Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I feel the same way but I have been reticent to share my opinion. I actually loved this movie. I loved Dark Phoenix, too, which I see as a sort of "What If...?" story, i.e., "What If the Phoenix Force Destroyed D'Bari Before Bonding with Jean Grey?" I also find both effortlessly rewatchable.

I own both films on blu ray.
    Noice Braj!!
    GrindrStone(D)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I feel the same way but I have been reticent to share my opinion. I actually loved this movie. I loved Dark Phoenix, too, which I see as a sort of "What If...?" story, i.e., "What If the Phoenix Force Destroyed D'Bari Before Bonding with Jean Grey?" I also find both effortlessly rewatchable.

I own both films on blu ray.
    I held back for much the same reasons as you. I really didn't want my watching experience to be tainted by outside opinions beforehand. So I openly shunned reviews and spoiler threads before I saw it.

There are also elements of it people talk about I completely disagree with. Like the gay relationship between Dani and Rahne. I just didn't see any indication of it. I saw nothing explicit about it actually laid out in the movie. They were friends. Good friends. But anything else beyond that? No. I just don't see it.

But this also may be tainted by my prior knowledge of the characters. Rahne in the comics at that time was a very meek, very conservative girl at that point in her development. I was taking her innocence and obliviousness into account. She just wasn't aware enough at that time to really understand how some of her actions looked to an outside observer.

Again. I give this movie a lot of slack because I spent most of the New Mutants run with them and quite enjoying the nuances of their intended personalities.By and large, these are the same characters I grew to love in the original comics.
    Last edited by Darrin Kelley; 11-11-2021 at 06:14 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Kelley View Post
    I held back for much the same reasons as you. I really didn't want my watching experience to be tainted by outside opinions beforehand. So I openly shunned reviews and spoiler threads before I saw it.

There are also elements of it people talk about I completely disagree with. Like the gay relationship between Dani and Rahne. I just didn't see any indication of it. I saw nothing explicit about it actually laid out in the movie. They were friends. Good friends. But anything else beyond that? No. I just don't see it.

But this also may be tainted by my prior knowledge of the characters. Rahne in the comics at that time was a very meek, very conservative girl at that point in her development. I was taking her innocence and obliviousness into account. She just wasn't aware enough at that time to really understand how some of her actions looked to an outside observer.

Again. I give this movie a lot of slack because I spent most of the New Mutants run with them and quite enjoying the nuances of their intended personalities.By and large, these are the same characters I grew to love in the original comics.

Suuuure,they are the same characters. That's why this sorry excuse of a movie bombed. People other than you and those who agree with you saw this garbage called a movie and asked, "Who the hell are these people?" including seemingly some of the creators of the comic book.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Kelley View Post
    I
    I had the exact opposite reaction. I remember sitting in the theater and thinking about how the studio would never go and make an explicit same sex couple with their leads when if one were male they'd get together with the same set up. Then it happened and I was so stunned and then excited. I can't remember ever being so pleasantly surprised by a film.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WinterCoyote View Post
    I had the exact opposite reaction. I remember sitting in the theater and thinking about how the studio would never go and make an explicit same sex couple with their leads when if one were male they'd get together with the same set up. Then it happened and I was so stunned and then excited. I can't remember ever being so pleasantly surprised by a film.
    Remember. It was a Fox production. You have to take that into account.

Fox is the last company I would have trusted with overt minority representation.

BANNED

Opinions, opinions, opinions.

The movie is great. Go beyond the insane Fox hate you developed, it's useless.

Enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant 77 View Post

Enjoy the ride.
    Just bc someone hates the movie doesnt mean they hate Fox

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Just bc someone hates the movie doesnt mean they hate Fox
    Well, sometimes it seems a "trend". The movies are 100% fantastic. Leave them alone. MCU is gonna reboot soon, let's see what they'll do.

Well, sometimes it seems a "trend". The movies are 100% fantastic. Leave them alone. MCU is gonna reboot soon, let's see what they'll do.
    It doesn't sound like its going happen very soon. To say the least.

Enjoy the ride.
    “Great?” That’s a strong word.

Not as bad as I thought it would be. Not bad in comparison to a lot of the X-Men movies. That’s as far as I would go with it.