Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Read it, it's mediocre writing and art's a bit worse.The conversations w/ both Kafka and Danger were generic, Fav part was seeing you-know-who checking up on Peter this soon.There are multiple people MJ could have reached w/ ease.Doc conners and horizon labs for 2.End was bleh as well.

The creative team and Peter being in the first 2 issues elevated them to A-/B+ IMO, this is a C- for me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Read it, it's mediocre writing and art's a bit worse.The conversations w/ both Kafka and Danger were generic, Fav part was seeing you-know-who checking up on Peter this soon.There are multiple people MJ could have reached w/ ease.Doc conners and horizon labs for 2.End was bleh as well.

The creative team and Peter being in the first 2 issues elevated them to A-/B+ IMO, this is a C- for me.
    Personally, I think C- is a bit harsh, but it was definitely a step down from 75/76. And after all the speculation of the cover representing Silvermane or Robot Master, I realized it’s just supposed to be Colleen and Misty… which is kinda lame. Anyway, this issue is nothing offensive or detrimental to the overall storyline or any of the characters, but nothing to write home about either. I’d give it a C+ if I’m grumpy, or a B- if I’m in a good mood (today I’m in a good mood).

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Oh man, I loved it!

SPIDER-MAN BEYOND is KILLING it.

Thompson's dialogue is freaking incredible. Hilarious banter, authentic emotional moments.

You really couldn't ask for better than this.

Also, Pichelli is insanely awesome as always!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Personally, I think C- is a bit harsh, but it was definitely a step down from 75/76. And after all the speculation of the cover representing Silvermane or Robot Master, I realized it’s just supposed to be Colleen and Misty… which is kinda lame. Anyway, this issue is nothing offensive or detrimental to the overall storyline or any of the characters, but nothing to write home about either. I’d give it a C+ if I’m grumpy, or a B- if I’m in a good mood (today I’m in a good mood).
    Ehh.. I gave the first 2 A-/B+, so this issue being a B- isn't happening even on my best mood lol.Those issues were 8.5/10 and this is a 5.5-6/10 for me.
    It's a nothing issue, it doesn't do harm or good because it does nothing.It's Ben first issue being Spider-man after the blessing and even Spencer's streamer suit thing had a better debut fight.
    I will say seeing "her" check up on Peter so early in the series put a big smile on my face, hoping the future stuff w/ her is about helping Peter.

Some good character work between Ben and Janine, and even Ben and Kafka (and yeah, I love DeMatteis, but it was a bit too on the nose naming her “Kafka”).
    I believe DeMatteis named her after a real therapist.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I believe DeMatteis named her after a real therapist.
    Kafka is a very famous literary writer.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    Kafka is a very famous literary writer.
    I'm aware, but I'm pretty sure DeMatteis named her after someone he actually knows.

I think the therapist who inspired Dr. Kafka even commented at one point about the Kafka scene in ASM2.

(But I could be misremembering.)

EDIT: here's a link to a Vanity Fair interview with her
    Last edited by David Walton; 10-27-2021 at 08:12 AM.

Astonishing Member

I'm aware, but I'm pretty sure DeMatteis named her after someone he actually knows.

I think she even commented at one point about the Kafka scene in ASM2.

(But I could be misremembering.)

EDIT: here's a link to a Vanity Fair interview with her
    “She”? “Her”? Maybe I misunderstood and you’re referring to someone else, but it sounds like you’re using female pronouns for DeMatteis. Think you need to clarify what you’re referring to here.

Fun fact from the interview: Frayda Kafka, who J.M. DeMatteis based Dr. Kafka off of, is actually a distant relative of Franz Kafka (a third cousin).

“She”? “Her”? Maybe I misunderstood and you’re referring to someone else, but it sounds like you’re using female pronouns for DeMatteis. Think you need to clarify what you’re referring to here.
    Sorry, "She" is in reference to Frayda Kafka, the hypno-therapist JMD named Dr. Kafka after.

The Vanity Fair interview is with her, not JMD.

Astonishing Member

Sorry, "She" is in reference to Frayda Kafka, the hypno-therapist JMD named Dr. Kafka after.

The Vanity Fair interview is with her, not JMD.
    Ah gotcha. Lol yeah I thought you seemed too knowledgeable to think JMD was a woman.

Ah gotcha. Lol yeah I thought you seemed too knowledgeable to think JMD was a woman.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I've edited the post for clarity.

Should Ben really sound this... amateurish?

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    I didn't get the impression he was amateurish, more that working with BEYOND is entirely new territory?

And also something weird is clearly going on with his memory...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    I got that impression as well. Granted, he’s working with a Corporation but even so he seems off. As a Ben Reilly fan, the last 3 issues aren’t doing much for me. While it’s better (so far) than his last solo series, it just seems boring as heck and the art isn’t appealing to me.