Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default BVS Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman Will Be A Kryptonian?

The rumor has resurfaced in a Korean webzine that Wonder Woman will be a Kryptonian in the upcoming BVS. Read here.

Firstly, why should even the least fanatical WW fan, like myself, go to see a movie about a Kryptonian Wonder Woman, who isn't the mystical warrior we love from the 70s TV show or the comics? I won't.

Secondly, I think the writer has not made a clear distinction between spoilers and speculation, ..and it seems what we have here is speculation. Nowhere in the (above) article does it say that Zack Snyder or anyone else associated with BVS has said that Wonder Woman will be a 'genetically modified Kryptonian' in the upcoming movie.

Nowhere.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 08-27-2014 at 12:16 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Interesting.

I could see movie-DC going the route that all superpowers have Kryptonian origin to keep it consistent. I assume Flash would be similar then? Green Lantern works as before.

Still, does not feel like a good idea, too cold and sterile, but it will hardly happen anyway. There's a lot of unfounded speculation out there.

If they do it that the Amazons come from early kryptonian settelers (i.e. the empty pod in the fortress ship), then I could live with that. I mean MOS basically makes it seem that all humanoid life may very well have stemmed from them.

I'm always amused at how KDrama Stars is always trying to scoop everyone with these sort of stories. I'm curious what's their insider connection. In general, I don't understand the mentality of folks on the internet who continually post "spoilers" of future movies. How many weird DC movie rumors have we heard now? Oh well, at least they have nothing on Latino Review yet.

When combined with all the fluff my Korean-American friend sends me about Korean entertainment, my sister's interest in Korean period-piece dramas, her and my niece's love of SNSD, and the guys at KDS who try to get clicks from us comic lovers and moviegoers with these "news" stories, I can't help but shake my head and laugh at all the Korean gossip drivel I end up reading per week...

Spectacular Member

Terrible. They better just be going on that ancient rumour.

I had hoped the showing of wonder womans costume had put that to bed, with her having a form of Greek battle skirt.

Just let her be with the Greek gods, and amazons.

Well, why stop with Wonder Woman? Perhaps, Batman should be revealed as using Kryptonian technology to fight crime in Gotham City. Perhaps, Bruce Wayne's parents were killed, just before Thomas Wayne could expose his attachment to a top-secret government project, studying a dead Kryptonian from a crashed UFO.

I can understand that, upon first seeing her in action, Superman might imagine Diana - superhumanly strong, like him - having some connection to Krypton, before finding out she's the Amazon daughter of Zeus, with no connection to Krypton, at all. That would be very intriguing, if written well. I could even imagine some plot twist that leaves us thinking the Olympian gods might have been Kryptonians; however, a Kryptonian Wonder Woman isn't Wonder Woman for me...

And I would pass up seeing the film, if she was.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 08-27-2014 at 01:40 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Well, why stop with Wonder Woman? Perhaps, Batman should be revealed as using Kryptonian technology to fight crime in Gotham City. Perhaps, Bruce Wayne's parents were killed, just before Thomas Wayne could expose his attachment to a top-secret government project, studying a dead Kryptonian from a crashed UFO.

I can understand that, upon first seeing her in action, Superman might imagine Diana - superhumanly strong, like him - having some connection to Krypton, before finding out she's the Amazon daughter of Zeus, with no connection to Krypton, at all. That would be very intriguing, if written well. I could even imagine some plot twist that leaves us thinking the Olympian gods might have been Kryptonians; however, a Kryptonian Wonder Woman isn't Wonder Woman for me...

And I would pass up seeing the film, if she was.
    There's an episode in Young Justice in which the league is discussing potential new members. Superman recommends Icon which leads to humorous scene when someone (I think Green Lantern) reminds Superman of the time he mistook Captain Marvel for a Kryptonian when they first met.

Extraordinary Member

While I have terrible objection to Marvels cinematic Asgardians being shown as aliens, I would hate to see that for the Olympians.

The difference of course, and the reason percy Jackson got away with it I think, is that you can't have pagan gods that anyone actually worships. And having the Amazons actively worshipping pagan gods would probably be deemed to controversial, and therefore a box office no-go.

Where that leaves Diana's origin story, either clay doll or Zeus Daddy, is anyone's guess.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Well, why stop with Wonder Woman? Perhaps, Batman should be revealed as using Kryptonian technology to fight crime in Gotham City.
    I can actually find no valid reason why comicbook Batman wouldn't, provided he can get his hands on some.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I doubt this. I doubt this very much.

As has been mentioned: I wouldn't be surprised if the writers do establish a link between Kryptonians and the Amazons. But Diana will not be a "purebred" Kryptonian. If she were? Then the sword, spear, and shield would REALLY be stupid and unnecessary.

Possible scenarios.

1.) As Brett suggests. They may go with the idea that "the gods" the Amazons worship are Kryptonians. Or at least one of them is. If they go the demigoddess route for Diana's origin? Then Diana is the result of a mating between one of these Kryptonian gods and Hippolyta. This would likely give Diana slightly different powers. If Diana is "formed from clay?" Then it was likely more Kryptonian technology that somehow produced her. Again, different powers.

My thoughts? Like Brett, I hate the concept of turning the Asgardians into aliens. I won't be any more happy about it in Diana's mythos. Depending on how it's handled, it may not be a deal breaker for me, but it's a change I don't want to see.

2.) The Amazons themselves may simply have some Kryptonian DNA in them. In MoS, we saw a single stasis pod was opened on the ship Clark found. It's possible that a single Kryptonian, likely a woman, found herself on Earth 20,000 years ago, found herself a man, mated with him, and produced a Kryptonian-human hybrid. Kryptonian DNA enters the human gene pool. Somehow, this Kryptonian gathers together a group of hybrid women and helps them become the Amazons. The results? By now, the Amazons only have a little Kryptonian genetics in their makeup. Maybe just enough to make them superhuman, but not enough to say that they truly are Kryptonian.

My thoughts? This one would be acceptable. Yeah, I don't see a real need to make the Amazons so tied to Superman's origin, but if it's a really distant link, it's not a big deal. The only thing I'd be worried about is the fact that if Diana's power derives solely from this diluted Krptonian DNA of hers, that's a strong argument for Diana being much weaker than Superman. So, if they go with this, I'm hoping that they do something else to increase Diana's power. Other than that? No real problems.

3.) It's been long-established that Kryptonians are basically immortal under a yellow sun. The one Kryptonian to escape the ship 20,000 years ago may still be alive. If it's a woman? Then they could go with the idea that this woman gathered together the Amazons and may, in fact, still be among them. Likely scenario? HIPPOLYTA is the Kryptonian. If they go the demigoddess route with Diana? Theoretically, Diana could be more powerful than Superman in some ways. If they go clay origin? Easy enough to say that the Amazons have advanced science thanks to what Hippolyta salvaged from her ship, and the "clay origin" may in fact, be some kind of gene-splicing thingy. If they want Diana to be slightly weaker than Superman? Maybe Hippolyta simply found time to take a human man as a mate, making Diana half-Kryptonian and half-human.

My thoughts? This one ties the Amazons to the Kryptonians a little more closely. Not as ideal. It will also be a bit hard on Diana's specialness if she isn't even the most powerful Amazon on the Island. The idea that Diana's mom could fly out any time and totally upstage Diana would be a bit irksome, to say the least. Still, it could be made acceptable if handled properly.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

It just seems so wrong on so many levels to me. Wonder Woman's mythos doesn't need a link to Superman or Krypton to be interesting! It's as if someone (the writer) hasn't even bothered to give the Wonderverse a chance to stand on its own merit, ..and I think we, WW's fans, deserve that much.

We don't need a connection to Superman!

Sounds stupid, but beyond that, it's unnecessary since they're adding Aquaman (an Atlantean) and Shazam (who is based on magic so much). So it's not like this is the nolanverse or anything. I dont see a reason to water down WW by making her a kryptonian for convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    While I have terrible objection to Marvels cinematic Asgardians being shown as aliens, I would hate to see that for the Olympians.

The difference of course, and the reason percy Jackson got away with it I think, is that you can't have pagan gods that anyone actually worships. And having the Amazons actively worshipping pagan gods would probably be deemed to controversial, and therefore a box office no-go.

Where that leaves Diana's origin story, either clay doll or Zeus Daddy, is anyone's guess.
    But for us, all gods are alien/extra terrestrial beings, as they aren't of the Earth. It's really just terminology, right? It just depends on where they've come from, what technology they have, and how primitive the population is/was when they arrive(d), whether they are deemed gods, or aliens. I think that goes for our Earthly mythologies (Old Testament stories which are the roots of judeo-christian mythologies as well.)

I think a plausible explanation would be that Kara Zor-El, at some point in her 20K years here (possibly after splicing some cro magnon folks' DNA with the codex info to create us humans) founded the island and created a superior race of women using the codex.

And I think I hate it. And I think this is just the same old rumor.
    Last edited by RealWonderman; 08-27-2014 at 05:56 AM.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Can't help but wonder how Kara Zor-El figures into all of this. Wonder Woman genetically engineered by Supergirl? Or worse...the Olympian gods?!

No way...

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm hoping it's just a rumor. Snyder, Affleck and Goyer aren't Nolan; they're comic book geeks. I can't see them making this big a change for the sake of pseudo realism. Plus, as Dr. Hurt said, Shazam and Aquaman would require just as much tweaking, and that seems like more trouble than it's worth. And I read on SHH! that Johns helped Goyer and Snyder map out the cinematic universe. Not sure how credible that tidbit is, but I doubt Johns would allow that to happen either.

I think this rumor first circulated because Jett from Batman-On-Film theorized it and it spread. Dude likes the more grounded approach to characters, so I can see him wanting something like this despite what a big middle finger it would be to Wonder Woman.