All-New Member

Default When does Bruce Banner change by getting angry?

I just started up with Marvel comics and I’m reading a few different comics on the app. Started with Spider-man and have been looking at others. But I started at the beginning with Hulk and I don’t like how he starts. Changing when the sun goes down? Is he a vampire or the Hulk? Lol I was wondering when in the comics does he begin to change by getting angry? And stop talking like a man? Is it much later on in the comics? I would really love the help here. I want to begin reading some other favorites like Captain America, Spider-man, Iron Man. But I can’t seem to find origin stories in the comics. They are already who they are where I start reading. I love origin stories and when hulk became hulk in the 60’s his origin story was really quick, not much leading up to it. I realize that for some comics, this is how they deal with origin stories, and I understand that. I was hoping if some of you can help me out and share some origin story goodies for all these characters. Also, please dumb it down for me as I didn’t start reading comics until recently so I won’t understand some lingo or titles or stories. I did buy a few Wolverine and Star Wars Dark Empire comics a long time ago but I never collected or read weekly or biweekly (not sure when new stories come out) so it would help if you could dumb it down for me and make a little simple. It’s already so overwhelming to me that there are so many of the same titles to comics. I look up Iron Man and I see so many series by the same name but separated by years so it can be confusing and I wouldn’t know the first place to start. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by redwolverine View Post
    I just started up with Marvel comics and I’m reading a few different comics on the app. Started with Spider-man and have been looking at others. But I started at the beginning with Hulk and I don’t like how he starts. Changing when the sun goes down? Is he a vampire or the Hulk? Lol I was wondering when in the comics does he begin to change by getting angry? And stop talking like a man? Is it much later on in the comics? I would really love the help here. I want to begin reading some other favorites like Captain America, Spider-man, Iron Man. But I can’t seem to find origin stories in the comics. They are already who they are where I start reading. I love origin stories and when hulk became hulk in the 60’s his origin story was really quick, not much leading up to it. I realize that for some comics, this is how they deal with origin stories, and I understand that. I was hoping if some of you can help me out and share some origin story goodies for all these characters. Also, please dumb it down for me as I didn’t start reading comics until recently so I won’t understand some lingo or titles or stories. I did buy a few Wolverine and Star Wars Dark Empire comics a long time ago but I never collected or read weekly or biweekly (not sure when new stories come out) so it would help if you could dumb it down for me and make a little simple. It’s already so overwhelming to me that there are so many of the same titles to comics. I look up Iron Man and I see so many series by the same name but separated by years so it can be confusing and I wouldn’t know the first place to start. Thank you very much.
    Spiderman Origin was in Amazing Fantasy 15. So if you start buy reading Amazing Spiderman number 1 from 1963 he will already have his powers. Though that issue does do a quick recap of how he got his powers.

Ironman's Origin is in Tales of Suspense #39. This book came out in March of 1963

Captain America has been around since the 1940s. But in the Silver Age his origin is retold in Tales of Suspense #63. This issue came out in March of 1965.
    Last edited by babyblob; 10-24-2021 at 04:28 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Spiderman Origin was in Amazing Fantasy 15. So if you start buy reading Amazing Spiderman number 1 from 1963 he will already have his powers. Though that issue does do a quick recap of how he got his powers.

Ironman's Origin is in Tales of Suspense #39. This book came out in March of 1963

Captain America has been around since the 1940s. But in the Silver Age his origin is retold in Tales of Suspense #63. This issue came out in March of 1965.
    Thank you for your help. That does help a lot. I’m heading to the app to save those issues. Much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by redwolverine View Post
    Thank you for your help. That does help a lot. I’m heading to the app to save those issues. Much appreciated
    No problem. I love the older Silver Age stuff from the 60's and 70's. if you have more questions please feel free to pm me.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Incredible Member

The answer to your initial question is Tales to Astonish #59 from 1964, which is the first appearance of Hulk in that series, after his own was cancelled. He would continue to appear in Tales to Astonish until the book was just retitled The Incredible Hulk with issue #102.

Hulk originally changed when the sun went down, and there's a few issues where he also uses a gamma ray beam to attempt to control the transformations (although later it was retconned this was basically the Hulk personas subconsciously getting him bombarded with *more* gamma) but it eventually settled into the anger/stress/trauma bit. When the Grey Hulk returned it went back to the nighttime transformations for a while, and it recently re-emerged with the Devil Hulk (who also could emerge from that even if Bruce was "dead").

At times the Hulk can also emerge simply by Banner willing it, especially when he's in more of an agreement with the other personas, or if Banner has control over the Hulk. Or the Hulk manages to suppress Banner somehow (During some of the Vegas era, and also the Merged Professor era although that was mainly because the Merged/Professor thought he was a "cured" Bruce).

As for the Savage Hulk, he pretty much becomes more savage and by the 70s he's pretty much settled into your regular savage Hulk. Eventually though it's revealed there's multiple Hulk personalities, explaining part of the change in the Hulk's speech and intelligence: Savage Hulk, Grey Hulk/Joe Fixit/Cosmic Hulk, Merged/Professor, Green Scar/World Breaker, Devil Hulk, Guilt Hulk etc. It's complicated but basically it's a mix of Bruce Banner's own personal multiple personality disorder mixed with the gamma radiation. Of course there's also Banner himself.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 10-26-2021 at 08:02 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member

It's understandable that you'd be confused if you start reading the heroe's series thinking that's where their origin would be. Most started in anthology magazines, which then essentially became their magazines, until they were retitled, years down the line. For instance...

Spider-Man first appeared in Amazing Fantasy #15, the last issue of that series. He got his own series with his second appearance.
    Hank Pym/Ant-Man first appeared in Tales to Astonish #27, then in #35, and continued to appear in that series.
    Thor first appeared in Journey Into Mystery #83 and continued to appear in that series until it was simply retitled The Mighty Thor with #126
    Iron Man first appeared in Tales of Suspense #39, and continued to appear in that series. After Captain America was brought back in The Avengers, he began sharing that book with Iron Man, in a "split book." Eventually, the book was retitled Captain America with issue #100, while Iron Man got his own series starting with #1.
    Hulk started in his own mag, but it was cancelled. He started starring in Tales to Astonish, which became a split book between him and Ant-Man with #60. Ant-Man was replaced with Sub-Mariner with #70. The series was retitled as The Incredible Hulk starting with issue #102, while Sub-Mariner then received his own series starting with #1.

The Fantastic Four and Daredevil, however, started in their own mags.