Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Doom Patrol, on the other hand, is wonderful. And both started on and were produced by DCU so it's hard to believe that money is the issue.
    It’s definitely PART of the issue. It’s even a bit of an issue on Doom Patrol. Difference is that the writing on Doom Patrol is strong enough to overcome iffy SFX. It was the same thing with Swamp Thing before that got canceled: great writing and acting but the effects felt lacking. And it’s not like WB can’t AFFORD to give these shows blockbuster budgets. They certainly went all out for Game of Thrones.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    It’s definitely PART of the issue. It’s even a bit of an issue on Doom Patrol. Difference is that the writing on Doom Patrol is strong enough to overcome iffy SFX. It was the same thing with Swamp Thing before that got canceled: great writing and acting but the effects felt lacking. And it’s not like WB can’t AFFORD to give these shows blockbuster budgets. They certainly went all out for Game of Thrones.
    I agree with this. I just think the writing is the biggest problem by multiples. I could forgive lousy effects if the writing was any good at all. Or rather I could focus on that being a serious problem, one that could easily be fixed with HBO money. And I fully believe they would put money into it if they thought money/effects were the problem. If the writing is lousy though, nothing else really matters, it’s not going to work regardless. HBO doesn’t have any issue with pouring money into any show or movie they feel good about. (Watchmen had terrific effects.)

The money thing made a lot more sense when it was produced by DCU. HBO doesn’t have that particular limitation. As for why they’re not spending money on better writers I have no idea. But can anyone here (or anywhere) say that the effects, no matter how bad they are, are a bigger problem than the writing?

Ultimate Member

The problem is Titans is barely about the Titans

The show might have actually fared better of CW since they love teen drama.

It seems like TNT wanted a Watchmen esque but they had the Titans so they tried to fit the Titans into the mold, which didn't work and now they are focusing on Batman characters because they can go as dark as possible with a Batman show. I also remember the show originally being announced with Nightwing and Barbara Gordon as being a part of it. So this really might have been a Nightwing/Gotham show that got reworked into a Titans and then later pivoted back to a Nightwing/Gotham show.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Titans as a show is perfectly fine and preferred. It's the showrunner who sucks at their job that is the problem. They lack creativity and it shows in everything sans the actors so that includes writing and VFX. Doom patrol does a lot with its budget that Titans never will.

Yes it should! WB needs to grow some balls when it comes to DC movies.

Didn't they kill dick off in bvs? If it was a movie it would have to have another robin, bring him back from the dead aready so soon or have it another universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Didn't they kill dick off in bvs? If it was a movie it would have to have another robin, bring him back from the dead aready so soon or have it another universe.
    None of the powers-that-be are bound by literally anything Snyder did. They'd rather forget those films ever happened and, with all respect to his fans who I'm glad enjoyed them, I would too. They don't need a solution of any sort to bring Dick Grayson into the cinematic universe, only a desire to do so.

Incredible Member

I suppose the obvious answer is a movie.
    That way we didn't have to endure what they do every week.

The problem with Titans is so much. It seems too easy
    to say budget. Because then we would be left with the dreadful
    writing. I would argue that the writing is worse than Supergirl.
    That is saying something.

People who complain about Dick Grayson-centric have a point. But then
    they don't understand Dick Grayson either. The whole anti-Batman motif
    for a show set in Gotham City, is well something.

Geoff Johns is someone I want an explanation from to be honest. He was involved
    in the planning for this show, after writing a highly regarded comic book on NTT.
    Yet, Johns participated in creating this monstrosity. I know that Johns is not writing episodes,
    I may have that wrong, but he set this all in motion. When you consider what is being done on
    Superman and Lois along with Stargirl there is no excuse for this crap.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    I suppose the obvious answer is a movie.
    That way we didn't have to endure what they do every week.

The problem with Titans is so much. It seems too easy
    to say budget. Because then we would be left with the dreadful
    writing. I would argue that the writing is worse than Supergirl.
    That is saying something.

People who complain about Dick Grayson-centric have a point. But then
    they don't understand Dick Grayson either. The whole anti-Batman motif
    for a show set in Gotham City, is well something.

Geoff Johns is someone I want an explanation from to be honest. He was involved
    in the planning for this show, after writing a highly regarded comic book on NTT.
    Yet, Johns participated in creating this monstrosity. I know that Johns is not writing episodes,
    I may have that wrong, but he set this all in motion. When you consider what is being done on
    Superman and Lois along with Stargirl there is no excuse for this crap.
    If I remember correctly, Johns has written only 5 episodes of the show. However, he isn't the showrunner. He is the showrunner/writer on Stargirl and everyone there has praised him.
    Speaking of Titans, the showrunners plan the series to have 5 seasons.

Incredible Member

More of the Titans?
    What an appalling thought. Surely, they have done enough damage.

It being a movie might address the pacing issues but not the tonal issues.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-24-2021 at 11:01 AM.

I haven't watched Titans so I can't speak for the quality of the show, but I think the tv format is better suited to the NTT structure. Lot of characters in the Titans roster, each with their own subplots and development, and there's only so much you can squeeze into a film's runtime.

Budget is a potential problem with tv and I hear the Titans suffer from not having enough cash for the effects. But that's only a problem when the studio is cheap; you look at the stuff on Disney+ and if it's not movie quality, it's real damn close. Give the Titans the kind of budget that Mandalorian or Falcon & the Winter Soldier got, and you could likely make the Titans look damn good, while having enough time to actually tell their story properly.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

You have to see some of what Titans has been, to understand what we as DC fans have been subjected to recently.
    It cannot properly be described with words.
    I will say if you don't have the financial resources for these various places where it can be found, you can see clips on youtube.

Has money made a difference? Sure, I suppose. But the writing has been atrocious.
    You are correct in that the comics have put in place a mechanism that would lead itself to a wonderful TV series.
    I don't think anyone would disagree about that. The problem is that the people writing this series know next to nothing
    about the characters, nor do they seem to like them very much.

The show has been very Dick Grayson-centric. But they don't understand Grayson very well either. Most of the
    show seems to be an opportunity to express how much they dislike Batman. They keep throwing new concepts around,
    but it just is a giant mess. I thought the "death scene" of Donna Troy was a lowpoint, but everyone probably has
    their own one.
    Last edited by RobinGA; 10-24-2021 at 12:54 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    Has money made a difference? Sure, I suppose. But the writing has been atrocious.
    You are correct in that the comics have put in place a mechanism that would lead itself to a wonderful TV series.
    I don't think anyone would disagree about that. The problem is that the people writing this series know next to nothing
    about the characters, nor do they seem to like them very much.
    Seem like that.
    Just look at Star Girl as comparison, I doubt that show has a bigger budget, but they managed imo pretty well to translate the tone of the comic into live action.