Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member John Venus's Avatar

Organic wings make them more alien like but artificial wings are more practical. Though I guess you can do a commentary on on Thanagarian architecture and society is built for humanoid winged people while earth is inconvenient for them because our buildings, doors and chairs aren't built with winged people in mind.

At this stage, I would accept a combination of the two. The wings are artificial but they are connected to the Thanagarians nervous system so it hurts if you try to break them and some Thanagarians are genetically engineered to be born with wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    …unlike how the 60's dealt with Angel's wings, hiding under suits wouldn't work. That's why I prefer artificial wings. Hawkman's last series handled really well.
    I loved the retractable wing harness!
    I saw that and thought “how has no one ever done that before”?

I like them with actual wings because it makes them seem more alien. There are already too many alien races who look identical to humans. I do like the metal wings that the warriors wear but they could just be armored coverings of their actual wings.

Hawkman and Hawkgirl need civilian identities so they can't have giant wings all the time. they could either have the wing harnesses or have them extend from their body with Nth metal "magic".

Standing Member

It's the organic wings that conveniently happen to go away when needed that's pushing it too far. There's a lot of that biology in comics that seems unlikely in reality. I'd rather have bird people that are birdlike, i.e. Tomar-Re.
    it's a lovely day
    virtue is its own reward

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

They are aliens. Give them real wings otherwise they look just like humans.

Artificial wings that look real are my preference.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    Artificial Nth metal wings. No contest IMO. I love that in Hawkworld the wings were not only a tool but built in to their culture. Hawkworld remains the best take on Hawkman and Hawkwoman.
    This is the correct answer, but I prefer that they also look as if they're real. The metallic wings never do it for me. Feathered all the way.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Astonishing Member

I also wanted to ask you guys who prefer artificial wings how you like the wings to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I also wanted to ask you guys who prefer artificial wings how you like the wings to look.
    For me, grey and feathery, despite being artificial…

…also, I like for Hawkman to have some chest hair going on.

Definitely NOT a fan of this wing design.

Spectacular Member

Maybe it's just cuz I grew up reading pre-COIE DC, but I prefer artificial wings that look feathery...real wings are Dawnstar's schtick

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Maybe it's just cuz I grew up reading pre-COIE DC, but I prefer artificial wings that look feathery...real wings are Dawnstar's schtick
    Dawnstar is like 1000 years in the future. I think having 2 races with wings when we have a billion humanoids isnt going to make her less special.

Real Wings easily! I grew up with that with the JLU and I think artificial ones are a lame concept that should have stayed in the 40’s an 50’s

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Real Wings easily! I grew up with that with the JLU and I think artificial ones are a lame concept that should have stayed in the 40’s an 50’s
    Agreed. It's blatantly obvious that Shayera's wings are real since.... her costume doesn't cover that part of her back.

Now the JLU Hawkman? He uses fake wings.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Fake but feathery.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I prefer the wings as tools, not actual appendages.

The only time I recall Hawkman having real wings was post-Zero Hour, when he merged with the Native American Hawk-god entity. Were there other in-continuity versions that sported real wings?
    I really liked that version of Hawkman, too bad it lasted so briefly, with them making him crazy and such. I especially liked the natural wings that he could absorb into hs body at will, making it easier to have a secret identity and all. For the OP's question. for Hawkman and Hawkwoman, I'd prefer natural wings, in the mold of the post-Zero Hour Hawkman, or made of Nth Metal (which also could be absorbed into their bodies). For the rest of the Thanagarians, artificial wings. I don't like heroes that have a whole race of people that can do what they do. I prefer them to be unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    Artificial Nth metal wings. No contest IMO. I love that in Hawkworld the wings were not only a tool but built in to their culture. Hawkworld remains the best take on Hawkman and Hawkwoman.
    I agree. It was excellent. A whole lot of world building there. A lost art to most writers nowadays. I have to say I'm a bigger fan of John Ostrander's OG series than of the Timothy Truman mini (although it's great and the stepping stones for what came on later). The only negative point I can think of was setting it in the current time of the DCU, negating all the previous Post-COIE Hawkman continuity and making a mess out of things. It was a great story, though, especially in terms of character work. DC really should collect it.

Peace