Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    While I have terrible objection to Marvels cinematic Asgardians being shown as aliens, I would hate to see that for the Olympians.

The difference of course, and the reason percy Jackson got away with it I think, is that you can't have pagan gods that anyone actually worships. And having the Amazons actively worshipping pagan gods would probably be deemed to controversial, and therefore a box office no-go.

Where that leaves Diana's origin story, either clay doll or Zeus Daddy, is anyone's guess.
    The idea that non-judeo-christian believers is somehow controversial is sad to me ... I found the Asgardians as Aliens bit frustrating to no end! Audiences have been going to see movies about pagan gods for ages without anyone seeming to be bothered by it.

I'll just say that if they make this movie version a Kryptonian I'll be seriously upset as they will have effectively robbed the actual WW of her big screen debut ... WW is an Amazon, not an alien or part alien character. It's one of if not THE most distinctive part of who the character is ... it feels like a bastardization of the Amazons to make them a derivative of Superman, and it takes away from SM too ... he's the "last son" of Krypton, it's one of the things that sets him apart too.

Extraordinary Member

I really hope not.

There's ways to make WW's world more "realistic" without tying it to the Kryptonians. The Amazons and the Gods could be like races of "superbeings" that emerged in the evolutionary process, for instance, while still making room for some mysticism around them (specially the gods). Mutants, so to speak, but not like X-Men, more like the natural process. You know what they say about myths being projected thoughts about actual stuff.
    Last edited by Vonter Voman; 08-27-2014 at 10:17 AM.

I doubt they'd do this.

I really, REALLY hope they don't this, this unnecessary linking with Superman, just, I can't see any upsides, it takes her from being a woman with her own mythos and her own world and she just becomes an off-shoot of Superman's world or something, and more people think she's basically the "female Superman". It just seems extremely unnecessary.

And god, if they make the gods aliens...OTL the whole Gods and Monsters aspect is what attracted me to Wonder Woman in the first place, basically saying that they're all basically delusion aliens or something ruins it for me.

Yeah, as I said, I don't think they'd do it, but...I still have a lot of feelings towards this lol.

Some interesting things could come out of that.
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Come find me when you wake up."

I thought they already said that Diana wasn't going to be kryptonian or a decedent?
    Richard Alexander

BANNED

DC is not stupid and hopefully they would not allow a Kryptonian WW to happen, because they know that would alienate the core audience they are trying to reach.

People know Wonder Woman's history, and they simply won't buy this kind of crappy reboot.

The website in the OP is known for recycling old stories, so I wouldn't look too much into this.
    But the idea itself? Ugh.
    It doesn't deserve any more words than that.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Ultimate Member

I'm pretty sure that this was already debunked by other sources.

Old story that never was true in the first place gets regurgitated in online geekdom. Won't be the last time, either. Sigh.
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

I really hope this isn't true but I have zero faith in WB execs who seem to be completely clueless.

And if they're really afraid to offend religious fanatics that's just pathetic. They had a lot of jesus imagery in MoS because as Snyder said there have always been comparisons and similarities and they just wanted to acknowledge them and move on instead of pretending they didn't exist. That garnered support from many church groups and right wing pundits. I really hope they don't try to pander to them in this movie. I'd hate to think our country has gotten so backwards that a superhero film can't even bring up the ancient Greek pantheon.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I really hope this isn't true but I have zero faith in WB execs who seem to be completely clueless.

And if they're really afraid to offend religious fanatics that's just pathetic. They had a lot of jesus imagery in MoS because as Snyder said there have always been comparisons and similarities and they just wanted to acknowledge them and move on instead of pretending they didn't exist. That garnered support from many church groups and right wing pundits. I really hope they don't try to pander to them in this movie. I'd hate to think our country has gotten so backwards that a superhero film can't even bring up the ancient Greek pantheon.
    I highly doubt that Marvel made the Asgardians into aliens because they were afraid of offending Christians, Jews, and Muslims. For one thing? Hollywood has proven to be perfectly willing to take a big, steaming dump on those religions many times in the past. Lots of liberals in Hollywood. Lots of people willing to take potshots at those religions.

Second? Saying that the Asgardians were magical gods that humanity ONCE worshipped is no more likely to offend people than to say that they were technological aliens that humanity once mistook for gods. Either way, the Abrahamic religions still can sit by and identify the Asgardians as "false gods" that a primitive people like the Vikings were suckered into worshipping.

Third? It would be child's play to show that the Asgardians no longer are really interested in being worshipped. Thor doesn't have to say a word about wanting people to worship him. He could easily say that the Asgardians no longer really need the ego gratification.

Fourth? Pagan worship has undergone a bit of a revival in recent decades. The Norse gods ARE worshipped by a couple million people worldwide, under the Asatru religion. Sure, it's still a relatively minor religion, but it would still be a valid counterpoint to any arguments from the Christian, Jewish, and/or Muslim authorities. Greek revivalism is also a thing.

So, no. I doubt Marvel made the Asgardians into "pew, pew, pew" aliens out of fear of religious backlash. And I see no reason why DC would feel it necessary to follow their lead anyway.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Lots of liberals in Hollywood. Lots of people willing to take potshots at those religions.
    I'm a liberal and have lived in Los Angeles 22 yrs. I edit fiction manuscripts (not screenplays) and also living here for so long have made friends with people in various positions in the ent industry. There are lots of libs in this town, sure, but I've yet to meet even one creative type who specifically wanted to write/produce/direct a story to take pot shots at any minor or major religion. Sure, Hollywood get criticized by conservative evangelicals because conservatives claim movies "glorify" things like homosexuality, etc. But that's just art exploring life, providing honest portrayals of how people actually live. Just don't agree with the pot shots comment at all.
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Top Carnivore View Post
    I'm a liberal and have lived in Los Angeles 22 yrs. I edit fiction manuscripts (not screenplays) and also living here for so long have made friends with people in various positions in the ent industry. There are lots of libs in this town, sure, but I've yet to meet even one creative type who specifically wanted to write/produce/direct a story to take pot shots at any minor or major religion. Sure, Hollywood get criticized by conservative evangelicals because conservatives claim movies "glorify" things like homosexuality, etc. But that's just art exploring life, providing honest portrayals of how people actually live. Just don't agree with the pot shots comment at all.
    Well, I can only report on what I've seen, but I've seen an awful lot of movies and TV shows go out of their way to cast the Judeo-Christian God as either a cruel piece-of-crap, or as a total @$$#&!* who doesn't care about anyone or anything anymore and allows horrible things to happen because he is such a jerk.

Lots of characters appear in film and TV as well that try to cast the Judeo-Christian faith in general in the worst light possible. Corrupt priests, blind fanatics, people who try to force their beliefs on others. It's become my belief that if Hollywood is going to include a practitioner of the Judeo-Christian faith in one of their movies, one should expect this character to either be an idiot, a bigot, or some other kind of disgusting or unlikeable person.

That's been my experience, anyway.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    The idea that non-judeo-christian believers is somehow controversial is sad to me ... I found the Asgardians as Aliens bit frustrating to no end! Audiences have been going to see movies about pagan gods for ages without anyone seeming to be bothered by it.

I'll just say that if they make this movie version a Kryptonian I'll be seriously upset as they will have effectively robbed the actual WW of her big screen debut ... WW is an Amazon, not an alien or part alien character. It's one of if not THE most distinctive part of who the character is ... it feels like a bastardization of the Amazons to make them a derivative of Superman, and it takes away from SM too ... he's the "last son" of Krypton, it's one of the things that sets him apart too.
    I could see them tying that Olympians in with the New Gods. That wouldn't be too far from the comics.