Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    What if it was loaded with blanks how would they show that to an actor before hand? What would be the process of showing the actor that the weapon only had blanks in it?
    The person giving the gun will say "cold gun" which is exactly what assistant director said before handing over gun to Baldwin. The thing is he simply took a gun from Armorer's table without confirming with her if the gun was safe

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    The person giving the gun will say "cold gun" which is exactly what assistant director said before handing over gun to Baldwin. The thing is he simply took a gun from Armorer's table without confirming with her if the gun was safe
    You’re probably missing some facts. Did you watch the video I posted?

Edit: upon further review, the quoted post is a bit confusing. Was he handed a gun that was declared “cold gun”, or did he take a gun from the armorer’s table? Seems to be conflicting statements or just poor wording. Clarification requested.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 11-07-2021 at 08:40 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    That's not what we've been told happened though. By all accounts he was handed the gun.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That's not what we've been told happened though. By all accounts he was handed the gun.
    Sounds like there's been somewhat conflicting information on what happened. Guess the investigation will have to clear that up.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Sounds like there's been somewhat conflicting information on what happened. Guess the investigation will have to clear that up.
    I haven't seen a single news piece that says Baldwin picked up a gun himself...every account says he was handed the gun. Sources vary on who handed the gun to him, but none say he picked it up himself.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I haven't seen a single news piece that says Baldwin picked up a gun himself...every account says he was handed the gun. Sources vary on who handed the gun to him, but none say he picked it up himself.
    Okay.

10char
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

What if it was loaded with blanks how would they show that to an actor before hand? What would be the process of showing the actor that the weapon only had blanks in it?
    That's not relevant in this case, since a "cold gun" shouldn't even have blanks in them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    That's not relevant in this case, since a "cold gun" shouldn't even have blanks in them.

Does cold gun mean that? And do we really know that was said? I mean all we know is what some people are saying was said. Its all speculation.

Does cold gun mean that? And do we really know that was said? I mean all we know is what some people are saying was said. Its all speculation.
    "Cold Gun" means a gun without ammunition. That is how the term is used in movies and TVs.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    "Cold Gun" means a gun without ammunition. That is how the term is used in movies and TVs.
    Personally I don't know how things are done on these sets. But people keep saying actors check and clear guns on sets. I honestly find that hard to believe. I have been around weapons my whole life, being in the military and a cop. I find it hard to comprehend that tv and movie actors check and clear guns in the middle of sets. That is not a safe area to do anything like that.

Personally I don't know how things are done on these sets. But people keep saying actors check and clear guns on sets. I honestly find that hard to believe. I have been around weapons my whole life, being in the military and a cop. I find it hard to comprehend that tv and movie actors check and clear guns in the middle of sets. That is not a safe area to do anything like that.
    Here's what's SUPPOSED to happen. The guns should be checked and cold in storage. The gun is checked before handing it to the actor. The actor takes the gun points it down and checks it. The persons to which will have gun pointed at are either shown it to be empty or they are handed the gun directly, point it down again and also check it immediately. Even if they've just seen the actor do it.

Granted there is a degree of risk, but far less than taking it as read that someone else has done their job and then pointing and pulling the trigger at the camera.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    Here's what's SUPPOSED to happen. The guns should be checked and cold in storage. The gun is checked before handing it to the actor. The actor takes the gun points it down and checks it. The persons to which will have gun pointed at are either shown it to be empty or they are handed the gun directly, point it down again and also check it immediately. Even if they've just seen the actor do it.

Granted there is a degree of risk, but far less than taking it as read that someone else has done their job and then pointing and pulling the trigger at the camera.

To me what should be done is the weapons should be brought in unloaded, if its a revolver they should have the cylinder open, if its a semi auto they should have the magazine out, and the slide back so everyone can see no round is in the gun. Then if its a dry shoot the gun should be closed and handed to the actor, if its blanks, they should be loaded into the weapon in front of the actor, with a safety officer standing by observing. There isn't any reason to be bringing these weapons onto sets closed up. That is literally just asking for something going wrong. Not just an actor of course shooting someone, but ADs in general. If you are moving these things they need to be unloaded, open and cleared. Even more so with these old Wild West guns. Have the cylinder out and open lay it on the table. When a scene needs to be shot, close the gun and hand it to the actor. This seems like common sense.

To me what should be done is the weapons should be brought in unloaded, if its a revolver they should have the cylinder open, if its a semi auto they should have the magazine out, and the slide back so everyone can see no round is in the gun. Then if its a dry shoot the gun should be closed and handed to the actor, if its blanks, they should be loaded into the weapon in front of the actor, with a safety officer standing by observing. There isn't any reason to be bringing these weapons onto sets closed up. That is literally just asking for something going wrong. Not just an actor of course shooting someone, but ADs in general. If you are moving these things they need to be unloaded, open and cleared. Even more so with these old Wild West guns. Have the cylinder out and open lay it on the table. When a scene needs to be shot, close the gun and hand it to the actor. This seems like common sense.
    Probably what should be done. As it stands you have a succession of people who are supposed to do the right thing, but are clearly often just trusting the one before them. One of the actresses said "She wouldn't know how to check a gun." Well they're supposed to be shown and trained so they can do so. A problem arises though that you can't trust all people to do all things. A percentage of actors will never be functional in checking a gun. They may ape the actions just displayed to them, but five minutes later if a friend asks them. "Goodness No, I don't know what I just did. I just acted as if I understood."

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I'm about 90% sure that what happened is some crew member had the gun out target shooting with live ammo, came back to work (possibly stoned and/or drunk) and dropped the gun back in the rack without emptying it. And nobody thought to re-check the guns before it was handed to Baldwin.

Again, the best policy is to never allow real guns on a movie set at all. But if you do, everyone who touches it needs to consider it a doomsday device that will destroy the entire world if a single mistake is made. Because as far as they're concerned, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    You’re probably missing some facts. Did you watch the video I posted?

Edit: upon further review, the quoted post is a bit confusing. Was he handed a gun that was declared “cold gun”, or did he take a gun from the armorer’s table? Seems to be conflicting statements or just poor wording. Clarification requested.
    It sounds like he is saying that the AD just took the gun without verifying it was safe, handed it over and called it a cold gun.
    Dark does not mean deep.