Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Alec Baldwin Fires Prop Gun on Set, Killing Cinematographer

Alec Baldwin cocked and fired a gun meant to be loaded with blanks on the set of a Western movie in Santa Fe on Thursday, hitting the film’s director and cinematographer.

Halyna Hutchins, 42, was airlifted from the set of Rust, which began filming at Bonanza Creek Ranch this month, mid-afternoon to the University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque, where she succumbed to her injuries.

Baldwin also hit the film’s director, Joel Souza, 48, according to the Santa Fe County sheriff. Souza remains in intensive care. The sheriff said in a statement the two were shot when a prop firearm was discharged by Alec Baldwin, 68, producer and actor. Baldwin reportedly did not know the prop contained live rounds.
    Wow, so sad.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 10-21-2021 at 08:31 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Why on earth would there even be a real gun on set?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Why on earth would there even be a real gun on set?
    To my knowledge, prop guns are real guns that have been modified to make them safe for filming. But even then, they are still dangerous. Just look at Brandon Lee.

That being said, with one person dead and another injured, it sounds like something went catastrophically wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    To my knowledge, prop guns are real guns that have been modified to make them safe for filming. But even then, they are still dangerous. Just look at Brandon Lee.

That being said, with one person dead and another injured, it sounds like something went catastrophically wrong.
    Why would there be live rounds(which seems to be the case in the article...) in a prop gun?

At least a couple of things here seem pretty odd.

Astonishing Member

Hearing the news made me go back to Brandon Lee getting killed on The Crow (1994). What Brandon, the Lee family and poor Michael Massee went through.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Why would there be live rounds(which seems to be the case in the article...) in a prop gun?

The DOP and Director getting shot raised my eyebrow. Messed up rehearsal? In the line of fire inadvertently when the scene was filmed?

That's the odd part...

While I can see an article that was put together in a hurry potentially being murky when it comes to that?

It seems like the statement that the sheriff made said "Prop..." very clearly.

If it was actually a prop...

- Why would it be loaded with live rounds?

- Why would it actually be able to fire one of those live rounds?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

Don't think they were live. Pretty sure it was blanks (Or assumed blanks. Maybe Dummy rounds were involved too). This is just a repeat of the Brandon Lee situation. Bet the cinematographer and the director were framing a shot with Baldwin. He pointed the gun, assuming it wasn't loaded or anything (under the impression it was loaded with blanks) and he pulled the trigger thinking it was safe.

Someone messed up here.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 10-22-2021 at 05:20 AM.

I'm not going to conjecture at this point, as I'm sure more details will come to light but I will say that even if there were blanks, I don't think an actor would be asked to discharge one with someone (and the camera) in the line of fire. He would have had to cheat the angle to not point it directly at another person, as blanks are still dangerous (John Erik-Hexum was killed with a blank, as opposed to Brandon Lee who was killed when a bullet that was accidentally left in a gun)
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-22-2021 at 11:52 AM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

And now we understand why the crew members' union was so worked up about safety on sets.

When a prop gun fires a blank, there is still an explosive expulsion from the barrel. Without a bullet, it is just gas and smoke. But if any material is in the barrel, that too is shot out.
    If this was a single shot fired by Baldwin, it looks like there was material in the barrel. Someone in the props department fucked up. And the Director, Baldwin and the victim's family now have to live with it.
    A true tragedy.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    When a prop gun fires a blank, there is still an explosive expulsion from the barrel. Without a bullet, it is just gas and smoke. But if any material is in the barrel, that too is shot out.
    If this was a single shot fired by Baldwin, it looks like there was material in the barrel. Someone in the props department fucked up. And the Director, Baldwin and the victim's family now have to live with it.
    A true tragedy.
    Most like the armorer/prop master screwed up badly here.

Where they filming or was Baldwin playing around with the gun?

Because I haven't seen which.

If the former this needs to be investigated and the person who failed in setting up that gun needs to be fired and Charged.

If the latter than Baldwin needs to be charged with Involuntary Manslaughter. Jon-Erik Hexum and Brandon Lee died due to prop guns and everyone knows not to play with them so there is no excuse IMO.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 10-22-2021 at 05:54 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

In this day and age why do we even need prop guns that are actually capable of firing anything?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    A true tragedy.
    Even with a blank, the gunpowder (which does have a lower yield than a regular round) is still packed with material that discharges from the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    In this day and age why do we even need prop guns that are actually capable of firing anything?
    Are you referring to using CGI? Because then a bunch of film geniuses on the internet would complain about how fake it looks.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 10-22-2021 at 06:18 AM.