Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Are you referring to using CGI? Because then a bunch of film geniuses on the internet would complain about how fake it looks.
    To be fair it looks mega-fake - they put very little effort into making it look right. Maybe it would be a good point to reflect on why American cinema fetishises gun violence to the point that gun violence actually ends up accidentally happening on set, but I won't hold my breathe.

BANNED

I doubt Baldwin did this with any malicious intent, despite his famous hot temper. What a tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Where they filming or was Baldwin playing around with the gun?

Because I haven't seen which.

If the former this needs to be investigated and the person who failed in setting up that gun needs to be fired and Charged.

If the latter than Baldwin needs to be charged with Involuntary Manslaughter. Jon-Erik Hexum and Brandon Lee died due to prop guns and everyone knows not to play with them so there is no excuse IMO.
    I heard they were going over a scene, like talking about how it would play out or something. Dont know how true this is because there is still so much unknown and rumors. One wild rumor is that is is revenge by a Trumper to ruin Baldwiin's life for playing Trump so many times on SNL.

I really hate that this happened. A tragic mistake that could have and should have been avoided and now a person is dead and another badly hurt.
    Last edited by babyblob; 10-22-2021 at 07:10 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    If the latter than Baldwin needs to be charged with Involuntary Manslaughter. Jon-Erik Hexum and Brandon Lee died due to prop guns and everyone knows not to play with them so there is no excuse IMO.
    No he doesn't. He has the right to assume that the crew will succeed at the minimal task of making sure a gun intended to be fired at people is fake and not real. Everyone on a film set basically puts their lives in the hands of the competence of the crew. There are a million ways to die on a film set.

We will doubtless see some VERY serious regulations being put into place for weapons on film sets. Prop guns should not be capable of firing at all... they should be rigged to simulate a recoil when the trigger is pulled, but the sound and visuals of the gunshot should have to be SFX. And there should have to be a safety officer on every set whose sole job is to inspect all props, before every scene, that will interact with human beings.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Even with a blank, the gunpowder (which does have a lower yield than a regular round) is still packed with material that discharges from the barrel.

Are you referring to using CGI? Because then a bunch of film geniuses on the internet would complain about how fake it looks.
    I don't care one wit about that, it should be standard practice now and it should have been done a long time ago as this isn't the first time its happened. It's the same with explosions, how many actors, stunt people and crew members have been hurt or killed because the director wants a realistic boom? It's nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    No he doesn't. He has the right to assume that the crew will succeed at the minimal task of making sure a gun intended to be fired at people is fake and not real. Everyone on a film set basically puts their lives in the hands of the competence of the crew. There are a million ways to die on a film set.

We will doubtless see some VERY serious regulations being put into place for weapons on film sets. Prop guns should not be capable of firing at all... they should be rigged to simulate a recoil when the trigger is pulled, but the sound and visuals of the gunshot should have to be SFX. And there should have to be a safety officer on every set whose sole job is to inspect all props, before every scene, that will interact with human beings.
    I wished I believed we'd get serious oversight and safety regulations but I feel like this is going to be just another sad foot note.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Such a tragedy...I feel so terrible for everyone involved.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I wished I believed we'd get serious oversight and safety regulations but I feel like this is going to be just another sad foot note.
    IATSE, the DGA and SAG-AFTRA may see that it's not... considering they all had many members harmed and endangered in this incident.

Incredible Member

Unless Baldwin was screwing around and fired the gun at somebody next to him at craft services, it's not his fault. Even then, that would be also be major failing of the prop master and/or armorer to let an actor walk around with any kind of functional gun. Alec should only have it if they're rehearsing or filming. As it's the DP that got hit, they likely were rehearsing.

As I recall, in the Brandon Lee case, there was a dummy (no power charge) round lodged in the barrel, left there after a close-up of it being loaded. When it was later loaded with blanks, which are just the power charge and no projectile, the bullet got expelled similar to a live round.
    Any debris in the barrel, and the packing material itself could also big lethal if you're close enough. CGI muzzle flash often is used for closeup shooting like in John Wick, for that very reason, plus the noise being damaging near someone's ears.

It's stunning that something Iike that could happen again, as this surely isn't some people who don't know what they're doing filming in their backyard.
    Last edited by Jared; 10-22-2021 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    There will be changes and oversight.... As long as it doesnt cost to much, or hold up filming a scene too long. So yea I doubt anything will happen.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    There will be changes and oversight.... As long as it doesnt cost to much, or hold up filming a scene too long. So yea I doubt anything will happen.
    I predict we will see otherwise.

There is going to be a BIG stink about this.

This hasn't happened on a set since 1993, according to what I read. Its a tragedy, but really really rare. I don't see it needing widespread changes if it was just a super-rare freak accident, like it seems. We'll see I guess.

I don't know if people handling guns on set have to do gun training or not, but I have done gun training. The very, very first thing you ever learn is to treat all guns as if they were loaded. As in, never point it at anyone, etc. even when moving it around or just walking around with it. Never ever. Even if you "know" its not loaded.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 10-22-2021 at 09:54 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

And now we understand why the crew members' union was so worked up about safety on sets.
    Batwoman set needs to be investigated by the feds. What a dangerous disaster that set has been.

Saw a statement by an expert who said that the prop guns they use can be dangerous as much as 50 feet away if they're pointed directly at someone.

That's much too dangerous for a prop gun.

Extraordinary Member

Thanks to those who have mentioned Jon-Erik Hexum. I've seen several stories where they talk about past similar tragedies and none have mentioned him.

Such a beautiful man that we lost way too soon due to an unfortunate incident.

I don't care for Baldwin but my heart goes out to him because of this. And especially to the family and loved ones of the victims.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I predict we will see otherwise.

There is going to be a BIG stink about this.
    Yeah, they'll be thoughts and prayers and it'll go away. It's not like this is the first time its happened, and it doesn't matter that it's rare...it's something that shouldn't happen period scott taylor.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!