Extraordinary Member

Default Pennyworth #4 Preview

Pennyworth #4 Preview
    Writer: Scott Bryan Wilson
    Artist: Juan Gedeon

"...and a bed." As you do.

Always a dapper man, that Alfred Pennyworth .

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I love this book! I hope Wilson gets another bat-book after this
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This reworking of the KBBeast as a cold war threat uncovered by Alfred during his tenure with Mi6 continues to be a thrilling spy romp. I love the fast paced action and its mix of espionage, mystery and sci-fi tropes really keeps you guessing where its all going. While this book started out as a tie-in to the tv show it's definitely shaken off the stigma of those kinds of media cash ins as its a fun story that can be easily enjoyed on its own merits with out any kind of fore knowledge needed. It's just a solid, straight forward action romp with some nice bits of flash backs that provide a fun history for Alfred before he was just Bruce Wayne's butler.

On the art side Gedeon has a fun, cartooned style that really fits the fast paced action story well and the bright colors give it a fitting almost pop art style that really evokes the aesthetic of classic bond films it was based on.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    This reworking of the KBBeast as a cold war threat uncovered by Alfred during his tenure with Mi6 continues to be a thrilling spy romp.
    Back when Beware the Batman was airing, I was personally hoping they'd tie KGBeast to Alfred's MI6 past. So, kind of cool that idea is being used.

While this book started out as a tie-in to the tv show it's definitely shaken off the stigma of those kinds of media cash ins as its a fun story that can be easily enjoyed on its own merits with out any kind of fore knowledge needed.
    I've honestly thought DC has a good record with comic tie-ins. I've never watched the show, but I do think the story feels very stand-alone aside from the premise and Alfred's friends.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022