Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Well, I can only report on what I've seen, but I've seen an awful lot of movies and TV shows go out of their way to cast the Judeo-Christian God as either a cruel piece-of-crap, or as a total @$$#&!* who doesn't care about anyone or anything anymore and allows horrible things to happen because he is such a jerk.

Lots of characters appear in film and TV as well that try to cast the Judeo-Christian faith in general in the worst light possible. Corrupt priests, blind fanatics, people who try to force their beliefs on others. It's become my belief that if Hollywood is going to include a practitioner of the Judeo-Christian faith in one of their movies, one should expect this character to either be an idiot, a bigot, or some other kind of disgusting or unlikeable person.

That's been my experience, anyway.
    I'm not saying that Christians and people of other faiths haven't ever been portrayed in a negative light. But hey, so have homosexuals, native Americans, Asians, Blacks, Latinos, Women and any other group we could think of. And btw, in real life I've actually met "corrupt priests, blind fanatics, religious bigots and people who force their beliefs on others." So maybe it's a a case of art imitating life? As for portraying the Judeo-Christian God as cruel, well according to the Bible, the Judeo-Christian God supposedly did command that homosexuals in those times be brutally murdered and in certain cases women had to marry their rapists. Etc, etc. Those examples are just off the top of my head. I can easily find many, many other ways the Bible painted God and His followers as sadistic and cruel. So maybe the Hollywood peeps that created the religious characters you're referring to, and who paint God a certain way, read the Bible?
    Last edited by Top Carnivore; 08-29-2014 at 12:57 PM.
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Top Carnivore View Post
    I'm not saying that Christians and people of other faiths haven't ever been portrayed in a negative light. But hey, so have homosexuals, native Americans, Asians, Blacks, Latinos, Women and any other group we could think of. And btw, in real life I've actually met "corrupt priests, blind fanatics, religious bigots and people who force their beliefs on others." So maybe it's a a case of art imitating life?
    Sure. But when you seem to be ONLY portraying said people in a negative light? That starts to look like something else.

As for portraying the Judeo-Christian God as cruel, well according to the Bible, the Judeo-Christian God supposedly did command that homosexuals in those times be brutally murdered and in certain cases women had to marry their rapists. Etc, etc. Those examples are just off the top of my head. I can easily find other ways the Bible painted God as sadistic and cruel. So maybe the people that created the religious characters you're referring to read the Bible?
    Sure, they read the PARTS of the Bible that back up this "God is a sadistic monster" image, and didn't even glance at the parts of the Bible where God is portrayed in a better light.

That's the point I'm getting at. Hollywood goes out of their way to portray the negative sides of the Judeo-Christian faiths, to the near exclusion of the good sides. That's not a fair portrayal at all.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Well, I can only report on what I've seen, but I've seen an awful lot of movies and TV shows go out of their way to cast the Judeo-Christian God as either a cruel piece-of-crap, or as a total @$$#&!* who doesn't care about anyone or anything anymore and allows horrible things to happen because he is such a jerk.

Lots of characters appear in film and TV as well that try to cast the Judeo-Christian faith in general in the worst light possible. Corrupt priests, blind fanatics, people who try to force their beliefs on others. It's become my belief that if Hollywood is going to include a practitioner of the Judeo-Christian faith in one of their movies, one should expect this character to either be an idiot, a bigot, or some other kind of disgusting or unlikeable person.

That's been my experience, anyway.
    Well, if you use the Old Testament...or the deep South...
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Hasn't this rumour already been debunked?

That's the point I'm getting at. Hollywood goes out of their way to portray the negative sides of the Judeo-Christian faiths, to the near exclusion of the good sides. That's not a fair portrayal at all.
    When have you ever seen Muslims or atheists portrayed in a good light in Hollywood? And how many times have you seen the main character of a movie has a cross? Or how about all those Bible movies? Also, being liberal has no bearing on your religion. Tbh, I couldn't care less about how some people in Hollywood portray any faith at all, but Christianity doesn't exactly get a short straw (or a long one). And most Christians will not to get up in arms about a fictional portrayal of the Greek gods.

We should move this conversation to PM.
    Last edited by Mr. Mastermind; 08-29-2014 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice Prince View Post
    I could see them tying that Olympians in with the New Gods. That wouldn't be too far from the comics.
    Also a retcon in the comics IIRC ... And, while that would be better IMO, I'm not sure it would make sense at this point in the cinematic universe to try and introduce the concept of the New Gods ... Seems like that could be it's own franchise actually

Sure. But when you seem to be ONLY portraying said people in a negative light? That starts to look like something else.

Sure, they read the PARTS of the Bible that back up this "God is a sadistic monster" image, and didn't even glance at the parts of the Bible where God is portrayed in a better light.

I think that's a sign of the times. There are a lot of high profile fundamentalists out there that really piss people off ... Not just liberals either. Seriously, there are still people like Million Moms who freak out if a commercial even hints at gay parents. People who hide their hate behind religion make it easy for Hollywood to take a few shots at religion with a bit of impunity.

There are a few other things too, the Old Testament depicts a god who was vengeful and jealous of the devotion of his followers. Many times he demanded self-mutilation, fathers killing sons, or refusing his most devout followers the blessings of the promised land, or exiles them from paradise or turning a woman to salt for not blindly following his instructions. There are reasons for certain, but in movies and entertainment people want the drama not the lesson. It's just a better story when it's about human suffering/drama at the hands of God. I very much doubt there is any conspiracy-style organization behind this.

I guess it's just really too bad that a book that many people claim to the infallible word of God (as in every single word came from the Higher Being who created the entire universe) contains whole swaths that portray said God as a brutal warlord who loved murdering gays and stoning non-virgin unmarried females to death. Don't get me wrong, I love all the "Do unto others.." concepts and the stories about brotherly love in the bible. Unfortunately, the book as a whole is like eating an impressive dinner at a five star restaurant only to find that while one dish tastes yummy, a good portion of the plate is actually fried fecal matter. As for Hollywood, lots of gays working in Hollywood. If any of them have written/produced/directed projects that paint religious types a certain negative way, I'm sure it can't have anything to do with being told by this religion that they're literally an abomination and can look forward to burning in hellfire for eternity. The Church drilled that into a lot of young minds. If the Church is now facing backlash by artists, it's probably karma.

To make this Wonder Woman related: Diana would surely denounce a LOT of stuff in the bible, the way it portrayed gays and subjugated women. Lots of other stuff too. I'm thinking that if Diana ever explored her artistic side and wrote a book or script, religious people in man's world wouldn't necessarily come off looking like saints.
    Last edited by Top Carnivore; 08-29-2014 at 02:28 PM.
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

I crashed the old CBR by talking about religion so I wouldn't advise it.

I don't see Hollywood as being liberal at all. The left wing in America died a long, long time ago (any country that has Obama and the Clintons as the front runners of it's left wing is beyond conservative) and the people working at Hollywood are millionaires that I'm guessing very much like tax cuts and less government regulation. They're socially liberal, but so are most Tories these days.

Back to Wonder Woman...

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I guess it's just really too bad that a book that many people claim to the infallible word of God (as in every single word came from the Higher Being who created the entire universe) contains whole swaths that portray said God as a brutal warlord who loved murdering gays and stoning non-virgin unmarried females to death. Don't get me wrong, I love all the "Do unto others.." concepts and the stories about brotherly love in the bible. Unfortunately, the book as a whole is like eating an impressive dinner at a five star restaurant only to find that while one dish tastes yummy, a good portion of the plate is actually fried fecal matter. As for Hollywood, lots of gays working in Hollywood. If any of them have written/produced/directed projects that paint religious types a certain negative way, I'm sure it can't have anything to do with being told by this religion that they're literally an abomination and can look forward to burning in hellfire for eternity. The Church drilled that into a lot of young minds. If the Church is now facing backlash by artists, it's probably karma.

To make this Wonder Woman related: Diana would surely denounce a LOT of stuff in the bible, the way it portrayed gays and subjugated women. Lots of other stuff too. I'm thinking that if Diana ever explored her artistic side and wrote a book or script, religious people in man's world wouldn't necessarily come off looking like saints.
    Okay, you started this conversation by trying to convince me that people in Hollywood don't take potshots at Judeo-Christianity.

And yet, here you are, taking those very potshots you were trying to tell me aren't there.

You've lost all credibility in this discussion, and I will not engage you further in it.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

She did write a book ... And there was a whole storyline about the radical right freaking out about it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Also a retcon in the comics IIRC ... And, while that would be better IMO, I'm not sure it would make sense at this point in the cinematic universe to try and introduce the concept of the New Gods ... Seems like that could be it's own franchise actually
    Well in BvS no. I doubt that movie will give confirmation that the Greek gods actually exist either. If they wanted to get to Darkseid by the first or second Justice League movie then I could see them using the Greek Gods in Wonder Woman's movie as a way of introducing the concept of ultra powerful extra demential beings.

Okay, you started this conversation by trying to convince me that people in Hollywood don't take potshots at Judeo-Christianity.

And yet, here you are, taking those very potshots you were trying to tell me aren't there.

You've lost all credibility in this discussion, and I will not engage you further in it.
    Just giving the facts, as I see them. Of course, I've lost absolutely no credibility. But like you, I'm done with this conversation.

She did write a book ... And there was a whole storyline about the radical right freaking out about it.
    Yes, Reflections. And I can totally, totally relate to how those radical righties treated Diana.

Yes, Reflections. And I can totally, totally relate to how those radical righties treated Diana.
    I suppose there would be some crazy times if a major world figure wrote a book that effectively called everyone a bunch of hypocrites and warmongers. But there's a bit more than a touch of truth to that ... On both sides of the political fence

I suppose there would be some crazy times if a major world figure wrote a book that effectively called everyone a bunch of hypocrites and warmongers. But there's a bit more than a touch of truth to that ... On both sides of the political fence
    oh, of course. anytime you have humans involved, hypocrisy follows. Both sides. All sides. Absolutely. Which is why we desperately need Wonder Woman!