Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The problem isn't that it's a show, the problem is that it's poorly written. Making it a movie instead wouldn't have fixed that.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    You have to see some of what Titans has been, to understand what we as DC fans have been subjected to recently.
    It cannot properly be described with words.
    I will say if you don't have the financial resources for these various places where it can be found, you can see clips on youtube.

Has money made a difference? Sure, I suppose. But the writing has been atrocious.
    You are correct in that the comics have put in place a mechanism that would lead itself to a wonderful TV series.
    I don't think anyone would disagree about that. The problem is that the people writing this series know next to nothing
    about the characters, nor do they seem to like them very much.

The show has been very Dick Grayson-centric. But they don't understand Grayson very well either. Most of the
    show seems to be an opportunity to express how much they dislike Batman. They keep throwing new concepts around,
    but it just is a giant mess. I thought the "death scene" of Donna Troy was a lowpoint, but everyone probably has
    their own one.
    It's Grayson-centric but doesn't do a great job of showing Dick as an actual hero

Incredible Member

You state it well. A Dick Grayson show, that doesn't like Dick Grayson.
    An anti-Batman show set in Gotham City.
    Reminds me of what Winston Churchill once said about the Soviet Union "a
    riddle wrapped within an enigma."

But as others have pointed out to me it has made money.
    That always seems the bottom line with the WB.

Ultimate Member

You state it well. A Dick Grayson show, that doesn't like Dick Grayson.
    An anti-Batman show set in Gotham City.
    Reminds me of what Winston Churchill once said about the Soviet Union "a
    riddle wrapped within an enigma."

But as others have pointed out to me it has made money.
    That always seems the bottom line with the WB.
    But if it's making money, then they should be more secure to actually tweak and improve the script, right?

Incredible Member

Yes, you would think so.

But what often seems to happen is that they maximize profits, keep costs down, so their bottom line is higher.
    They could plow the money they make into something really good.
    But that seems to violate the AT&T/WB code.

Astonishing Member

You have to see some of what Titans has been, to understand what we as DC fans have been subjected to recently.
    It cannot properly be described with words.
    I will say if you don't have the financial resources for these various places where it can be found, you can see clips on youtube.

Has money made a difference? Sure, I suppose. But the writing has been atrocious.
    You are correct in that the comics have put in place a mechanism that would lead itself to a wonderful TV series.
    I don't think anyone would disagree about that. The problem is that the people writing this series know next to nothing
    about the characters, nor do they seem to like them very much.

The show has been very Dick Grayson-centric. But they don't understand Grayson very well either. Most of the
    show seems to be an opportunity to express how much they dislike Batman. They keep throwing new concepts around,
    but it just is a giant mess. I thought the "death scene" of Donna Troy was a lowpoint, but everyone probably has
    their own one.
    Show doesn't know what it wants Batman to be.

Season 1- Batman broke Dick, turning him into a bitter shell of a man and a failed human being.

Season 2- Batman isn't so bad, Dick was using Bruce as a scapegoat for his own failures.

Season 3- Batman is worse than everyone thought, he ruined Dick, Barbara, Jason and Gotham City.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Why not both?
    Because they don't have infinite resources and are not about to waste both a movie and a tv series slot on the same second tier property?

If the show had better writing and producers it would have been better.

Feel like the heads of the show didn't get what made the Titans click
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member

Cramming 5 origin all at once nah

If they were used as individuals first

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

That is the main problem trying to introduce a whole team in one movie. One or two get the spotlight while the rest kind of get a quick pass over.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Cramming 5 origin all at once nah

If they were used as individuals first
    Marvel did fine introducing the GOTG (which consists of five five characters) in their own movie without the need of individual solo films about each member. A Titans movie wouldn’t need to dive too deeply into the origins into all the characters in order for it to work. In GOTG you never see the backstories of Gamora, Rocket, and Drax, but it’s implied through dialogue of what they went through. Which is likely all you would need for Titans. Of course, Titans and GOTG are very different beasts, but I think GOTG is a good frame of reference if you want to do a superhero team without having solo movies before to building up to them.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 10-26-2021 at 11:09 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Seem like that.
    Just look at Star Girl as comparison, I doubt that show has a bigger budget, but they managed imo pretty well to translate the tone of the comic into live action.
    Off topic but, HOW GREAT WAS SEASON 1 OF STARGIRL???
    Absolutely loved it, and can't wait to watch season 2 on BluRay.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

My question is why bother doing a TV show with a limited budget when you can't even do Beast Boy transformations?

Either don't include that character or don't do the show at all.

I liked some of the castings in the show. Dick Grayson is fine. The Deathstroke actor gives a great performance. He has the look and the voice. I think Donna Troy was well cast. Honestly, everyone outside of Raven and Superboy was solid. I didn't always care for the storylines around Hawk and Dove, but the actors gave good perfromances nonetheless. It's hard for me to gauge Tim Drake, because his character panders so heavily to fans and the comics.

I don't know who is steering this show but the Titans writer room needs an overhaul.
    The J-man

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I liked some of the castings in the show. Dick Grayson is fine. The Deathstroke actor gives a great performance. He has the look and the voice. I think Donna Troy was well cast. Honestly, everyone outside of Raven and Superboy was solid. I didn't always care for the storylines around Hawk and Dove, but the actors gave good perfromances nonetheless. It's hard for me to gauge Tim Drake, because his character panders so heavily to fans and the comics.

I don't know who is steering this show but the Titans writer room needs an overhaul.
    I don't mind Connor's actor but Dawn's actress was always a little weak to me.