X crap or whatever you want to call it). That said, I also loved Liev Schreiber as Sabretooth. Further showed Schreiber has range, as I didn't remember seeing him take a role like that before, and he was great.
    Sorry what we saw portrayed in the New Mutants was in no fashion examples of perfect casting of a particular character. What we had here was a Blond Bimbo portraying a Blond Bimbo.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 11-06-2021 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Well he was accused of murdering Sydney's Mom
    But he wanted to make peace with Sydney on live tv to rehabilitate his image. Victor could never.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Nothing is set in stone in that movies continuity. Colossus in those films had never had a sister, yet here pops up Magik. Even if they did want to stick to "established continuity" (which again does not exist in those movies and wouldn't make sense here simply based on the ages and timelines being wonky), why did they also whitewash Reyes?
    Fox wasn’t good on diversity. I mean the X-Men movies were too old white man dominated anyway.