Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Will we ever get another great comedy series on network TV?

The comedies they have right now are pretty mediocre IMO. I remember the good old days of Seinfeld, Frasier, Everybody Loves Raymond, and Friends from the 90s.

Not saying there hasn't been good ones since, but I long for another great group of network comedies.

I think maybe The Office was the last great one we had. I am not a huge fan of it but it is one everyone talks about, one that everyone seems to love and there was a lot of buzz about.

There are some with buzz now but they seem to be more cult like following or Niche comedies.

The problem is we have too many reboots and bring backs of older shows that just dont catch the magic and fire of the original.

There is only one bring back I want. The world needs the wisdoms of Herman's Head in these troubled times more then ever!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, The Office and Big Bang Theory were both entertaining in their early seasons but both went on way too long.

But I guess you could say the same about my examples as well.

You mean "The Neighborhood" isn't great television??

Just kidding... The term "great" being subjective of course, but I thought "Bklyn-99" was great (though the last couple seasons were meh) and that just ended. I think "Bob's Burgers" is great, but is that a diff category for being animated? Are you (speaking to the OP here) implying that having a huge audience is part of the greatness? Network audiences have been diminishing anyway in general, so that makes it less likely.

I think it's always possible a new show will be great. "The Good Place" was great - that ended only because the creatives figured out how it should end and didn't want to drag it out.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I think maybe The Office was the last great one we had. I am not a huge fan of it but it is one everyone talks about, one that everyone seems to love and there was a lot of buzz about.
    Maybe it’s just me, but I never understood the appeal of The Office. I watched a few episodes but found it to have been stupid and not worth my time.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Maybe it’s just me, but I never understood the appeal of The Office. I watched a few episodes but found it to have been stupid and not worth my time.
    Yes, it is you.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

When I hear great, I think classic or iconic. I don’t think ratings make a TV comedy great, but suggest they could be. Although shows that drop fast are likely not great. Like, if people tried it and didn’t stay, it probably wasn’t great.

For me, becoming part of culture and doing well in reruns (cable, syndication, streaming) would be part of great. Like I loved 30 Rock but it’s pretty much vanished from culture, so while it’s a favorite, I wouldn’t consider a classic or iconic. Re-watchability is part of great. Big Bang Theory must be re-watchable for a lot of people because TBS runs the crap out of it. I heard that Bob’s Burgers does well on cable reruns. Not sure about the ABC shows, like Modern Family or Blackish or Goldbergs. Can’t think of any others.

I’m in the exact same place with The Office, but I’m not a fan of cringe comedy.

Im with you. Like I said I am not a fan. I dont get how the show got as big as it did. There was a time that I wanted to just kick anyone who said
    "That's what she said." Right in the beanbags, or punch their hogans depending on the gender. The boss was a huge jerk and Dwight was an ******* and if I had to see a close up of Jim's Gee Whiz face one more time I would have thrown my tv out the window!

I really love big Bang Theory but it hasnt made its way into pop culture the way The Office has. I would say it cashed in on the nerd culture trend with sterotypes and they did a good job of it.

I enjoy some episodes of Bob's Burgers but cant watch them all. And the new show The Great North by the people who did Bob's Burgers? That show is as unwatchable as you will get. But to be fair on the animated front it is hard to get a show to be considered great. The big ones people talk about The Simpsons, South Park, and Family Guy people say were good even great at one point but all have been on way too long and need to stop. Fox just seems to be on the who ever can draw and do a funny voice gets a cartoon to try out. Duncanville and Bless The Harts (RIP) were the best new offerings they have had in years.
    Last edited by babyblob; 10-24-2021 at 07:51 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

No, I wasn't meaning to say ratings indicates a great show.

Two And A Half Men had huge ratings but I hated that show and would most definitely not consider it a great show.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yes, it is you.
    Okey dokey. Just checking.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

toast of london is supposed to be getting another season

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I think the only top tier comedy show on currently is the Goldburgs.
    Everything else is steps below that. I don't find The Neighborhood to be all that entertaining.

This past decade 2010-2020 I enjoyed Community but wouldn't call it iconic, it was niche. Then Goldburgs which like others is spilling into another decade. I actually liked its spinoff show that didn't last past two seasons, Schooled.

Networks had crops of great comedy shows from the 70s up through the 2000s. It is this last decade where the big shift to Streaming has happened.
    As some mentioned the first decade of the 00s had Modern Family, Big Bang, Office, Scrubs, Parks and Rec, How I Met Your Mother and Two and 1/2 Men probably 1-2 more I can't think of offhand.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I wonder what will be the first of the main networks to ditch broadcast entirely and go with an all-streaming model.

Ultimate Member

I don't think any decade was full of great comedies. A few might be good but generally they're all mid-tier at best. Idk if that's somehow changed during the last decade

Retired

Since the pandemic started I haven't watched much network T.V. Not new shows--but lots and lots of old shows. Before the pandemic, I was watching THE NEIGHBOURHOOD and really enjoyed it. Because it reminded me of all the sitcoms I watched in the 1970s. It was comfort food for my soul. Maybe one day I'll get back to it. But I just can't seem to get into watching new shows--other than CORONATION STREET and MURDOCH MYSTERIES.

Network T.V. is kind of dead, ain't it. That's not how we consume media anymore. My T.V. is packed away in an old chest. I watch everything on my computer screen and I watch when I want. The last time there was a big rush to watch a show as soon as it was available was when the final season of GAME OF THRONES aired. Other than live sporting events, there's not much reason to watch a show at the time the network decides.