Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    When was the last times the books had consistently strong art? Early Spencer? Slott?
    I thought Gleason knocked it out of the park the last two issues, but I guess the keyword here is “consistent.” Hmmn… I love Bagley, but found his work surprisingly inconsistent during the second half of Spencer’s run. And don’t even get me started on the multi-penciled mess that the last issue of his run was made up of. So… maybe Ryan Ottley in the first half of Spencer’s run?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Why are you saying the art is bad? It's pretty standard, not great but not bad. Just different. And finally, Ben's inner monologue.
    Like others have mentioned- its' a flagship title. I think it deserves better art than what the cover and preview showed us.

Ok, fair enough. Thanks for your answers everyone.

Amazing Member

Art is quite good imo.

Spectacular Member

Is that Sarah Pichelli?
    Good God what happened to her?

I loved her when she started in USM back when Peter was still alive but this is awful

Spectacular Member

It seems like dark days are upon us ASM fans, and I'm not talking daylight savings and winter months....Looks like the rotating door of artists continues through at least January with Pichelli, Michael Dowling, Paco Medina and Carlos Gomez....aside from Gomez, none really float my boat when it comes down to captivating artwork for Spiderman, might be time to jump off the wagon after all these years

Astonishing Member

Good art is important to me, but I can overlook it if the writing is good.

Imo, one of my favorite stories of all time, Paul Jenkins’ ‘Death in the Family’ storyline with Green Goblin, was partially ruined by Ramos’ awful art (he was even worse when he was starting out), but I still revisit it because the writing is so top-notch.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noronha View Post
    Is that Sarah Pichelli?
    Good God what happened to her?

I loved her when she started in USM back when Peter was still alive but this is awful
    I think she rushed it, which makes no sense since it's her first issue on this and it's the 3rd issue overall.....

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsguru View Post
    It seems like dark days are upon us ASM fans, and I'm not talking daylight savings and winter months....Looks like the rotating door of artists continues through at least January with Pichelli, Michael Dowling, Paco Medina and Carlos Gomez....aside from Gomez, none really float my boat when it comes down to captivating artwork for Spiderman, might be time to jump off the wagon after all these years
    This, when I heard we were getting the BND style team knew this would happen but damn only the third issue....

Atleast Peter issues are by Gleason/Gleason and Mckay/Gomez and the latter just showed some Black Cat panels and they look Amazing.MJ and May issues will be more mediocre IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Good art is important to me, but I can overlook it if the writing is good.

Imo, one of my favorite stories of all time, Paul Jenkins’ ‘Death in the Family’ storyline with Green Goblin, was partially ruined by Ramos’ awful art (he was even worse when he was starting out), but I still revisit it because the writing is so top-notch.
    That Goblin Peter convo was top notch, althought the "let Gwen touch you" thing was ruined beyond belief by Sins Past which thankfully got retconned by Spencer.

Also both writing and art seems very mid at best from the preview, can't find a silver lining.

Astonishing Member

I’ll give Thompson (sp?) a shot. No one should be judged on only a preview. But I do wish Wells was handling this entire event from beginning to end instead of it being split up by committee.

Astonishing Member

Wondering who could be the villain attacking Ben in the cover and it turns out they were Misty Knight and Colleen Wing. What a way to troll us.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I’ll give Thompson (sp?) a shot. No one should be judged on only a preview. But I do wish Wells was handling this entire event from beginning to end instead of it being split up by committee.
    You got the spelling right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Wondering who could be the villain attacking Ben in the cover and it turns out they were Misty Knight and Colleen Wing. What a way to troll us.
    Hmm, yeah, though they did promise us a new villain would be introduced for Ben's Spider-Man soon enough.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    It could be a red flag, but I think you're right.

Extraordinary Member

Just saw the spoilers for this issues and it seems weak.It's not up to par, still maybe/hopefully the rest of the issue makes it worth it

Astonishing Member

Getting a stable art team in place is difficult to achieve at the best of times. But it is even harder when the book doubles/triple ships. This was always going to happen when they announced it would be thrice a month.

Pichelli is usual solid. So what the hell happened here? Maybe the issue gets better as it goes along, but based on these preview pages? It's rough.

Astonishing Member

I just read the full issue. It wasn’t bad. Better than I was expecting from the preview.
    Some good character work between Ben and Janine, and even Ben and Kafka (and yeah, I love DeMatteis, but it was a bit too on the nose naming her “Kafka”). One thing I found super interesting spoilers:
    Ben couldn’t remember something important Uncle Ben once said to him… which I think may be related to Uncle Ben’s face missing in Peter’s dream in #75.
    end of spoilers
    The only thing I really didn’t care for was the Maxine Danger stuff. She doesn’t seem either threatening or interesting, and the humorous scenes happening in the background during her conversation with Ben were just distracting rather than funny. Took me out of the book a bit.

One thing I’ll say is I’m not a fan of the art. Already miss Gleason. But the writing overall was decent (if nothing extraordinary).
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 10-27-2021 at 02:06 AM.