Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 83
  1. #46
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    8,026

    Default

    Yupp.
    That's all part of making the gears work in the machine...especially if he and his team are editing a large group like the X-slack.
    We are MUTANT...One people. One tribe. One family...Planet Arakko, FOREVER!!!

  2. #47
    Extraordinary Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,337

    Default

    Where in the real word is anyone at work with there kids unless it is bring your kid to work day. Why should having a child stop someone from doing "good works" how does it. What is the thought process behind having a kid means your too old to do anything. I mean last i checked there wasn't exactly and age limit on when people have kids and there are a lot of young parents out there that still somehow make it happen and go on to success and there are others that don't. Also it's fiction a character ages only as much as you say characters age. "Mutants age slow. Peter ages slow due to spider bite." If there are certain characters they don't want to "get old" they should go into it with a reason or a simple explanation why they haven't rather than doing the most and acting like the audience is the one jumping the shark.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

    My creator showcase thread ln cbr. http://https://community.cbr.com/showthread.php?150839-Art-Journey

    Number of People on my ignore list: 0

  3. #48
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Outside of alternate universe titles, the Big 2 heroes should remain in their primes. I don't want to read about Jean or Jubilee not doing something because they have babies.

    Marvel has that "Old Man" universe they are building. Send all the people that want the characters to be 35+ in that direction.

    Keep the main heroes as highly-experienced 27-year-olds at the most. Competent, but still young.

    As for whose still buying comics, it is mostly people who have been buying for decades, but they don't want to read about life insurance policies and babies either.
    Uh, Jubilee has a kid

    and it turned into a dragon

  4. #49
    Extraordinary Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,337

    Default

    Or how about like a story where MJ got pregnant and like the radioactive bite changed peter being pregnant with a powered spider child changes mj and she has super powers after that birth. I mean that sounds like it could be something. It doesn't always have to be a bad thing.

    edit: also just wanted to add for what you get comics is not an expensive medium. You get to see through the lense of somebody else but visually it's like a good book you get to do less work and have more wonder at imo. The average american spends $67 dollars a week on take out, well that is 12 comics at 3.99, 2 at 4.99 and a 5.99 special with some change left and unlike fast food you can enjoy it more than once.
    Last edited by jwatson; 10-25-2021 at 05:51 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

    My creator showcase thread ln cbr. http://https://community.cbr.com/showthread.php?150839-Art-Journey

    Number of People on my ignore list: 0

  5. #50
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Or how about like a story where MJ got pregnant and like the radioactive bite changed peter being pregnant with a powered spider child changes mj and she has super powers after that birth. I mean that sounds like it could be something. It doesn't always have to be a bad thing.

    edit: also just wanted to add for what you get comics is not an expensive medium. You get to see through the lense of somebody else but visually it's like a good book you get to do less work and have more wonder at imo. The average american spends $67 dollars a week on take out, well that is 12 comics at 3.99, 2 at 4.99 and a 5.99 special with some change left and unlike fast food you can enjoy it more than once.
    yeah and a 12 issue tpb is like 15 bucks on sale.

    eating food and buying funny books are two very different things

    you can also watch unlimited stuff on a number of subscription services for less than 15 dollars a month

    you can buy the witcher or red dead for like 15 dollars

    comics are very expensive especially if you are buying floppies

    (but I don't want to derail the thread)
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 10-25-2021 at 06:00 PM.

  6. #51
    Extraordinary Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    yeah and a 12 issue tpb is like 15 bucks on sale.

    eating food and buying funny books are two very different things

    you can also watch unlimited stuff on a number of subscription services for less than 15 dollars a month

    you can buy the witcher or red dead for like 15 dollars

    comics are very expensive especially if you are buying floppies

    (but I don't want to derail the thread)
    it's all in the eye of the beholder i guess. i like numbers so i adjust and move them so when i get comics it's a treat not a hindrance the same way i would guess those who spend money eating out or doing other things do. Not everyone actually does but i do think it's a good practice. It really narrows down what you truly enjoy too.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

    My creator showcase thread ln cbr. http://https://community.cbr.com/showthread.php?150839-Art-Journey

    Number of People on my ignore list: 0

  7. #52
    LET JEAN GREY BE FREE! Kitty&Piotr<3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Uh, Jubilee has a kid

    and it turned into a dragon
    Oh believe me, I am well aware.
    "Yes, it was a kind of adultery, but at the same time Jean wasn't being his wife anymore. I just felt that the spark between them had died out and it was time to give Scott someone else."
    -Grant Morrison on how it was Jean's fault Scott cheated.

    "Cyclops loves wilted roses because they remind him of dead redheads."
    -Gail

  8. #53
    Astonishing Member Omega Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    LOL, that's one of the worst takes I've heard in a while, and I visit this board every day. Perpetually keeping Peter Parker as a hapless, broke twenty-something with no serious romantic prospects (or the potential for his life to mature in any way, at all, ever) makes him less relatable, not more. People loved Peter and MJ's marriage, it didn't take away from the character, it evolved him. JDW makes even less sense saying this in 2021 when we have Miles, Spider-Gwen, and the rest of the legacy heroes to satisfy the teenage self-insert role. Into the Spider-Verse's portrayal of older Peter mentoring younger Miles being so successful proves there's a lot of value in letting the characters grow and develop over time. JDW is, to be diplomatic about it, misguided.
    Ever since Joe Quesada was in charge, Marvel's idea to "keep the characters relatable to younger readers" is to bring back to the status quo when they were growing up. We're lucky they didn't bring Gwen Stacy back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    I'm black, my favorite character in comics has always been this grumpy ass white dude named Wolverine..
    Who is a very old man. If JDW, Quesada and co. were around, he probably would be removed from the X-men because "young people can't relate".

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Yep. He said all of the O5 are in their late-20s AT THE OLDEST. It's ridiculous.
    They have to be because they are the same age as Peter Parker, who cannot ever become an old geezer at 30.

  9. #54
    Spectacular Member ComeOnBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    210

    Default

    I am only buying and reading New Mutants.

  10. #55
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    As with most things he says, I think JDW is full of it AND himself.

    Characters don't stop being relatable because they grow, age, or change. That's part of what MAKES them relatable.

    The worst part about all of this is that it's all tied into the rote adherence to nostalgia for Claremont which has been driving the books over the last decade, and ironically ignores the fact that part of what made his original run so iconic was that HE GREW AND CHANGED THE CHARACTERS rather than keep them mired in nostalgia for the original book in the 60s.
    The reason for "nostalgia for Claremont " as you put it is that Claremont really didn't do the J-POP and K-POP style characters that seem to appeal so much to people like you these days and basically *DON'T* stand the test of time. People appreciated and still do that.

  11. #56
    The Best There Is Wolverine12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,249

    Default

    I buy all the X books. Apparently I’m the target audience.
    You brought back Wolverine

    The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

  12. #57
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    8,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I buy all the X books. Apparently I’m the target audience.
    Exactatiously.

    You're the sort of reader I want to emulate when I grow up.
    Alas! I could never like ALL the X-books enough to buy them all.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 10-25-2021 at 08:40 PM.
    We are MUTANT...One people. One tribe. One family...Planet Arakko, FOREVER!!!

  13. #58
    Ultimate Member Ambaryerno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    13,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    The reason for "nostalgia for Claremont " as you put it is that Claremont really didn't do the J-POP and K-POP style characters that seem to appeal so much to people like you these days and basically *DON'T* stand the test of time. People appreciated and still do that.
    You clearly don't have a frelling clue what appeals to me, so I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth.
    Still hoping for that Helix Reunion...

    The New X-Men: Can't let you grow up because you make everyone look old. But we can sure as @#$% mindlessly kill you off for shock value!

    Pull List: N/A

  14. #59
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    5,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Or how about like a story where MJ got pregnant and like the radioactive bite changed peter being pregnant with a powered spider child changes mj and she has super powers after that birth. I mean that sounds like it could be something. It doesn't always have to be a bad thing.

    edit: also just wanted to add for what you get comics is not an expensive medium. You get to see through the lense of somebody else but visually it's like a good book you get to do less work and have more wonder at imo. The average american spends $67 dollars a week on take out, well that is 12 comics at 3.99, 2 at 4.99 and a 5.99 special with some change left and unlike fast food you can enjoy it more than once.
    6.... 67 dollars a week on TAKE OUT?!!Boi what the heck are you guys eating over there

    I do agree it's not as expensive as some think, but it difficult to get into and marvel needs to make reading guides, etc.

  15. #60
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by autbey View Post
    The same people who bought them in the 90s. I work in education, kids don't buy comics.
    That is not true because a whole lot of us who did buy them in the 90's stopped buying the line many years ago. Most of the time it is because the writers and editors made us feel so unwelcome and acted like we older readers were the one responsible for sales tanking instead of their bad decisions and constant relaunches.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •