Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 165
  1. #31
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    17,351

    Default

    Somehow a live round was accidently loaded into the gun.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=uxbndlbing


    Another rumor I heard was that some of the crew (?) supposedly walked off the shoot a couple days prior due to it being a low budget production and so many corners being cut.

  2. #32
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,715

    Default

    Why were there any live rounds in the vicinity to be accidentally loaded?

    Someone on that crew is going to jail for (probably) criminally negligent homicide.

  3. #33
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,508

    Default

    Yeah they should have done an all stop safety check. Especially if they had some type of walkout strike of normal personnel and had people "covering" in jobs to continue filming.

  4. #34
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    17,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Yeah they should have done an all stop safety check. Especially if they had some type of walkout strike of normal personnel and had people "covering" in jobs to continue filming.
    That's probably how/why it happened...the professionals who knew what they were doing weren't there. Whoever replaced them, if anyone, skipped protocol...

  5. #35
    Extraordinary Member Deathstroke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,779

    Default

    One domino has fallen already. The ABC police drama The Rookie has banned any "live" weapons from their set effective immediately.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

    Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

    "I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

  6. #36
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    This hasn't happened on a set since 1993, according to what I read. Its a tragedy, but really really rare. I don't see it needing widespread changes if it was just a super-rare freak accident, like it seems. We'll see I guess.

    I don't know if people handling guns on set have to do gun training or not, but I have done gun training. The very, very first thing you ever learn is to treat all guns as if they were loaded. As in, never point it at anyone, etc. even when moving it around or just walking around with it. Never ever. Even if you "know" its not loaded.
    Not American related, but a stunt man was killed here in Australia a few years ago during filming for Bliss N Eso's (hip hop group) music video. In that case a prop shot gun with blanks misfired and it killed the stunt man (who was shot).

  7. #37
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,168

    Default

    The production company will face criminal prosecution for (If proven) not providing sufficient safety measures on set. A civil suit could also occur from the victims family. But the weapons master/firearms handler is in big shit.

    Baldwin, himself, won't be charged. It will be ruled an accident.

  8. #38
    Incredible Member Zauriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Terrible tragedy.


    RIP, Halyna Hutchins. Condolences to the injured person and to the cinematographer's family.

  9. #39
    Invincible Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Somehow a live round was accidently loaded into the gun.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=uxbndlbing


    Another rumor I heard was that some of the crew (?) supposedly walked off the shoot a couple days prior due to it being a low budget production and so many corners being cut.
    Heard on local news radio that in addition to these things, there might have been a couple of instances of something like this taking place before that accident.

    As sad as this already was, this feels like there might wind up being even more to it.

  10. #40
    Mighty Member C_Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I don't know if people handling guns on set have to do gun training or not, but I have done gun training. The very, very first thing you ever learn is to treat all guns as if they were loaded. As in, never point it at anyone, etc. even when moving it around or just walking around with it. Never ever. Even if you "know" its not loaded.
    Unfortunately, thatís hard to do when the reason you have a gun on set is to point it at people. The movie was a western. The gun was going to be pointed at people. Thatís just part of the nature of things.

  11. #41
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Unfortunately, that’s hard to do when the reason you have a gun on set is to point it at people. The movie was a western. The gun was going to be pointed at people. That’s just part of the nature of things.
    Well, yah, but the two injured people weren't actors. Maybe it was a rehearsal and the director was showing Baldwin, dunno.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  12. #42
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    17,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well, yah, but the two injured people weren't actors. Maybe it was a rehearsal and the director was showing Baldwin, dunno.
    So far, that's what it looks like it could have been...


  13. #43
    Fantastic Member Indian Ink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    426

    Default

    The blanks could probably be made safer. They don't need to be as loud as the real live rounds. I imagine the sound recording of them is volume controlled anyway. The problem is they'd have to be double chambered with the reduced powder charge because they still have to fit the standard gun. The blanks would then be much more expensive, and still despite this, not absolutely safe. With safer blanks, they'd probably have many just taking more risks.

  14. #44
    Fantastic Member Indian Ink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Unfortunately, that’s hard to do when the reason you have a gun on set is to point it at people. The movie was a western. The gun was going to be pointed at people. That’s just part of the nature of things.
    Standard practice is to shoot/aim just off line. (A problem with 3D films because this becomes more obvious to the viewers, but then I don't think this was shot in 3D, so....)

  15. #45
    Extraordinary Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    5,667

    Default

    Here is a clip from NBC News tonight. They talk about the Armorer for the movie being new to the role. Said her dad taught her a lot but had to figure some things out and was still learning and loading blanks was the scariest part. The part about her and her words are about 1 minute in. Pretty crazy.

    https://www.nbc.com/nbc-nightly-news...-set/450373592
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •