Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Deathstroke Inc. #2 Preview

Deathstroke Inc. #2 Preview
    Writer: Joshua Williamson
    Artist: Howard Porter

Good old Henshaw .

Black Canary: Yes!
    Deathstroke (without Priest writing him): Eh.
    Williamson: Okay, I guess.
    Porter: No. That's $3.99 I'm saving.

I know Porter is well loved by many and that's all well and good but his art truly ruins my enjoyment of any comic he draws.

Even with Morrison's JLA it was very hard for me to look past the art. And his Flash stuff? It wasn't Morrison's JLA, it wasn't worth it to me to look past his art so I just didn't buy or read it.

I usually don't look at previews because I don't want to be spoiled but since I figured I wasn't buying this I took a peek. It was so garish and hard to look at it made up my mind for me.

Beyond my personal issues with Porter though, just how much Williamson do we really need? He's fine but his writing is nothing special and I really don't need to see him writing half of the line.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    just how much Williamson do we really need? He's fine but his writing is nothing special and I really don't need to see him writing half of the line.
    It is a bit concerning just how much DC is banking on Williamson. I know it's DC's go-to thing to have one or two main guys pushing creative on both a wide number of books as well as the direction/crossovers for the universe (Jurgens, Dixon, Johns, Snyder) but it's a strategy that has had diminishing returns since the '90s.

I do wonder if DC is heading for trouble, as the line is really thin right now I'm not confident the steps being taken are heading in the right direction. Luckily, the Young Adult books are doing really well (I'm not a YA so am not reading them but really glad they're helping sales).
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Line is not thin, DC is publishing similar amount of titles as always.

Wow, I really didn’t expect to see those two characters show up.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Of course Hiro wouldn't miss the chance to be inside an iron bat suit. He made the SuperBat mech for him to drive.

Dialogue this issue was really clunky to me, which was odd because I mean he wrote a perfect comic in Robin #1 where the dialogue came naturally. Anyways he sure does know how to set stuff up

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Of course Hiro wouldn't miss the chance to be inside an iron bat suit. He made the SuperBat mech for him to drive.
    It is very on-brand...

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Black Canary: Yes!
    Deathstroke (without Priest writing him): Eh.
    Williamson: Okay, I guess.
    Porter: No. That's $3.99 I'm saving.

I know Porter is well loved by many and that's all well and good but his art truly ruins my enjoyment of any comic he draws.

Even with Morrison's JLA it was very hard for me to look past the art. And his Flash stuff? It wasn't Morrison's JLA, it wasn't worth it to me to look past his art so I just didn't buy or read it.

I usually don't look at previews because I don't want to be spoiled but since I figured I wasn't buying this I took a peek. It was so garish and hard to look at it made up my mind for me.

Beyond my personal issues with Porter though, just how much Williamson do we really need? He's fine but his writing is nothing special and I really don't need to see him writing half of the line.
    I’ve never gotten the hype around Porter either.

Yes, I wish they got someone else on art...

This issue looked better imo cause we didn't see their faces all that much...

I actually think Porter is a pretty good fit for the book. His rendition of the new Queen Bee and the HIVE agents was really great.
    I was disappointed with the issue's writing, thought. It wasn't nearly as fun as last time.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

In The Weird's random flashforward scenes sequence, did anyone recognise the character on the far left? Looks a bit like Dracula, but wearing an inverted Dr Light costume?
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    In The Weird's random flashforward scenes sequence, did anyone recognise the character on the far left? Looks a bit like Dracula, but wearing an inverted Dr Light costume?
    Starbreaker
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Starbreaker_(New_Earth)

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by this book. Williamson wisely isn’t trying to go in the same direction of Priest’s Deathstroke because no one is coming close to that series. This one is going in the opposite direction of more over-the-top sci fi adventures.

I hope Starbreaker shows up. I’ve always liked that character. Plus he has such a cool supervillain name! On the DC vs Vampires thread we were talking about how Superman should be impervious to vampire bites as he’s powered by the sun. Starbreaker would see Superman’s solar energy as a nice snack. Any villain who could potentially take out Supes with ease needs to be used more.
    Last edited by Robotman; 10-26-2021 at 07:51 PM.