Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UNCHARTED movie

I'm a little worried about them toning down things a bit too much as well. While Uncharted might not be the best comparison as it's relatively not as violent, one of the weird things the Tomb Raider movie reboot did is that they took the 2013 reboot-which is pretty much TEMPLE OF DOOM on steroids-and made into a relatively 'safe' PG-13. They kept the same basic look of Lara from the game (although made her more sassy and Jolie-esque than the frequently PTSD suffering Survivor Lara) and the concept of a lost Queen/Island but that was pretty much it.

The first three games also had heavy supernatural elements but the Fourth game kind of ditched that (although the one in 3 was strongly implied to be some kind of hallucionagenic rather than anything mystical)

I'm guessing they'll probably ease up on Drake killing thousands of mercenaries which is a frequent joke about the games.

One thing I'm curious about is if the Scottish guy is actually Charlie Cutter, a double agent in the games.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 10-26-2021 at 12:46 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

It would be nice to see Drake sunk an entire ancient city with a single bullet in this movie.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    While this may be true, my point is most people don't think of him like that. So there shouldn't be any expectations of a backlash. Did anyone object to him playing a Mexican in Zorro? Nope.
    Zorro has always been of Spanish, not Mexican, descent as far as I know. He's never been a person of color

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He doesn't really sound like the character, he looks too young, etc.
    It's based when he's young, though, so I don't see the problem there. Unless fans want him to start out at 35 or something. Yeah, he doesn't look like Drake, but acting is more important.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    It's based when he's young, though, so I don't see the problem there. Unless fans want him to start out at 35 or something. Yeah, he doesn't look like Drake, but acting is more important.
    I'm not knocking Tom Holland's acting talent, but focusing on a younger version just feels weird for an Uncharted movie.

Zorro has always been of Spanish, not Mexican, descent as far as I know. He's never been a person of color
    He was specifically Mexican in the Banderas films. Not to mention his role in the Desperado series. Point being, nobody will have an issue with him playing a Peruvian.
    Last edited by 80sbaby; 10-26-2021 at 04:47 PM.

Too many elements from the game sequels are present here for me to buy into this being a young Drake.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not knocking Tom Holland's acting talent, but focusing on a younger version just feels weird for an Uncharted movie.
    Ok, well, I see what you mean there. I guess they could've gone with an older actor to match the more well known version of him.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    He was specifically Mexican in the Banderas films. Not to mention his role in the Desperado series. Point being, nobody will have an issue with him playing a Peruvian.
    Well, if he was playing a mixed-race Zorro, that didn't come off to me in the movies. Every main actor in those movies was White. Ultimately this is all probably a non-issue, but I wouldn't say 'nobody would have an issue with him.'

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Too many elements from the game sequels are present here for me to buy into this being a young Drake.
    I don't think this movie is a 1 to 1 adaptation anyway. Hollywood doesn't seem to do that with video games

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I've realized I'm just not interested in this film. I'm sorry, but watching the 2018 short The Uncharted Live Action Fan Film starring Nathan Fillion just has me convinced that that is the best approach to this film, to Drake, and to Sullivan. They decided they needed bigger younger names, it's a huge mistake, and will haunt the franchise for a long time.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I don't think this movie is a 1 to 1 adaptation anyway. Hollywood doesn't seem to do that with video games

There's an interesting example with the Assassins Creed movie; since a good chunk of the games-especially at the time-deal with a new protagonist (at least in the past, although sometimes in the future there's anonymous ones instead of Desmond and the more recent Layla) and the Spanish Inquisition was also something not covered yet by any game, it became a 'side story' to the games although with some exposition to explain the basic concepts of some of the series (although it mostly doesn't bother with the Isu and the dialogue seems to suggest that it's the "only" Apple). There's even an e-mail I think in the "Origins" game that explains the unique Animus set up in the movie.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I don't expect it to be 1 to 1 but to say this focuses on a younger Drake seem to imply the movie will connect to games. I don't think that will be the case.

I figured it's like the Nolan Batman trilogy or the recent James Bond films. It's a younger version of the character that may or may not connect to the other version.

The big difference is how he met Sully.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-28-2021 at 09:16 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I don't expect it to be 1 to 1 but to say this focuses on a younger Drake seem to imply the movie will connect to games. I don't think that will be the case.
    I think it's just using a younger Drake with elements borrowed from different games

Saw it. Never played the games, so I don't have an insider's perspective or attachment to the original canon, but, as an adventure film, I liked it. The treasure hunt was fun and I enjoyed the cast, even if the story could've been stronger. I hope we get a series out of this.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)