Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Default Aquaman (DCEU) versus Sanji Vinsmoke (One Piece)

Felt like making a Rumble for Aquaman so have been noodling of who would be a good match.

As current Sanji is obviously way too strong and fast, this is Sanji circa a couple of instances.

1) End of the Arlong Park arc Sanji.

2) End of the Alabasta arc Sanji.

Fights take place in the town in Sicily where Aquaman fought Black Manta in the film.

Which sea-going fellow takes the win?

Is this version of Aquaman actually stronger under water, or is it just that he can move much more freely?

If he keeps his strength on land, he beats Arlong Park-Sanji with low difficulty. Aqua's a lot more durable, stronger and hits at least as hard or harder, not even counting the trident. Sanji by this point didn't have many speed feats--he's likely faster, but not by so much that it overcomes the other differences. He'll be hard to hit, but Aqua can tank his kicks easily enough until he finds an opening.

I don't recall how much more powerful Sanji may have gotten by the end of Alabasta. I know he hits a lot harder and takes a bit more damage. If that's all, I don't know if it's enough.
    Last edited by Morning; 10-22-2021 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning View Post
    Is this version of Aquaman actually stronger under water, or is it just that he can move much more freely?

If he keeps his strength on land, he beats Arlong Park-Sanji with low difficulty. Aqua's a lot more durable, stronger and hits at least as hard or harder, not even counting the trident. Sanji by this point didn't have many speed feats--he's likely faster, but not by so much that it overcomes the other differences. He'll be hard to hit, but Aqua can tank his kicks easily enough until he finds an opening.

I don't recall how much more powerful Sanji may have gotten by the end of Alabasta. I know he hits a lot harder and takes a bit more damage. If that's all, I don't know if it's enough.
    I think the biggest strength feat he got in Alabasta was the Bananadile kick:

While we saw him hurt giant monsters with his hits in the Arlong Park era [Moo Moo] it didn't do much more than superficial damage. Here he KOs the giant monster in one shot.

Also even back in the Arlong Park arc, Sanji did kick Kuroobi through the ground floor of Arlong Park. While Arthur is tough as heck, he doesn't want to get hit more than he needs to as those will hurt him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I think the biggest strength feat he got in Alabasta was the Bananadile kick:
    While we saw him hurt giant monsters with his hits in the Arlong Park era [Moo Moo] it didn't do much more than superficial damage. Here he KOs the giant monster in one shot.
    That's a big upgrade. Alabasta Sanji would be a good fight. Aquaman was taking energized axe hits from Steppenwolf and only momentarily fazed. Ditto from Black Manta's eye beams, which were also pretty impressive. Getting hit long distances and through solid stone is pretty standard for the kind of stuff he absolutely shrugs off. So he has a lot of durability against Sanji's kicks, while Sanji has none against a trident to the chest.

Still, Sanji has speed and skill. He might get in enough hits. I could see it going either way, but still give Arthur the edge for being so tanky.
    Last edited by Morning; 10-24-2021 at 10:36 AM.

That's a big upgrade. Alabasta Sanji would be a good fight. Aquaman was taking energized axe hits from Steppenwolf and only momentarily fazed. Ditto from Black Manta's eye beams, which were also pretty impressive. Getting hit long distances and through solid stone is pretty standard for the kind of stuff he absolutely shrugs off. So he has a lot of durability against Sanji's kicks, while Sanji has none against a trident to the chest.

Still, Sanji has speed and skill. He might get in enough hits. I could see it going either way, but still give Arthur the edge for being so tanky.
    I don't see much to disagree with there to be honest.

On the trident note, Sanji did take several hits from Mr 2 Bon Clay's Swan Arabesque shoes that were punching perfect holes in solid stone and he stayed up, won the fight and proceeded to run around the rest of the day doing stuff. So, he's got a decent showing against penetrating damage so the trident might not be the immediate fight stopper.

I don't recall any feats of the tridents being magically super piercing offhand. Ocean Master tearing open the side of submarine perhaps?

It's a surprisingly close match though, good job me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    On the trident note, Sanji did take several hits from Mr 2 Bon Clay's Swan Arabesque shoes that were punching perfect holes in solid stone and he stayed up, won the fight and proceeded to run around the rest of the day doing stuff.

This is an interesting point. Still, those Swan kicks did manage to pierce him. It stands to reason that if they had done so in a vital organ (instead of, I think, his shoulder) he could be killed outright.

I don't recall any feats of the tridents being magically super piercing offhand.

It's a surprisingly close match though, good job me.
    In the Whedon cut, the trident went through Steppenwolf's armor, wounding him. In the snyder cut, he completely impaled him, though his armor was notably torn off already. It cuts through rock like it's barely there. It's worth noting that Aquaman is resistant to cutting and piercing, no selling a human sword thrust, but atlantean tridents are still treated like lethal threats.

But yeah, it is impressive that you found such a close fight. Especially since Zoro and Luffy at that time are presented in the narrative as being around Sanji's level, but actually have much better speed feats already that would have made this uncompetitive.
    Last edited by Morning; 10-26-2021 at 10:14 AM.

Extraordinary Member

This is an interesting point. Still, those Swan kicks did manage to pierce him. It stands to reason that if they had done so in a vital organ (instead of, I think, his shoulder) he could be killed outright.
    Sanji gets hit right in the gut with the pointed end of Bon Clay's swan shoes at least once during the fight and while it does make him bleed it's far from the rather large and perfect hole that was kicked through a stone wall. So a pretty impressive durability feat. Sanji then gets up and has several speedy exchanges with Bon Clay before winning and running around the place.
    In the Whedon cut, the trident went through Steppenwolf's armor, wounding him. In the snyder cut, he completely impaled him, though his armor was notably torn off already. It cuts through rock like it's barely there. It's worth noting that Aquaman is resistant to cutting and piercing, no selling a human sword thrust, but atlantean tridents are still treated like lethal threats.

But yeah, it is impressive that you found such a close fight. Especially since Zoro and Luffy at that time are presented in the narrative as being around Sanji's level, but actually have much better speed feats already that would have made this uncompetitive.
    Sadly the last part still holds true to this day more or less.