Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That is not true because a whole lot of us who did buy them in the 90's stopped buying the line many years ago. Most of the time it is because the writers and editors made us feel so unwelcome and acted like we older readers were the one responsible for sales tanking instead of their bad decisions and constant relaunches.
    They are not saying the entire demographc of the 90s is still there. They're saying that that demographic, or who remained, is who buys comics.

Kids don't buy Western comics.

Kids buy manga, they read webtoons

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by autbey View Post
    The same people who bought them in the 90s. I work in education, kids don't buy comics.

HI I am also in education-kids DO read comics.

The difference is what they want to read and what format.

They don't have an issue picking up a trade starring an Inhuman or Fantastic Four or Squirrel Girl or Lumberjanes or Faith or Miles Morales.

Nor as I have seen tearing into bins looking for Wally West, Deadpool, Kyle Rayner, Static or Teen Titans.

Pretty much every single character that has endured the hatred of certain parts of the fandom or management-they don't have issues with.

You are not going to get the kid with that $3.99 floppy unless it's in a discount bin.

You are going to get the kid with trades. The issue many parents bring up is FINDING said trades.

This is the disadvantage of having characters in movies and tv shows and they have nothing for someone to read.

Static at DC being the main example. That is why you are seeing those OGNs at DC starring almost whoever popping up.

Same with Shuri-who will have 6 different new books (non-comics) coming out between now and July 2022. Something no other Marvel character is getting.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

But it's those monthly floppies costing 3.99-5.99 that they rely on to bring in the consistent revenue. And which are bought mainly by adults with the disposable income.

Based on their buying trend...discounted books/trades/manga...it's safe to say that those kids don't really care about "relatability" as they're clearly not that invested in anything other than the fun/action aspect of the story and characters.

While it may happen, I'm not so sure any of the kids who would have bought Nubia 01 are overly concerned that a character is Trans. So the important target audience then becomes an older demographic who are able to recognise and understand and relate to those social themes that are important to them.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I'm 47 and have been working in education for 30 years. I have worked with thousands of kids. I can tell you ONE who actually bought and read comics on a consistent basis. ONE KID!
    Kids today read manga and watch anime. They are HEAVY into manga and anime and don't give a f*ck about comic books. They don't even know how to read them. When I go into the comic book shop, I mainly see guys my age.
    I'm generalizing here, but middle-aged guys are comic buyers and readers, kids read manga.
    Mutant and Proud!

And when did people start calling comic books "floppies?" They're "single issues" or "COMIC BOOKS!" Why does society feel the need to make up new terms for things that are already named?
    Mutant and Proud!

I've been buying my own comics since I was 13, in '84...and we (the comic book store I frequented) were calling them "floppies" way back then. I always thought it was a funny term as I equated it with floppy discs back then but, it is apropos because it does "flop" in your hand.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I've been buying my own comics since I was 13, in '84...and we (the comic book store I frequented) were calling them "floppies" way back then. I always thought it was a funny term as I equated it with floppy discs back then but, it is apropos because it does "flop" in your hand.
    Ha! I had no idea that term went back as far as '84! I was 10 in '84 and never heard that term. Back then, did you ever think we'd be discussing comic books on computers in 2021?!!!
    Mutant and Proud!

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

We can just promote Kitty Pryde as the every girl. She's the girl next door. I loved Spider-Man. The every man thing didn't bother me because he is. This seems to be more about popularity. Now back to Kitty, both characters have a lot in common. Except maybe Kitty has a few more bucks than Peter. Before the Buffy crowd they may fight this kicking and screaming. Y'know as a 45-year-old I was seen as over the hill at 27. So, thanks again.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 10-26-2021 at 09:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    HI I am also in education-kids DO read comics.

The difference is what they want to read and what format.

They don't have an issue picking up a trade starring an Inhuman or Fantastic Four or Squirrel Girl or Lumberjanes or Faith or Miles Morales.

Nor as I have seen tearing into bins looking for Wally West, Deadpool, Kyle Rayner, Static or Teen Titans.

Pretty much every single character that has endured the hatred of certain parts of the fandom or management-they don't have issues with.

You are not going to get the kid with that $3.99 floppy unless it's in a discount bin.

You are going to get the kid with trades. The issue many parents bring up is FINDING said trades.
    Kids(I mean teens btw, don't know if you meant younger) are much more likely to pick up trades for Iron man, Cap, Avengers, X-men, Spider-man than Inhumans, Squirrel girl, Miles, etc.The characters they see in other more popular media more often.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    Ha! I had no idea that term went back as far as '84! I was 10 in '84 and never heard that term. Back then, did you ever think we'd be discussing comic books on computers in 2021?!!!
    I don't think/don't know if it was widely used back then. It's just something my comic groups referred to it as because it was "floppy". I really can't say when that term actually became globally popular and accepted.

Not in the least.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 10-26-2021 at 09:40 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    LOL, that's one of the worst takes I've heard in a while, and I visit this board every day. Perpetually keeping Peter Parker as a hapless, broke twenty-something with no serious romantic prospects (or the potential for his life to mature in any way, at all, ever) makes him less relatable, not more.
    I personally hate MCU Spider-Man for this very reason. Maguire is GOAT. He was very relatable. Had personal issues, growing maturing as a character. I don't want Spider-Man to be in his late teens and reinforced by Shield or Stark for some reason.
    Last edited by Vishop; 10-26-2021 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    This. I had to laugh when everybody was going crazy because, "Clark Kent loves Lois Lane and can't kiss dudes!" when the story was about his son, which you would know if you were even moderately aware of what was going on in comics for the past couple years.
    Ohhh so much this! It was one hell acid test for who is reading comics even casually and who does not!
    Funk ones need to not even read comic, just some review on some container online to get the idea....do they just read the clickbati titles...?
    Yes the answer is yes isn't it?

Anyway back to the topic as someone that in Italy has a newsstand that also seel comics( here comics and mangas are sold also wher you can buy magazines newspapers...yeah yeah dying market and what else...already heard that ) and younger generations...buy mostly mangas, usually the ones more known and with famous anime behind(OP and Dragon ball are one hell of long sellers...all the years and still sell fairly well) as for comics Batman and spiderman...lill bit of xmen and superman...albeit the latter is kind of falling out of love...Avengers has its up and downs but latter avengers comics are not sold well. Italian comics run well (very well)for older generation( sometimes very old...some are 70's year old!)but mostly ignored by anyone who is not an hard-core comic fan.
    New generations buy loooot of gadgets...but whatever they buy, at whatever age, they do not develop much attachment. Book comics, toys, series...everything is just fast consuming an experience of a moment soon to be replaced by another's one. Is a worrying trend.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    And when did people start calling comic books "floppies?" They're "single issues" or "COMIC BOOKS!" Why does society feel the need to make up new terms for things that are already named?
    Shrug. Maybe it's a non U.S.A. thing. I've never heard of a comic book or magazine refered to as an floppy anything. Only floppies I've heard of were the 5 and 3.5 inch floppy disks and their drives.

Mighty Member

San Goku is a grand-father, and with Dragon Ball super he is more popular than ever. But what makes his personality has not changed: he remains this perpetual child, this Sayan warrior ready to do anything for victory, and his personal life does not change his personality. If superman is not as successful than he deserves, it's not because he is married or he has child, but because the authors have moved away from the basic concept, from what made the readers hooked on the character.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    I personally hate MCU Spider-Man for this very reason. Maguire is GOAT. He was very relatable. Had personal issues, growing maturing as a character. I don't want Spider-Man to be in his late teens and reinforced by Shield or Stark for some reason.
    I feel the same way about Jackman as Wolverine. After Logan he will always be my Wolverine. Even if Disney casts a more comic accurate little guy for the MCU version.

It’s like Feige said in a recent interview about that casting: It’s really about capturing the spirit or essence of the character, more so than just looking like him or her.